Does Gray have the size?

Well tbh I hope It’s irrelevant, as ideally we’d have some equal or even better younger talent to have a successful running back by committee. He’s the starter and should be, but hopefully he doesn’t have to carry the load on his own.

Much of what's already been said:

In the SEC especially, you have to have at least 3 quality 2-3 really good players that take handoffs to have a great ground game. Think GA and AL the last 10 years

I don't think we should worry about EG's size. I think he's gonna be at his best in the 205-210 lb range, which I heard he was very close to this spring. Remember he's only 5'9. There are tons of RBs this size in the NFL.

We know about EG's burst and great instincts, but he's also proven hes surprising pretty willing between the tackles. The best RBs are extremely skilled at how they're able to use pad level, anticipation, and instincts to take their blows. I think EG is one of these types.

Do you think Eric Gray has the size to hold up as the lead back? He always seemed a little under weight to me. The most I’ve seen him listed at as 201 and that seemed a little generous. I would think 193-195 is probably closer to the truth.

Personally I wish he was at 210-215 or so with the same moves/speed but I know that’s not always possible. What do y’all think?

Darren Sproles said Hi!

Emmitt Smith was only 5'9", 215 in NFL, I would imagine he weighed less in college.

The good thing is that if he is our #1 RB, he will only get about 50% of the offensive snaps under CJP. So that will limit wear and tear.

Now he may end up playing more on kickoffs :cool:

Once again size doesn't matter it's the moves that count.

Size%2Bdosen't%2Bmatter.gif
Damn you! Now I can't stop watching.

He definitely needs some size and strength, he went down way too many times to simple arm tackles last year. I think before he leaves he's gonna be a guy we get the ball to around 15-20 times a game. I think Chandler is going to have a big year behind this line, he's stronger physically and possesses more speed, people forget that he was one of the league leaders in long yardage plays as a Sophomore.
Chandler also has the worst vision I’ve seen of any Vol ball carrier in recent memory. He just can’t seem to find the hole and hit it. Eric Gray is the real deal if he can stay healthy.

It will be interesting to see who gets Jordan’s carries if he gets booted. Will Carlin Fills-Aime get a bigger role, or will it be one of the incoming freshmen?
Carlin Fils-time has been kind of a head scratcher. Looked pretty talented, switched positions a couple times, but never seemed to get playing time anywhere. Was pretty highly rated coming out of high school if I remember right.

Carlin Fils-time has been kind of a head scratcher. Looked pretty talented, switched positions a couple times, but never seemed to get playing time anywhere. Was pretty highly rated coming out of high school if I remember right.
I’d like to see CFA get a chance this year to make some plays with the ball. From what I can tell he’s been a team-first kind of guy and been willing to do whatever was asked of him without complaining, a lot like Tyler Byrd was. I know the coaches will put the best players out there, but it’s always nice to see someone’s hard work and determination pay off.

Do you think Eric Gray has the size to hold up as the lead back? He always seemed a little under weight to me. The most I’ve seen him listed at as 201 and that seemed a little generous. I would think 193-195 is probably closer to the truth.

Personally I wish he was at 210-215 or so with the same moves/speed but I know that’s not always possible. What do y’all think?

As most of us know, when you get into a program that requires some disciplines that have not been required of us before, (like military or a college fitness program) we tend to gain weight/muscle (or maybe lose unnecessary fat). I have noticed that most skill position college players ( to me all positions require skilled players, for me it's just a poor way of defining ball handlers) tend to gain weight/muscle. Now, I also notice that without much help, added years add bulk all by it's self!

My issue with Gray is the lack of his "want to" when it comes to blocking. JG took some big hits late in the year when he was in the game. One of the INT's in the bowl game comes to mind. LBer coming straight down hill on Gray and he dove to the right. LBer kill JG.

Could this be a lack of "learning" not required in his high school career? He looked like he didn't know exactly how to or exactly where a block should influence the defense player to go as I saw it. (other than on his back). Experience should correct this, the guy seems to be at least football smart. I believe his "want to" is there, just not his "how to".

Reactions: VolDC
I'm still trying to find a group of defensive Vols that could or would tackle UMIss's Dexter McCluster. Size in RBs is way overrated depending on what you want them to do.

I wonder what this might have had to do with his playing time or if maybe his "want to" during off field exercises may not be just what the Pruitt ideal requires.

You believe weighing 210 vs 201 will make a significant difference? Seems like you’re overthinking this

Reactions: jarnol32
Size is no excuse. Just watch video of Tony Thompson. Small, fast, compact, explosive, difficult to tackle, and even more difficult to catch. Buh bye!!!!
The very definition of running hard!!

Last edited:
Chuck Webb was a little guy with huge shoulders!! That man would straight lower the boom on you and then with a simple burst of speed he was gone! Man, he was fun to watch.
Man, when I think back (I was 9 in 89’) on Chuck Webb I always think of him at like 6’3 250. Eddie Georgish. Me and my stepbrother used to run the Cobb-Webb dual attack in the backyard lol

VN Store

Back