Don't understand Daniel Hood starting...

If you watched any of the game, then you'd notice that Couch looked better in the game than Hood did...the tipped pass notwithstanding. And if you had watched any games the past few seasons, you'd see that Couch made a LOT more tackles than Hood. Hood had 7 tackles in 12 games last year. Couch had 38.

Perhaps you should apply for a SEC head coaching job, or get Butch to call you on gameday and ask who you want to start....since you're at all of the practices.....

next to Big Mac. At 277lbs, he is woefully undersized as a DT. I could see it if Hood had used all 4yrs to get all rocked up and over 300lb by this point....but he hasn't.

Mo Couch is much bigger and the better athlete. Has been since he got on campus.

Hood starting at DT reminds me of the woeful DT depth we had in 2011, where Wilcox HAD to play DE's because we struck out at DT recruiting for a few years, there. I'd play Saulsberry before Hood...even if he (Hood) made a few plays in the AP game.

When we get to Oregon, if Hood is still starting at DT, instead of Couch, it's going to show. I don't think there is a single NFL scout looking at Hood. But Couch is another matter. Just shaking my head at Coach Strip's decision.

Sure he's the coach and all. I get that. But from a fan's perspective, I cannot figure out, for the life of me, why you would start an undersized guy, who has been behind Couch in the depth chart until this fall. Strip said he hasn't seen Couch until fall camp. So? Big freakin deal. He's started here before and fall camp is plenty enough time to make an assessment. It has been for lots of freshman. Why not a Senior?

Some possibilities........

1. You are Mo...or a part of Mo's family.
2. Hood stole your girlfriend (unlikely since I don't think you could possibly keep a girlfriend anyhow)
3. You want to base your opinions on historical information, but you failed to look back at their jr. pro/peewee football stats where Hood had 21 tackles and Couch only had 7.
4. You have a personal vendetta against Hood for not sharing his cookies at recess.
5. You DO have a serious mancrush for Mo!

Reactions: 1 person
they are not pleased with Couch's consistency. Hood has been better all around

Impossible. VolorNuttin has watched the game, TWICE, and he knows who is a better more consistent player!

A) Quit using tackles made last season as an example. Couch played a lot more snaps and the scheme was very different.

B) And quit saying 'vastly undersized' because that is not true. He is a big, strong kid. Not the biggest, but certainly not undersized to the extent you keep insinuating.

C) They want playmakers in that spot that Hood/Couch is playing. And despite your opinion that Couch is more athletic I think, in fact, Hood at his current size has more athletic ability to 'make plays' in the backfield.

D) The coaches want a player that is going to consistently give 100% effort every play, consistently play their technique correct, consistently read the play correctly. Apparently the coaches have observed through countless hours of spring, summer, and fall practices that Hood meets those requirements better than Couch.

Defensive line

This group has plenty of experience, but injuries have clouded the 2013 outlook. Starting end Jacques Smith is likely to miss the first game or two, and talented freshman end Corey Vereen also could be out with injury. Nose guard Mo Couch also has battled injuries since the spring, which makes it likely that fellow senior Daniel Hood will get the start at nose guard. Tackle Daniel McCullers is the key to the defense, and Jones has heaped high expectations on the soft-spoken, 360-pound lineman. Getting outside help from ends Marlon Walls and Corey Miller also will be critical. Knoxville News Sentinel

Seriously, dude you're overthinking the AP game depth chart. Playing a health Hood over Couch was the smart thing. I saw a bunch of 2/3s get some very valuable game time.

On the pre-season depth chart, Couch was listed behind McCullers. That tells me that McCullers and Couch are both playing nose tackle/3 tech. This actually makes a ton of sense, because in the long run when the first team has to play 70 or 80 snaps, we wont have a huge drop off at that position because McCullers can't play all 70 snaps, but he can play 40. That leaves Couch to play 40, with the D line always having either McCullers or Couch on the field at all times rather than not. On big drives I'm sure they can come in together. Hood has proved that he can play, and O'brien has been really coming on.

All it takes is some research and logical thinking.
This. I think a big reason for Hood starting over Couch is that the coaches want McCullers/Couch fresh in the 3 technique as many plays as humanly possible.

That will potentially maximize McCullers/Couch's ability to own 1 on 1 matchups all game.

I think it has to do with the DL rotation also. If you start Couch and McCullers together, then odds are there will be plays, especially on long drives, that both would have to sub out.

But we want one of those guys on the field at all times. We don't want Hood and O'brien to be out there at the same time for extended periods if possible. Rotating our DL smartly can help with that.

Hood played at over 290lbs last year, which limited his mobility. Throughout spring and fall camps the coaches have praised his consistency and effort and have asked for more from Couch. Only this week did the coaches mention Couch being more consistent then previous. So I think as long as Hood is being the more consistent player, he'll start.

next to Big Mac. At 277lbs, he is woefully undersized as a DT. I could see it if Hood had used all 4yrs to get all rocked up and over 300lb by this point....but he hasn't.

Mo Couch is much bigger and the better athlete. Has been since he got on campus.

Hood starting at DT reminds me of the woeful DT depth we had in 2011, where Wilcox HAD to play DE's because we struck out at DT recruiting for a few years, there. I'd play Saulsberry before Hood...even if he (Hood) made a few plays in the AP game.

When we get to Oregon, if Hood is still starting at DT, instead of Couch, it's going to show. I don't think there is a single NFL scout looking at Hood. But Couch is another matter. Just shaking my head at Coach Strip's decision.

Sure he's the coach and all. I get that. But from a fan's perspective, I cannot figure out, for the life of me, why you would start an undersized guy, who has been behind Couch in the depth chart until this fall. Strip said he hasn't seen Couch until fall camp. So? Big freakin deal. He's started here before and fall camp is plenty enough time to make an assessment. It has been for lots of freshman. Why not a Senior?

You clearly didn't watch the game

Big Dan also stuffed a screen play in the middle. That tells me that he is probably a more disciplined player than Couch.

1) Couch has been hurt most of the time since the new staff was hired.

2) They rotate a lot and play a similar number of snaps.

3) Hood is highly regarded as the smartest guy on the D-line and knows where every player is to line up for every play.

4) Couch is also listed as Big Dans backup, not Hoods.

It's not all clear cut like you make it out to be.

I have come to the conclusion that the individual behind this thread is none other than..wait for it......Mo Couch's wife.

Reactions: 3 people

You don't understand the Under 4-3 front do you?

Big Dan plays the one gap as our NT, next to him in the three gap is the under tackle. An under tackle generally weighs somewhere around 280ish.

That explains why Couch is Dan's backup, since Couch weighs 300+

Please stop bashing a player on OUR team. I can guarantee it that you wouldn't say it to Hood's face. He gives his all for Tennessee every chance he gets. Don't assume he's going to get manhandled either. Most of all though, don't bash a player on Tennessee's team. Disrespectful.

I agree. Kills me when a fan who couldn't carry these kids jocks strap finds it necessary to berate and belittle them. I guess he (they) are still reliving their storied city league days.

Understand ? What's to understand ?

Some things aren't meant to be understood just accepted. For instance, most sane people can't understand why you post the garbage that you do, we just accept that you do it.

Reactions: 2 people
You don't understand the Under 4-3 front do you?

Big Dan plays the one gap as our NT, next to him in the three gap is the under tackle. An under tackle generally weighs somewhere around 280ish.

That explains why Couch is Dan's backup, since Couch weighs 300+

Now I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday. I honestly thought it was a performance issue since Mo was out. Thanks for that.

Now I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday. I honestly thought it was a performance issue since Mo was out. Thanks for that.

It's basically the same front that the Seahawks and Coach Carrol use.

An Under Tackle would be a DE in a 3-4 front

Last edited:
It's basically the same front that the Seahawks and Coach Carrol use.

If it works I could care less who starts. Personally I like Hood. When I listen to his interviews he carries himself like a football player. Unlike Raijon Neal who smiles so much during interviews I'm thinking he wants kiss the damn crowd. Anyway.

If you watched the game Saturday, you would understand. The person playing the best and gives our team the best chance to win starts and plays the most. Seems pretty simple.

I watched the game Saturday and thought both Hood and Couch struggled to get a good push consistently.

As much as I think Tiny would prove to be an All American at OT, I think he could have an equally huge impact if the staff were to switch him to DT, which is our greatest need, still.

He might not supplant Dallas Thomas this year, but would likely crack the two deep roster at DT at the start of the season, and give our DL some much needed heft and girth, and is talented enough to use that to manhandle most Centers and Guards in this conference.
Cut This Clown some slack, not long ago he wanted Tiny switched to DT! This guy knows his Football!

Reactions: 2 people

And there's a reason youre a fan and hes the coach.

VN Store

Back