Doug Mathews secondary suggestion

An extra pass rusher and bigger run stopper.

We already basically run a 4-3 because McDonald is basically an OLB that is coverage all the time

McDonald helps in run support but when he has to cover a slot, he is way too slow and trails behind the receiver as he did Saturday..

I agree with Doug somewhat. Move Calloway to CB .
McCullugh and Flowers continue to get beat in coverage. Two veterans that are used to being beat all game long. But they dominate in practice. Bench them
Move Charles back to safety.
Hadden has a shaky game but, he still made plays as well against Florida and otherwise has been very good all the other games

CB Hadden
CB Calloway
FS Charles
SS Slaughter
ST McDonald
No way the 1st team safeties dominate our 1st
team WRs and QB. No way

He didn’t mince words on his Sunday morning radio show.
Said the secondary is just not SEC caliber. Said he’d rather see untested but more athletic freshmen see more playing time than the veterans.
Also thinks we should move some wide receivers to the secondary during the bye week.
Maybe go to a 4-3-4 instead of the current 4-2-5.
4-3-4 makes little sense. We are stopping the run effectively. The secondary needs the support.

Reactions: TNbuc2
Florida scored 21 points through 3 quarter, relax. Our game plan was clearly bend don’t break zone. Our biggest fear was their run game. We did a great job stopping the run and forcing them to go for fourth down. We are a man coverage team.

Tennessee’s defensive scheme is predicated on their prolific offense. Heupel is gambling that we are going to outscore almost all opponents, therefore it‘s “keep the plays in front of us” and don’t give up easy scores. Ultimately, the only “stat” that really matters is the final score.

Tennessee’s defensive scheme is predicated on their prolific offense. Heupel is gambling that we are going to outscore almost all opponents, therefore it‘s “keep the plays in front of us” and don’t give up easy scores. Ultimately, the only “stat” that really matters is the final score.
Ahh the Lincoln Reilly Oklahoma approach

Reactions: cardvolfan
Pitt game says otherwise.

McCullugh and Flowers continue to get beat in coverage. Two veterans that are used to being beat all game long. But they dominate in practice. Bench them
Hadden has a shaky game but, he still made plays as well against Florida and otherwise has been very good all the other games

CB Hadden
CB Calloway
FS Charles
SS Slaughter
ST McDonald
Doesn’t seem realistic to convert a receiver to corner and have him up to speed in 2 weeks. The ones that have been practicing and playing for years still don’t know how to do it. They are all we have to work with. I like the idea of putting more pressure on the quarterback and giving him less time. Maybe they will have to stick to short hot routes.

Folks it the Coach. I cringed when Hep named him to the staff. Martinez He was here with Butch and was terrible and still is. He's been more places than a hobo. Look at his Bio. Sometime back maybe 25-30 years we had a group of DB's that led the SEC and the Nation with INT's Who was the guy? Had some insane number for the year like in the 20's
Maybe Banks needs to pick his own secondary coach.

For the 4-3 guys out there, that defense is effectively dead. Unless there is a te in the game, you are at a disadvantage in the passing game. You are insta subbing into nickel packages when the offense has 4 wr on the field.
I know everyone hates watching the offenses dink and dunk and run for yardage, but that is intentional by the defense.
There is a prevalent theory, actually factual, that yards do not win games. Time of possession does not either. Points do. And, the more plays an offense is on the field during a series, the less likely they are to score touchdowns. If you give up no plays of 20+ yards on a series, you won’t lose the series. With our offense scoring quickly, if we don’t give up big play touchdowns early in the game, we start stressing offenses and dictating what they do. This was exactly what we saw this game except for the last five mins of the game. Once we get ahead and it is late, they have to throw it right into the deep coverage which we are sitting on.
It is opposite of the complimentary football of the 80s and 90s, but our Offensive pressure now dictates the defensive style we run. Think Golden State warriors. They made so many threes that other teams had to shoot them too in higher numbers, which the warriors were waiting for, and thus fell further behind.

Doesn’t seem realistic to convert a receiver to corner and have him up to speed in 2 weeks. The ones that have been practicing and playing for years still don’t know how to do it. They are all we have to work with. I like the idea of putting more pressure on the quarterback and giving him less time. Maybe they will have to stick to short hot routes.
Carl Pickens is the only guy I’ve ever seen as a Vol who could be prolific both ways. Switching mid-season has rarely produced SEC-level results.

Basically my thoughts as well. I think he knows that UT's offense is deadly. Basically able to put up points at will. He knows that they can score in 1 min or less. So letting a team eat up clock and moving it 20-20 doesn't exactly worry him much.

Now LB/DB pass coverage was overall terrible still. I do think they were worried on bringing pressure only to have AR outrun our LB/DB though.

Side note, we still won.

Reactions: cardvolfan

CB Hadden
CB Calloway
FS Charles
SS Slaughter
ST McDonald

This isn't a bad suggestion, if Calloway can do it. He has the athleticism and he isn't getting PT right now. On one hand, it seems like a desperate move to shake them up like this. On the other, I remember doing it in 1989 when Pickens was moved to Safety and some others in the secondary were shaken up. It worked and UT went 11-1. Our safeties are seniors. They aren't going to get better. Using the bye week to get the changes implemented makes sense.

I’ve been saying it since last year. Mccollugh and flowers are a step slow. I don’t see any improvements from either of those guys from last year. It’s crucial to have a guy or two on the backend that has the speed and instincts to make break on a pass and be very solid tackling one on one (average tacklers but we’ll below in the agility/burst department). Those guys aren’t that kind of player. It’s especially disappointing since they’ve been getting normal playing time for 3 years now.

VN Store

Back