Don’t freak out.

TV Teddy wasted no time putting his stamp on the game with the 2 quick fouls on Turner. I hate inconsistent refs. On one end players get knocked to the floor and nothing is called and then 15 seconds later they're calling bumps as fouls at the other end.

I don't think it would've mattered because we appeared to play fine, or at least decent, with Turner out in the first half.

No kidding. The crack squad we had last night (TV, Sirmons, and Anderson) are like an All-Star squad of ineptitude. They are all big name officials, but they are all very inconsistent, and it showed last night. The flopping call on Turner was about as dumb a call as I've seen in a Tennessee game this year.

The refs didn't cost us the game, by any means. Frankly, they were terribly inconsistent on both ends of the floor. But that is the first game this year where I caught myself screaming at the officials thru my tv. They were awful last night and there is no way either team can establish any momentum with the kind of inconsistency we saw last night from a group of officials who know every rule in the book, but consistently struggle to apply them in a game.
We didn't get a bad whistle. Look at the free throw attempts. You almost never see that on the road.

I think they need to shake up the lineup, make Turner 6th man, put James at point, Bowden at two-guard, Gaines at 3, Pons at 4 and Fulky at 5. Turner is clearly not himself, his shooting is atrocious and he has not been making good decisions. What happened to Bowdens 10-15 foot jumper that was automatic. He had a 3 pointer blocked last night!!! This team can be fixed but the centerpoint of the problems come from Turner.

Team is broken right now. Especially Turner.

Lamonte was 42%/32%/78% triple slash last year. 29%/23%/74% this year. It's clear his shoulder is affecting him.

Additionally, our half court offense is stagnated. There is less ball movement. Fulkerson is a serviceable post player but not someone to run the offense through which is what is happening because of Turner's shooting woes and Bowden's inability to step up in his new role.

They're gonna need to figure some things out quickly. Can Vescovi help? Maybe. But he cannot fix Turner's bum shoulder. Hopefully he can be a scoring threat and help the offense be more fluid.

From what Barnes said in his presser there is a disconnect between what the team is practicing and what they are doing in games. Seniors aren't leading and too much individualism are just a couple of things he mentioned. If they don't get it straightened out in the next 2 before the guantlet starts, the doomsayers may have their day.

We will be ok. The defense holds. We need better rebounding. Obviously we need some offense. We can improve on it. Who will step up in the future ? Who can we rely on to score ? I was hoping Pons but inconsistency has been there. If we can get a tad bit of offense we will be good. Lately we are struggling but I think we will be okay. Barnes will address. Go basketvols.

As is usual (except for a few season like last year thrown in once in awhile) we can't hit a bull in the as- with a bass fiddle. Over the years we have been able to take a good high school shooters and turn them into brick layers. I have often wondered if too to big of a difference in the practice floor/goal background to the same in TB arena could be having an effect.

We're going to lose some games, it's easy to get emotional about losing but it's going to happen. I think JJJ is stepping up. When he first came in he talked about not wanting to step on the toes of the Seniors, that he didn't want to make it about him. Imo, he wanted to help them out and send them off looking well by assisting them. But I think maybe he's starting to realize he can't just set them up for success, that maybe he has to take some control. Start being more aggressive on the scoring. I dunno, that's just my impression.

You are giving him a whole lot of credit...

Reactions: LibertyVol
it stings a lot...we're not very good right now...can't hit our threes, can't hit our twos...:D...feel sorry for Turner, he's just not right... Pons and James were the leading rebounders...but Fulk sure got physical last night...we need that spark from somewhere to turn this around...I'll see what I can do...;)

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was really stunned by the terrible defensive effort last night. I know were not gonna score a lot thought we were better defensively than we showed last night. Against better team we got to play the low scoring ugly game to have a chance to win. Our offense right now really depends on the play of the two senior guards at least being competent and in the last couple games both have been terrible.

I think that we are in a spot where Turner and Bowden both aren't really good enough to be "the guy", they were both really good over the last couple of years when they were the 3rd and 4th options, behind Williams, Schofield, and Alexander..... now that they have most of the defensive attention they are not able to set up on the outside and get open looks. Just my opinion though, but to me that seems to be the only real change with both of them, they are now the go to option for the offense and through either being nervous or getting defended by the opponents better defenders haven't really had it all year.

We didn't get a bad whistle. Look at the free throw attempts. You almost never see that on the road.
What game did you watch??? We got plenty of bad whistles. So did Cincy. That crew last night was woefully inconsistent. I never said Tennessee got hosed and it was called one-sides in favor of Cincinnati. I said it was terrible on both ends.

This is the team most of us expected to see. Pons and the rest are extremely limited offensively and not capable of transitioning to scorers. Barnes is looking at a significant rebuilding project and this is why he sought the UCLA job. It is frustrating because Steve Forbes has depth at ETSU that could really help the Vols - some JUCO scorers. A trip to the NCAA would be a remarkable achievement for the Vols and their offensive struggles will be hard to watch. Maybe the European kid can add a spark to make things more interesting until help arrives next season. Anyway this is about the level to be expected given the loss of the Williams - Schofield extreme talent and the remaining roster which collectively are hard nosed defensive players but challenged to consistently shoot a basketball and score.
Barnes took a look at the UCLA job for reasons we all can only guess. I would doubt he sought it because UT was a rebuilding job this year. You might want to look at how far UCLA has fallen on the totem poll.

I believe the Lamonte trial at PG has run its course. He’s getting worse! Would benefit him and the team for him to relinquish that role and maybe even start coming off the bench. JJJ is showing some signs of improvement.

Reactions: iBleedOrangeWhite
I believe the Lamonte trial at PG has run its course. He’s getting worse! Would benefit him and the team for him to relinquish that role and maybe even start coming off the bench. JJJ is showing some signs of improvement.
Turner is the best ball-handler on the team, though. Take him off the ball, and we will get pressured relentlessly. JJJ is still a pretty sloppy (unrefined, maybe) ball-handler.

Too much faith has been put in Turner and Bowden in my opinion. They are nothing more than role players.

I agree this was probably the worst we’ve played this season, but like I said it was somewhat to be expected when it was our first road game and Turner got in foul trouble early. Memphis game we played ok, just missed too many open shots. There’s going to be growing pains with this team, might as well accept it and watch them grow. At this point we’re an NCAA tournament team, we just need some pieces to mesh and Gaines and Nkumwa to step up as the season goes along.
I would probably challenge the use of the word "OK" against Memphis. I've followed the Vols for over 50 years and the Memphis game ranks pretty high for the most abysmal offense we've put on the floor. Otherwise I would agree with most of the rest of your statement.

Barnes took a look at the UCLA job for reasons we all can only guess. I would doubt he sought it because UT was a rebuilding job this year. You might want to look at how far UCLA has fallen on the totem poll.
It’s not that hard to figure out. UCLA is a better job.

You are giving him a whole lot of credit...
How so? By saying I think he's stepping up? Because that's the only part of my post where I gave him credit. Most of that post is from some of his early interviews, things he said himself. And I was going off of what he said, thinking about what he meant when he talked about the seniors. And comparing it to what I've seen as the season is progressing. He's starting to take more shots himself, instead of only passing it around. Not sure how that's "giving him a whole lot of credit". It's an observation. You make it sound like I said a bunch of things to his credit, when I really only said he's stepping up.

Last edited:
Reactions: rockyhdr
What game did you watch??? We got plenty of bad whistles. So did Cincy. That crew last night was woefully inconsistent. I never said Tennessee got hosed and it was called one-sides in favor of Cincinnati. I said it was terrible on both ends.
Most games now a days are poorly officialiated so I don't disagree with what your saying but sometimes on the road you get blatantly hosed. That didn't come anywhere close to happening. We had more free throws and less foul trouble than they did. That's all I'm saying.

Turner is the best ball-handler on the team, though. Take him off the ball, and we will get pressured relentlessly. JJJ is still a pretty sloppy (unrefined, maybe) ball-handler.
Seems like he’s being asked to do too much

I’ve always said Turner and Bowden are side dishes, not main courses. I think it’s pretty obvious at this point that we are lacking in the main course department and it’s pretty hard to put dinner together when you only have side dishes.

I will take the vegetable plate...rarely.

I love this mentality, the thought that you can't be a fan of all things UT and you must chose a sport and never cross the line. Weird gate keeper mentality, do you want to make up an application so people can apply to support the basketball team?
Gatekeeper_Detail.jpg

Unfortunately, it has some truth. There are casual basketball fans who like to gripe when things don’t go our way and don’t understand that a basketball loss is different than a football loss. When we win, it’s ho hum. When we lose, they come out and criticize.

No kidding. The crack squad we had last night (TV, Sirmons, and Anderson) are like an All-Star squad of ineptitude. They are all big name officials, but they are all very inconsistent, and it showed last night. The flopping call on Turner was about as dumb a call as I've seen in a Tennessee game this year.

The refs didn't cost us the game, by any means. Frankly, they were terribly inconsistent on both ends of the floor. But that is the first game this year where I caught myself screaming at the officials thru my tv. They were awful last night and there is no way either team can establish any momentum with the kind of inconsistency we saw last night from a group of officials who know every rule in the book, but consistently struggle to apply them in a game.

I said it in the game thread, and I’m going to see if I can actually do it. The officiating is painful to watch. The Memphis game wasn’t any better. I think I’m taking a break from watching. I know it’s not fair to the kids, but it’s awful tv. Also, I have 4 young kids, and I’ve already said something out loud I shouldn’t have and been reprimanded by the wife. I just can’t watch games with TV, Sirmons, Shows, Pat Adams, etc.

It’s not that hard to figure out. UCLA is a better job.
That's not my point. My point, in response to what was said, was that he was looking at UCLA so as not to rebuild. He would have been rebuilding at UCLA or Tennessee. Do you not agree?

VN Store

Back