Doug Mathews might be interesting this morning

Has been very supportive of Pruitt and this staff so far.
If you listen, please post his comments and your reaction.
Airs at 9am eastern Sundays.

104.5 The Zone
I listened ( as opposed to the posters who give their opinion without bothering to listen)
He didn't have a knee jerk opinion like most on this thread.
He acknowledged UT has some serious problem..mostly lack of depth and lack of experience but the most glaring problem he saw yesterday was the lack of effort . No excuse for that.
I don;t recall him mentioning Fulmer but I doubt he's part of the mindless crowd demanding everyone employed by UTAD be fired.
On the positive side...he said the SEC East was terrible. Outside of Georgia...every other team is weak which gives the Vols a chance to win some games IF they can learn from their mistakes and improve from week to week.

He’s greatly impressed with Ga State.
Vols looked confused, lackadaisical, unaware, no sense of urgency.
Poor performance by entire coaching staff.
Nobody showed any emotion.
Not a single position group outplayed GaState.
This was a bad loss, started with the coaches.
Devastating loss.
He’ll always back Vols 100%, but understands why fans are sick of it and why they won’t.
Believes head coach and coordinators are very good.

No pass rush, ILB and OLB awful in pass coverage.

Problem on offense began with Guarantano, played with no emotion, played robotically, poor decisions with where to throw the ball.

Offensive line was awful, coaches need to play their best 5, didn’t understand all the substitutions.

Didn’t understand Chandler getting benched, he’s our “bellcow” rb.

Chaney has to do a much better job calling the game. Has great respect, but he did a poor job.

This is ALL on the coaching staff...team not prepared, coaches with no enthusiasm.

As bad as we played, the SECE is horrible.
Not sure how to blame Chaney when JG refuses to throw downfield. That changes the results of playcalling when the wrong choice is made repeatedly by the QB. Also, not being able to run because of an inept line removes half the playbook.

I listened ( as opposed to the posters who give their opinion without bothering to listen)
He acknowledged UT has some serious problem..mostly lack of depth and lack of experience but the most glaring problem he saw yesterday was the lack of effort . No excuse for that.
I don;t recall him mentioning Fulmer but I doubt he's part of the mindless crowd demanding everyone employed by UTAD be fired.
On the positive side...he said the SEC East was terrible. Outside of Georgia...every other team is weak which gives the Vols a chance to win some games IF they can learn from their mistakes and improve from week to week.

Seems a bit subjective. I don't think you can call UF weak yet; they looked bad against Miami but at least Miami is a real P5 team and they actually won.

The rest, I guess but Vandy played Georgia. Missouri and SC lost and Kentucky struggled at least half the game against Toledo but none of them did as badly as we did against a Sun Belt team at home.

So yeah, the East does seem to be weak but....nobody was to as close to weak as we were yesterday.

Doug was most critical of coaches Ive ever heard him. Questioned rotation of OL players, especially moving Freshmen around. Questioned benching Chandler, said if sat down because of fumble then why use him on kick returns in 2nd half. Questioned failure to get ball to playmakers, counting total of 21 touches between Chandler, Jennings, DWA and Calloway. Said Chaney nas to call better games. Said Ignont and Deandre Johnson shouldn't be playing LB. Wants to see Crouch, Banks, and Too'too playing more. Said Warrior was just a body in the secondary, didnt make plays.

A team losses to Ga State (one step away from FCS), and then says we have a chance to win games vs. SEC teams? I don't care how weak they are, they ALL would have beat Ga State yesterday...Ga State was the weakest team on our schedule....only way we win any SEC games is if the other team overlooks us.

I summarized before his show started:

He will acknowledge the loss. Give it lip service as to why it is unacceptable. Then he will talk about how they can (and will) turn things around.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Sounds like he is about right. We were playing like it was a practice and forgot you have to win the game. I blame coaching first and foremost on this one. If defense is supposed to be his strong suit, he should’ve been able to beat state with the local high school defense.

Reactions: feathersax
He’s greatly impressed with Ga State.
Vols looked confused, lackadaisical, unaware, no sense of urgency.
Poor performance by entire coaching staff.
Nobody showed any emotion.
Not a single position group outplayed GaState.
This was a bad loss, started with the coaches.
Devastating loss.
He’ll always back Vols 100%, but understands why fans are sick of it and why they won’t.
Believes head coach and coordinators are very good.

No pass rush, ILB and OLB awful in pass coverage.

Problem on offense began with Guarantano, played with no emotion, played robotically, poor decisions with where to throw the ball.

Offensive line was awful, coaches need to play their best 5, didn’t understand all the substitutions.

Didn’t understand Chandler getting benched, he’s our “bellcow” rb.

Chaney has to do a much better job calling the game. Has great respect, but he did a poor job.

This is ALL on the coaching staff...team not prepared, coaches with no enthusiasm.

As bad as we played, the SECE is horrible.

Johnson (#13) and Ignont (#23) can’t play....Banks, Crouch and Henry T are quick twitch sudden players who need to play.

#18 on defense (Warrior) is just a body out there. Can’t and won’t make plays.

“Tough decision” at qb for Pruitt and Chaney. JG made awful decisions with where to throw the ball, still can’t recognize a corner blitz after 20 or so starts, should’ve picked up first down rather than sliding too soon. Not sure what’s behind JG at qb, but Chaney has a tough decision coming on who he needs to go with at QB.

Gonna find out how good the staff is after this week.
JG has had a chance...yes, it was not a very good group to have to be the leader of, but, you are dealt a hand and you have to play it. His time has past and I think, he knows this. Time to move forward with what will be there the next few years. Sorry JG, it just didn't happen for you.

Not sure how to blame Chaney when JG refuses to throw downfield. That changes the results of playcalling when the wrong choice is made repeatedly by the QB. Also, not being able to run because of an inept line removes half the playbook.

If your QB won’t do what you’re asking then bench him IMMEDIATELY and go to the QB who will. If you stay with JG and he doesn’t change then it’s ALL on you as OC.

Doug laid it out pretty clearly. Not ready. Confused. Not aceptable. They used this game as a practice and got beat up bu a bunch of FCS players and coaches. Remember their coach is the guy that took app state to Michigan and beat them. We didn't even hit anyone. The hardest hit I saw all game was by our safety on our LB on the last GS touchdown. Knocked them both out of the game.

Will Ignont is terrible. He blew several assignments and Warrior is average at best.

Darrell Taylor, Ignot, and Warrior are long in the tooth.

Play Banks, Crouch, MCullogh and give JJ some run too! Hopefully Roman Harrison is healthy and available next week. Henry T looked good for his first college game.

1567343303882-jpeg.221875

Jeremy Pruitt should be made to ride this until he can actually field a real football team

Reactions: Toujours Pret

VN Store

Back