Does Rick Barnes need to do a better job recruiting

Does Rick Barnes need to do a better job recruiting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No.

I still think we need top 75-100 players on the roster. And I don't mean just 1 guy who has a very unreliable ranking (good or bad) because he wasn't really scouted here.

Have I softened my stance a little based on watching Barnes coach this year? Maybe a little but not a far cry. My stance on his recruiting has always been overblown by this board.

The comparison to Purdue the other day was a good exercise I thought.

So explain how Barnes beat Calipari’s roster full of 5*s earlier this season with no Top 100 recruits?

Reactions: 2 people
Recruiting is the means to an end. If it is the Barnes model to recruit players who stay four years and develop them within a system. That looks good to me.

Reactions: 1 person
So explain how Barnes beat Calipari’s roster full of 5*s earlier this season with no Top 100 recruits?

He may be thinking that was a fluke, but we did it twice, and team chemistry had a lot to do with it. Kentucky can have all the 5 stars in the world, but they do not have experience. Calipari's one and done recruiting blows up in his face occasionally. I like that our full roster will be back next year, can Kentucky say that?

Agreed. I believe we may sprinkle in a top 75 player every other year too, and that is probably enough if we can continue to land the type of kids we have over the past three years. Coachable, hard-working kids that want to be pushed to excel.

Agree...I think you’re going to see similar type players to what we’ve got just slightly higher ranked. An example being DJ Burns, he’s been falling down the boards but he’s a guy who’s ranking is probably gonna be Top 125ish. Has a similar game and build to Grant Williams but will come in slightly higher rated.

Lol. Bump it. Love to see that.

2019 Top targets:
#10 Jalen Lecque
#20 Josiah James
#33 Marcus Watson
#79 Kira Lewis

2018 targets:
#13 Simons
#44 Moore
#68 Harris
#88 Petrusev

Top 2017 targets:
#19 Nick Richards
#47 Jermaine Samuels
#83 Abu Kigab
#88 Alex Reese

All looks pretty similar to me.

Last edited:
2019 Top targets:
#10 Jalen Lecque
#20 Josiah James
#33 Marcus Watson
#79 Kira Lewis

2018 targets:
#13 Simons
#44 Moore
#68 Harris
#88 Petrusev

Top 2017 targets:
#19 Nick Richards
#47 Jermaine Samuels
#83 Abu Kigab
#88 Alex Reese

All looks pretty similar to me.

Except we weren’t really ever in it for anyone in that 2017 list.

They were recruiting them though, and trying to get involved, wasn’t as if they were electing not to recruit them....and iirc 2/4 UOV to Tennessee, neither Harris or Moore have stepped on campus yet. That 2017 list also should’ve included 4* but unranked Yves Pons, who the staff ultimately landed.

Like I’ve said, to me you look at 2019 targets and I don’t see a huge change in philosophy.

They’ve landed Gaines who Rob Lewis (rivals) has basically said is a decent player, but unlikely to be a Top 100 guy.

They are pushing hard for DJ Burns who is currently in the 80’s after falling 20+ spots, so would look like he’s also headed outside the top 100.

Outside of those 2 you’ve got a bit of a mixed bag, but they definitely don’t seem very likely to be landing any Top 75 guys in the 2019 class unless someone emerges that they aren’t currently pushing for which would seem unlikely.

They were recruiting them though, and trying to get involved, wasn’t as if they were electing not to recruit them....and iirc 2/4 UOV to Tennessee, neither Harris or Moore have stepped on campus yet. That 2017 list also should’ve included 4* but unranked Yves Pons, who the staff ultimately landed.

You’re missing the point. You’re listing these names that we barely even got involved with and in 2018 we’ve focused on a higher caliber player. Still need to land them or none of it matters.

The 2018 list is essentially our entire list of guys that were takes. 2017 list just the top 4 highest rated of a larger list of whiffs.

He may be thinking that was a fluke, but we did it twice, and team chemistry had a lot to do with it. Kentucky can have all the 5 stars in the world, but they do not have experience. Calipari's one and done recruiting blows up in his face occasionally. I like that our full roster will be back next year, can Kentucky say that?

They can next year. Doubt many of those dudes are going pro.

Barnes can go all in on highly rated guys with this roster he's created. We return every major piece for the next two seasons. We're gonna start looking like those Villanova or other Big East from a few years ago, teams who have 4 and 5 year seniors who are a nightmare come tournament time. Guys that when you watched them on other teams made you think, "How is that guy still eligible? Feels like he has been here for 6 years."

Barnes can go all in on highly rated guys with this roster he's created. We return every major piece for the next two seasons. We're gonna start looking like those Villanova or other Big East from a few years ago, teams who have 4 and 5 year seniors who are a nightmare come tournament time. Guys that when you watched them on other teams made you think, "How is that guy still eligible? Feels like he has been here for 6 years."
This. People are going to be like “Grant Williams is only a Junior” next year. It’s insane the team he has built.

You’re missing the point. You’re listing these names that we barely even got involved with and in 2018 we’ve focused on a higher caliber player. Still need to land them or none of it matters.

The 2018 list is essentially our entire list of guys that were takes. 2017 list just the top 4 highest rated of a larger list of whiffs.

Only 1 open ship...what’s the board look like for 2019?

Haven’t started paying attention. My hope is that we land two 4* players. At least one in the fall signing period.

Definitely possible, my guess is there won’t be any Top 75 guys signed. Rivals continues to extend their “stars”, used to be just right at top 100 were 4 stars, now it’s almost their whole Top 150 gets 4 stars.

I'll have to disagree with Schofield and Alexander not being major pieces. Daniel and Darrington are pretty important as well, but Harris or Simons would help with those losses.

You're spot on with the other points.

I believe Barnes and staff have tried to recruit higher rated players but they were not interested in UT. Given what Barnes took over, why come here when you can join a winning team.

Barnes has done the job and we are now a winning team. Given our youth we will go dancing three years in a row. We have already started getting 4* players and it will now be easy to recruit them.

The next bump in the road comes when Barnes retires. I would like to suggest Barnes hires his replacement.

Haven’t started paying attention. My hope is that we land two 4* players. At least one in the fall signing period.

You've got two four stars who don't see the floor.

It's not just getting 4 stars, but the right ones.

I’ve read many of your posts in this thread...please stop talking out of your ass

I mean, what did he say that's incorrect? Provide some examples of P5 programs that have built long-term success (6-7-8 years) recruiting primarily 3* talent. My guess is its a short list, if not a blank one.

I have argued with Ziti until we're blue in the face at times, and he can be a jerk when he posts without thinking or emotionally. But in this case, I think he has made a rational argument without being prickly and confrontational.

VN Store

Back