Doug Mathews, Jimmy Hyams, Wes Rucker…

They all seem to get bad information, or are just the last to know inn the case of Hyams. Rucker is the only one of the bunch I don't mind, but even he seems to be wrong far too often. Didn't Rucker stake out TYS during the last round of Grumors or was that someone else?

A big reason I have satellite radio. Living in Knoxville and when your morning show was Mickey, Heather and Jacoby shows you're not taking the market serious- all 3 were/are casual fans with limited sports knowledge. The other stations are just too low budget and are geared towards the younger generation that was raised on losing football but winning Vol Twitter.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I listen to Doug Mathews but it's difficult sometimes. I need a road map to follow where he's going. The man talks so slow and he gets side-tracked on every point. It would take him 20 minutes to read a three-minute speech. But, that aside, I still listen to him.

Reactions: murfvol1
not much for talking heads
grew up in days of tom siler, ben brd and marvin west
knox media took a bad turn w/ al browning
did enjoy mike strange, ben fredrickson

Last edited:
Don't have much faith in Basilio or Hyams when they start with their "insider" information. Kind of like Rucker for the most part. None are completely dependable. Even info they report that is valid at the time they say it may change. You have to take it all with a grain of salt.

The two I mentioned seem to be the ones most likely to flat out make stuff up.

Wes is a good writer but his Twitter feed is unbearable. I don't follow him there. It's just too much. But I'd argue that he's one of the best WRITERS out there. Jimmy's tendency to morph into a negative Nancy has isolated himself from me. I don't read or listen to anything he says. I like Doug on the radio. His shows feel like a calm, informative conversation. I find it relaxing.

Last edited:
I like Doug Mathews. He tries to stay positive on any coaching staff even when he shouldn't be but he doesn't start controversy for ratings.
I have known Doug for a long time and have always liked what he brought to the table. He is a true Tennessee fan/supporter even though he played at Vanderbilt. He does get a lot of inside information and is usually up to date.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back