Doug Mathews, Jimmy Hyams, Wes Rucker…

They're alright, let's not bash just to bash.
Thank you! I can't stand it when people bash these guys just because. For most of them, the amount of time they put into their work does not match what they're paid. They do it because they love it.
Remember that they're all bringing you content for free. Also remember how easy it is to change the station.

Reactions: WestTennesseeVol
Wes is a good reporter but he comes across as a major d**k. Smarmy and Full of himself. I’ve watched him move up in his career since he was here in Chattanooga and he’s just gotten more arrogant. That’s my only issue with him.

Agree wholeheartedly.

He has been a massive d**chebag on Twitter for years now.

Why the compulsion to be always negative, for no apparent reason? If you don't like them, don't read/listen to them.

Some of you folks need to get a life.

Look at his comment history, on here less than a week and nothing positive to say

Why the compulsion to be always negative, for no apparent reason? If you don't like them, don't read/listen to them.

Some of you folks need to get a life.
As an adult if I don’t agree with someone or dislike someone’s opinions on the internet especially on message boards I usually just scroll on past giving zero thoughts about it. It’s just my opinion bruh!

Wes Rucker, Brent Hubbs, Jimmy Hyams

Rucker gets too political. Wes no one cares about your left wing views. Hubbs sounds like he has a mouth full of Big League chew. Does Hyams even know Brohm isnt our coach?

Don't care enough about 'em to really develop a like or dislike. Can't recall the last time I heard or read any of their stuff. Besides they're just trying to do a job. Might not be very good about it, but can't dislike them for their effort.

I have known Doug for a long time and have always liked what he brought to the table. He is a true Tennessee fan/supporter even though he played at Vanderbilt. He does get a lot of inside information and is usually up to date.

this is true.

Too many think Fulmer is his only source which is not close to the truth. Doug knows hundreds if not thousands of football coaches having been around football and coaching his entire life. He has hundreds and hundreds of contacts in the coaching profession let alone hundreds more in the media profession.

I just laugh at the Fulmer references. So funny.

As far as the 3 mentioned by OP, I've met and talked ball with all 3 of them. Found all to be open to talking ball. Very opinionated. But all know their stuff.

Doug and I were talking after the 2014 Florida game in Knoxville. His comment, on target, was "Is that the worse Florida team to ever sit foot in Neyland?" and it absolutely was..

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I wouldn’t listen to Wes Rucker or Hyams if they were the only thing on. In fact, I had a Rucker/ Hyams filter installed in my car. Disables the radio after sensing the first syllable from either one.

I can’t believe I made it through that without any invective or name calling. Personal growth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cormock Mac
Rucker, like many in his profession, loves the sound of his own voice way too much. I've stopped listening to 247's podcasts because of him. He'll say the very same thing in six different ways. They are usually twice as long as the Volquest podcasts, but you find out less in one hour than you do in 30 minutes with Volquest. My two cents.

Doug Matthews actually played the game (led the SEC in rushing at Vandy) and was a successful coach at Tennessee. Knows the game as well as anyone in the business. If you don't like his show, the facts just don't line up with your opinion. Hyams has contacts and has some interesting shows but has no personality. Rucker doesn't know his audience and adds little to the conversation.

Mathews seems ok. Hyams reports what I already know. Don't know Rucker.
Hyams reported Riley was headed to LSU even after it was reported by Riley he was not going to LSU. He stated this on live TV. He chimed in with the Nick Saban telling everyone for weeks he was not headed to Alabama as his example.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Hyams reported Riley was headed to LSU even after it was reported by Riley he was not going to LSU. He stated this on live TV. He chimed in with the Nick Saban telling everyone for weeks he was not headed to Alabama as his example.
Apparently, he also reports what no one else knows, including those involved! lol

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Rucker's can be funny. Doesn't take things too seriously. Good people.

Jimmy...is...a real Jimmy.

Idk Doug but people seem to respect him. Old UT coach.

VN Store

Back