Dormady

It's as likely bUTch'll RS QD as
him RSing Kamara. Dobbs goes down or we're leading by 4 tds in the 4th or.....you get it now. Finally find a solid, productive #2 and jeopardize the season by taking him off the roster for 2015? Let's figure your brain just farted. Jennings has options as a DB or may develop into a solid QB, we've not seen Jones' contributions and Guarantano might end up with that RS in '16. If Dormady keeps it up and Jones or Jennings nicely ascend the learning and development curves, UT will be sitting pretty at the QB position. Right now, depth at QB and RB is improving, but still both works in progress.

You don't take a player "off the roster" if you plan on redshirting him. He's still very much on the roster, practicing, in the meeting rooms, at games etc, preparing all the time. He would just not get into a game unless you felt you needed to burn his redshirt and play him. Last year was the best example of this....Dobbs was going to be redshirted, didn't get in a game, until Butch determined that he HAD to play because Peterman couldn't.

Agree with everything else, we're in great shape at the QB position going forward.

It's as likely bUTch'll RS QD as
him RSing Kamara. Dobbs goes down or we're leading by 4 tds in the 4th or.....you get it now. Finally find a solid, productive #2 and jeopardize the season by taking him off the roster for 2015? Let's figure your brain just farted. Jennings has options as a DB or may develop into a solid QB, we've not seen Jones' contributions and Guarantano might end up with that RS in '16. If Dormady keeps it up and Jones or Jennings nicely ascend the learning and development curves, UT will be sitting pretty at the QB position. Right now, depth at QB and RB is improving, but still both works in progress.

You realize redshirting doesn't work like it does in NCAA on Playstation, right? No one is "off the roster." You receive a redshirt assuming you meet the qualification of not participating in any live snaps. If we only need a QB for mop up duty behind Dobbs, we have plenty of guys capable in that department.

Reactions: 1 person
Dobbs.....5-8, 94 yds, 1 TD
Dormady...5-11, 96 yds, 1TD

Perhaps your perception isn't reality.

Most of Dormady's in completions were late in the second half.Several Malone should have caught. Our receivers definitely have work to do. Getting Smith full healthy, then getting North, Croom and Williams in fall practice will hopefully help.

Most of Dormady's in completions were late in the second half.Several Malone should have caught. Our receivers definitely have work to do. Getting Smith full healthy, then getting North, Croom and Williams in fall practice will hopefully help.

Was very impressed with Dormady. My posting their stats was in no way meant to be critical of QD....I was more defending Dobbs, as usual.

Still not as impressed with our WRs. Just not consistent enough. That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic that we get everything cleaned up by the Fall. Hope against hope that PWill is ready to go.

Last edited:
Dormady looked good throwing the ball and surprised me with his footwork in the pocket. But I'm waiting to see what he looks like when live bullets are flying around him

Was very impressed with Dormady. My posting their stats was in no way meant to be critical of QD....I was more defending Dobbs, as usual.

Still not as impressed with our WRs. Just not consistent enough. That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic that we get everything cleaned up by the Fall. Hope against hope that PWill is ready to go.

I agree with you. And times I have had my concerns with Dobbs and his accuracy but even with the concerning play at WR he really looks to have worked on his accuracy down field. Both QB's looked really good throwing the ball and had several drops by WR's and TE's. Plus when they are rotating every series it has to be harder to stay focused but loved the way they both ran the offense. Josh looked like a veteran and Dormady, considering he should still be a HS SR looked very poised. Especially with him only recently starting to throw again. Pretty incredible to be honest. My concerns about Josh's accuracy went way down. It was just a spring game but you can tell everything is headed in the right direction. Should be safe to assume Dormady is the back up this season and will just get better and more comfortable.

You don't take a player "off the roster" if you plan on redshirting him....

Agree with everything else, we're in great shape at the QB position going forward.

Reps are precious commodities. Practice reps, and game reps (yes, even "mop up" reps are hugely valuable to a young QB who has never played on an SEC stage before, at SEC speeds).

So you give the majority of your reps to your starting QB. Most of the rest, you give to your #2 guy. If you were to redshirt your best backup, with the intent of only bringing him into play should your starting QB get injured, then you're probably giving any extra reps you got to another backup, say the #3 QB, the one who's doing mop-up duty and filling in when the starter needs a breather.

And that means your true #2 isn't progressing as quickly as he could. Which is just not smart.

No, it's really simple. Butch will name the very best of his freshmen QBs backup. He'll potentially redshirt two or three of the others (we have 2 walk-ons in addition to the 3 on scholarship).

Right now, that very best one is Quentin Dormady. If Sheriron Jones makes a huge splash when he arrives in the fall, maybe he can unseat QD for the #2 spot. We'll see.

Absolutely agree with you KB, we're in much better shape at QB than I think we've been in many years. Much less worried about depth at this position than I was a month ago. Still inexperienced depth, but not totally unprepared inexperienced depth.

Last edited:
How much credit do we need to give to the Debord/Sheridan combo? Our QBs look really good, better even then Worley, Peterman, and Dobbs did last year and two of them are EE freshman. Whatever is being done to develop them seems to be working.

Reactions: 2 people
How much credit do we need to give to the Debord/Sheridan combo? Our QBs look really good, better even then Worley, Peterman, and Dobbs did last year and two of them are EE freshman. Whatever is being done to develop them seems to be working.

I think we gotta give credit where credit is due. Great progress since the new year for both Dobbs and Dormady. I think the QB coaching team deserve a lot of credit for that.

Definitely makes me feel good about the depth behind Dobbs if the unfortunate happens. Should get some playing time against bowling green and WCU

D-O-R-M-A-D-Y
Someday, all of VolNation will know how to spell his name. :good!:

I think people think that is his name because they are listening to the Vol Network... Quieten Dormandy and Jarrett Geronimo will be handing off to Alvin Camaro in the scissors play next year...

VN spells like Kesling speaks...

No, he looked like a seasoned QB overall in fact.

Did he scramble at all during the time he played? I don't remember it if he did.

Yes and he threw a ball that should have been intercepted by a linebacker...It would have had it been the first team defense. The worsy part is he rushed it had a man wide open for the touchdown right over the linebackers. But over all good day, just not ready to crown him as Dobbs successor yet but was fairly impressive for a freshman.

Dobbs goes down and the season is still going to be about 2 wins less with him at the QB...JMO

Dobbs looked like Joe Montana and Malone looked like Jerry Rice in last years orange and white game. Might be wise to wait until Dobbs has a good game against a good team before getting to carried away. Not saying he hasn't improved but I need more proof then practice videos against air and a scrimmage. We seem to always set ourselves up for disappointment with to much talk. If Dobbs doesn't look like one of the best qb's in college football next season which he isn't some people will start complaining about him regressing and blaming Debord.

Last edited:
I ran into Quinten Dormandy in Pigeon Forge on Sunday. He was playing putt-putt with his mom. He was very nice to me and my star struck son and talked with us for a few minutes.

I'm happy with both Dobbs and Dormady. Watching the spring game, it's obvious why Dormady threw for 5903 yards and 59 touchdowns. He's got an arm. (And he missed his whole Jr. year with an injury). Footwork and accuracy look great. It's Dobb's job until he loses it, and, as posted here, Maybe a reshirt is good for Quinton.

Other quarterbacks are in the wings. We haven't even seen what Sheriron Jones will bring to the table, and Jarrett Guarantano is coming in from NJ (hopefully he won't bail out to Rutgers) for 2016 signing class. His film looks awesome.

We've come a long way, baby. Just to emphasize this point, I'm pasting in a paragraph written about the 2013 Tennessee Florida game down in the swamp. Thank GOD we are still not down in these depths.

Here goes:
The Vols were also playing a new quarterback, but Butch Jones started Nathan Peterman over Justin Worley by choice. That decision backfired big time for the Vols, as they only amassed five passing yards in the first half while Peterman turned the ball over four times. Worley finally replaced him, but by then it was too late. The Vols finished with six turnovers and only 220 yards of total offense. Their defense was stuck on the field for nearly 40 minutes. That's not a recipe for success.

Dobbs looked like Joe Montana and Malone looked like Jerry Rice in last years orange and white game. Might be wise to wait until Dobbs has a good game against a good team before getting to carried away. Not saying he hasn't improved but I need more proof then practice videos against air and a scrimmage. We seem to always set ourselves up for disappointment with to much talk. If Dobbs doesn't look like one of the best qb's in college football next season which he isn't some people will start complaining about him regressing and blaming Debord.

Like 301 yards passing and 166 yards rushing against South Carolina?

192 yards passing and 75 yards rushing, while not even playing the entire game against Bama?

16 for 21 for 129 and 76 yards rushing in a bowl game.

I'll take those numbers.

Dobbs had a pretty good game vs the 2nd best defense in the SEC last year (Bama), dominated SCar, completely annihilated Kentucky, kept us in the Mizzou game despite battling an absolute jailbreak pass rush all night, won the game with his legs vs Vanderbilt and evidently ran and threw well enough vs Iowa to win MVP of the bowl game. Of course he needs to improve some things in regards to his passing accuracy and by all accounts he's doing just that. He can always show more, just like all the other leaders and top players on the team. But I think he's shown enough that he's plenty good enough to win a lot of games this year. I have much more concern for our WRs and OL at this point.

Dormady looked good. i think people were afraid he was another Worley. Even though he isn't a true DT QB he has good wheels, and looks good throwing on the move when outside the pocket. made a freshmen mistake on the almost pick but otherwise seemed to know what he was doing. I am just glad we have a backup QB that looks like he can step up and play if needed. not willing to bet my season on Dormady starting but wouldn't be worried about him closing out games.

I was impressed with how mature Dormady looked physically. I'm accustomed to our freshman QBs coming in as string beans who look like they'd break if they took a good hit. Dormady looks far more like a guy with a few years of S&C on him already.

All we really need is wilks..... just wilks. he could do it without a OLine. Especially if he had his 3 wolfs t-shirt on under his pads.

Like 301 yards passing and 166 yards rushing against South Carolina?

(worst defense in the SEC) even Kentucky ran wild on them

192 yards passing and 75 yards rushing, while not even playing the entire game against Bama?

(to be fair Alabama was up 27-0 when Dobbs entered the game) guessing Alabama relaxed just a bit and played some reserves.

16 for 21 for 129 and 76 yards rushing in a bowl game.

(it was Iowa)

I'll take those numbers.

Like I said I just want to see how he does against good defenses before declaring him a great quarterback. I have no doubt he's improved but people talking Heisman and best QB in college football is just crazy imo.

Defenses starting adjusting ie Vanderbilt and Missouri and things didn't go quite as well. Iowa was just slower then the next return of Halley's comet.

Still I think if our receivers can stay healthy Dobbs will have a big year just maybe not a big as some people think. Also losing Von Pearson will hurt more then people realize.

***Sorry didn't mean to insert my comments in your post like that.

Last edited:
Dobbs had a pretty good game vs the 2nd best defense in the SEC last year (Bama), dominated SCar, completely annihilated Kentucky, kept us in the Mizzou game despite battling an absolute jailbreak pass rush all night, won the game with his legs vs Vanderbilt and evidently ran and threw well enough vs Iowa to win MVP of the bowl game. Of course he needs to improve some things in regards to his passing accuracy and by all accounts he's doing just that. He can always show more, just like all the other leaders and top players on the team. But I think he's shown enough that he's plenty good enough to win a lot of games this year. I have much more concern for our WRs and OL at this point.

Very good post. Again just saying people may be getting a little ahead of what realistic expectations for Dobbs should be. Fact is we haven't seen a great game against a good defense yet. Glad its Dobbs though and not a headcase cause there's going to be a lot of pressure on his shoulders.

Very good post. Again just saying people may be getting a little ahead of what realistic expectations for Dobbs should be. Fact is we haven't seen a great game against a good defense yet. Glad its Dobbs though and not a headcase cause there's going to be a lot of pressure on his shoulders.

Are you not counting Bama bc they may or may not have game planned against Dobbs?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back