Dooley's recruiting wasn't as bad as you think.

In 2010 Dooley signed 8 players currently on NFL rosters. These include Justin Hunter, James Stone, Mychal Rivera, Jawuan James, Da'Rick Rogers, Zach Fulton, Matt Sims, and Tyler Bray. Rajion Neal was recently cut by Green Bay. In 2011 Dooley signed A.J. Johnson, Curt Maggitt, Brian Randolph, Jordan Williams, and Antonio Richardson. In 2012 he signed Jason Croom, Alton Howard, Latroy Lewis, and 2 current NFL players Daniel McCullers and Cordarrelle Patterson. Granted numerous players over Dooley's 3 years didn't live up to expectations, but that happens in a lot of college programs.

Unfortunately it takes more than 19 players over the span of 4 years to make team compete.

In 2010 Dooley signed 8 players currently on NFL rosters. These include Justin Hunte, James Stone, Mychal Rivera, Jawuan James, Da'Rick Rogers, Zach Fulton, Matt Sims, and Tyler Bray. Rajion Neal was recently cut by Green Bay. In 2011 Dooley signed A.J. Johnson, Curt Maggitt, Brian Randolph, Jordan Williams, and Antonio Richardson. In 2012 he signed Jason Croom, Alton Howard, Latroy Lewis, and 2 current NFL players Daniel McCullers and Cordarrelle Patterson. Granted numerous players over Dooley's 3 years didn't live up to expectations, but that happens in a lot of college programs.

The bolded are guys that committed to Kiffin. That staff also put in a lot of time in on Da'Rick, AJ, and Randolph and Tiny. Not giving them full credit but Dooley didn't land all those guys by his lonesome.

And TBH, Tennessee sells itself for recruits. It's almost malpractice for Tennessee to have a recruiting class finish below 25.

Reactions: 1 person
Dooley literally recruited willy nilly, had no plan, had no system, had no real anything. With our team now you are witnessing the mash up of players who fit a system and ones who dont.

Thanksgiving is tomorrow, be thankful Dooley is gone.

imho, it's time to stop bashing Sunseri. He didn't help much here but he is a good coach and has helped immensely at every other place he has been and currently is coaching the undefeated & reigning NC FSU defensive line.

It doesn't matter if Kiffin or Dooley recruited top five classes every year. They are the reason our defense was so poor last year and the reason we could barely field an offensive line this year. I felt bad for what Butch walked into last year on defense. I'm 48 and I think I could have outrun most of the Lbers and secondary. I am concerned about our oline situation still, but CBJ is for sure upgrading our defense. I imagine our freshman ol will show a lot of improvement next year, and maybe some of these guys we bring in, along with the ones injured or redshirted will be an upgrade to what we have seen on the field this year. I haven't researched all the classes in the past and frankly don't care to, but some of you guys would use in your arguments a number one ranked recruiting class even though you know only one or two stayed with the said team for all four years.

Dooley's recruiting classes all out ranked Missouri during the same time span and it wasn't even close. How did we get so far behind Missouri in talent last Saturday ?

Dooley's recruiting classes all out ranked Missouri during the same time span and it wasn't even close. How did we get so far behind Missouri in talent last Saturday ?

Injuries, suspensions, and no Oline, that one was easy. We still lost only by one possession.

Dude last game was senior night we have about 3-4 seniors that actually make an impact on the field ... Dooleys fault.

Lack of planning to have enough o line players also Dooleys fault.

We win 2-3 more games this year with a deeper oline and a little more depth in the dline and secondary
Dooley's fault, partially. Could it be part CBJ's fault also? One could ask why those players were not coached up to contribute? They would have been Juniors and our Jrs would have been sophomores when he took over.

CBJ walked into a crap storm but he had players. Its pretty easy when you can bring in players like Barnett, Kelly jr., Pearson etc and simply plug and play them.

What about the oline? We brought in arguably the highest rated Juco Olineman in this past class and he's riding the pine for the most part.

If were gonna include player development during the Dooley days in the conversation, might as well talk about CBJ and staff also.

How has CBJ done with player development?

Dooley's fault, partially. Could it be part CBJ's fault also? One could ask why those players were not coached up to contribute? They would have been Juniors and our Jrs would have been sophomores when he took over.

CBJ walked into a crap storm but he had players. Its pretty easy when you can bring in players like Barnett, Kelly jr., Pearson etc and simply plug and play them.

What about the oline? We brought in arguably the highest rated Juco Olineman in this past class and he's riding the pine for the most part.

If were gonna include player development during the Dooley days in the conversation, might as well talk about CBJ and staff also.

How has CBJ done with player development?

No, there was a void of no lineman recruits in a year. That is the void we are in now.

Dooley deserves credit for Justin Hunter in that 2010 class, but that's it. I think a few of those guys were early enrollees (Bray's the only one I remember for certain) so Orgeron not persuading them to skip class the next morning had more to do with their recruitment than Dooley did.

Ed did try to persuade them to skip class.

Everything about Dooley oozed suck.. His coaching, his hit or miss recruiting, PR. In game coaching was the best clown show you've ever seen..(Vandy 2011) (Missouri 2012) to name a couple.. Remember everyone talking about depth being the reason we got shellacked in the 2nd halves of games against anyone half decent.. Wasn't depth, it was shat coaching..

I posted this before season started. This is how good Dools did for the Vols.

STARTING STARTS

Tennessee's offensive line enters the 2014 season with just six career combined starts, which is by far the least in the nation. While the Vols are replacing their entire starting unit from 2013, most of the SEC is welcoming back multiple starters. Here's what the rest of the league returns up front, according to each program's preseason media guide.

Team Returning career starts

Alabama 37

Arkansas 47

Auburn 112

Florida 55

Georgia 57

Kentucky 73

LSU 75

Mississippi State 76

Missouri 72

Ole Miss 42

South Carolina 113

Tennessee 6

Texas A&M 89

Vanderbilt 83

That's just...wow. It's almost funny.

I posted this before season started. This is how good Dools did for the Vols.

STARTING STARTS

Tennessee's offensive line enters the 2014 season with just six career combined starts, which is by far the least in the nation. While the Vols are replacing their entire starting unit from 2013, most of the SEC is welcoming back multiple starters. Here's what the rest of the league returns up front, according to each program's preseason media guide.

Team Returning career starts

Alabama 37

Arkansas 47

Auburn 112

Florida 55

Georgia 57

Kentucky 73

LSU 75

Mississippi State 76

Missouri 72

Ole Miss 42

South Carolina 113

Tennessee 6

Texas A&M 89

Vanderbilt 83

That should be Nuff Said, but it won't be for some. They see kids playing their hearts out against the odds and getting close to wins in almost every game, and see crappy coaching. Fire Butch now nonsense. Like I said in an earlier post, you can't fix stupid!

Because numbers mean nothing when the players are no longer on campus or didn't live up to their ranking

are you freaking crazy-Doolittle didn't recruit von bell ,he sit in his office and played solitary, but damn was he good at that!!!

Dooley deserves credit for Justin Hunter in that 2010 class, but that's it. I think a few of those guys were early enrollees (Bray's the only one I remember for certain) so Orgeron not persuading them to skip class the next morning had more to do with their recruitment than Dooley did.

Hunter and Juwan James are the only two he gets credit for with me. If he wants to claim Darick, fine, but I don't know who would want to claim that headcase.

In 2010 Dooley signed 8 players currently on NFL rosters. These include Justin Hunter, James Stone, Mychal Rivera, Jawuan James, Da'Rick Rogers, Zach Fulton, Matt Sims, and Tyler Bray. Rajion Neal was recently cut by Green Bay. In 2011 Dooley signed A.J. Johnson, Curt Maggitt, Brian Randolph, Jordan Williams, and Antonio Richardson. In 2012 he signed Jason Croom, Alton Howard, Latroy Lewis, and 2 current NFL players Daniel McCullers and Cordarrelle Patterson. Granted numerous players over Dooley's 3 years didn't live up to expectations, but that happens in a lot of college programs.

Half of those players were recruited by Kiffin.

Players Dooley also signed;

Deoin Bonner, Dante Phillips, Davante Borque, Drae Bowles (still here?), Justin Meredith, Trent Taylor, Alden Hill, George Bullock, Justin King (still here?), Quenshawn Watson....

ALL those players were from the 2012 class. Dooley left this roster in absolute shambles. Twisting the facts to try and convince people otherwise is tragically hopeless.

No, there was a void of no lineman recruits in a year. That is the void we are in now.
No doubt that hurt, buts that's not the sole reason they are as bad as they are. I would venture to say that its not unheard of if in a given year of oline recruits that none panned out. Injuries, defections, or just plain bad. So that excuse of no oline recruits can only go so far.

By comparison of a few SEC schools:

UT 14 offensive lineman out of 96 man roster
Ole Miss 13 out of 99
Alabama 14 out of 99
Georgia 14 out of 97
USCjr 14 out of 95
Kentucky 14 out of 99
Ark 14 out of 99
Miss St. 17 out of 98
Vandy 14 out of 98

As far as ratings I can't tell ya. Body wise we are pretty close. Not sure how much of a difference being short one or two or even three olineman makes.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back