Does Gray have the size?

The_Big_Orange

Right in the Vols!
Do you think Eric Gray has the size to hold up as the lead back? He always seemed a little under weight to me. The most I’ve seen him listed at as 201 and that seemed a little generous. I would think 193-195 is probably closer to the truth.

Personally I wish he was at 210-215 or so with the same moves/speed but I know that’s not always possible. What do y’all think?

He did not last year. It depends on how well he does working out over the off season. He should be able to play 205-210 without losing quickness. We'll see.

Reactions: Remy
He definitely needs some size and strength, he went down way too many times to simple arm tackles last year. I think before he leaves he's gonna be a guy we get the ball to around 15-20 times a game. I think Chandler is going to have a big year behind this line, he's stronger physically and possesses more speed, people forget that he was one of the league leaders in long yardage plays as a Sophomore.

My issue with Gray is the lack of his "want to" when it comes to blocking. JG took some big hits late in the year when he was in the game. One of the INT's in the bowl game comes to mind. LBer coming straight down hill on Gray and he dove to the right. LBer kill JG.

He’s already jacked in comparison to the beginning of last season which came off an offseason of recovering from injury. Was displaying power as well as explosion by season’s end and is the established feature back imo. Errybody else is angling for backup carries.

Do you think Eric Gray has the size to hold up as the lead back? He always seemed a little under weight to me. The most I’ve seen him listed at as 201 and that seemed a little generous. I would think 193-195 is probably closer to the truth.

Personally I wish he was at 210-215 or so with the same moves/speed but I know that’s not always possible. What do y’all think?
Yes he does and he will have a great 2020 football season

My issue with Gray is the lack of his "want to" when it comes to blocking. JG took some big hits late in the year when he was in the game. One of the INT's in the bowl game comes to mind. LBer coming straight down hill on Gray and he dove to the right. LBer kill JG.
He definitely struggled with pass protection, hoping that gets a bunch better.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Chuck Webb was a little guy with huge shoulders!! That man would straight lower the boom on you and then with a simple burst of speed he was gone! Man, he was fun to watch.

Cotton Bowl. Arkansas. 250 yards.

Boom.

Gray running behind this OL we got... gonna be a beautiful thing.

Cotton Bowl. Arkansas. 250 yards.

Boom.

Gray running behind this OL we got... gonna be a beautiful thing.
One things for sure, we've got to get better at running the football, 145 yrds/gm just isn't going to get it done in this league. Al, Fl, Ga, Ky, USCjrs and Ok will all have solid rushing game defensive units and we'll have to have production there in order to win 4 of those games, hopefully all 6 of them.

One things for sure, we've got to get better at running the football, 145 yrds/gm just isn't going to get it done in this league. Al, Fl, Ga, Ky, USCjrs and Ok will all have solid rushing game defensive units and we'll have to have production there in order to win 4 of those games, hopefully all 6 of them.

We've finally got the talent on the OL. Especially if Cade Mays is eligible. Depth too.

Between Fulmer's input and, obviously, JP's and Chaney's coaching... I feel pretty damn good that we're gonna run the ball down their throats.

Once again size doesn't matter it's the moves that count.

Size%2Bdosen't%2Bmatter.gif

That's one of the thing's Hurd didn't get enough credit on. He punished people when he stayed back to block. Honestly you could count on two people a game normally would be injured just from trying to tackle him.

I’m not seeing Gray carry a load of carries like a bigger back would, e.g Travis Henry. As others have posted, we might be more effective running the ball with a Cobb-Webb approach, it seems to me, to split 30-40 carries per game. Think Hurd and Kamari, as another example...who were both painfully misused by the previous coaching staff. Two different physiques, strengths, etc. to keep defenses off balance might seem worth a try.

Don't disagree, but we've had plenty of undersized speedy backs do quite well...travis stephens, etc...the best answer to keep him healthy is a stout OL...which it appears we've got covered. To me, this is one area MANY are undervaluing from the Vols this year. Everyone remembers we haven't been able to run the ball for the past however many years...we've got a little something ready for everyone this year.

Right now? No.

I think with our team's current roster and system, he's better suited paired with a back that can grind through the tackles. For instance, we know Kamara can be a 3 down back but he's even better when he splits carries with another primary back.

When I say our current roster, I'm not talking about the line because arguably he'll be behind the best in the nation on paper but I'm talking about the impact players behind center and out wide. If JG was Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields then I think Gray could be an all-down back because he wouldn't be the focus of the defense.

Although, I hope he proves me completely wrong and trucks through DL/LB every single down.

Don't disagree, but we've had plenty of undersized speedy backs do quite well...travis stephens, etc...the best answer to keep him healthy is a stout OL...which it appears we've got covered. To me, this is one area MANY are undervaluing from the Vols this year. Everyone remembers we haven't been able to run the ball for the past however many years...we've got a little something ready for everyone this year.

Please Lord let big Trey Smith stay healthy, and we will run the ball well. To run well in the SEC, you can not just have big OL. You cant just have talented OL. You have to have MEAN AND NASTY, "COMING TO GET YOU" type guys on the OLine. Trey is, and it is why he has been called the best OL in the SEC by several national publications that have no orange colored glasses like we have. Cade Mays is mean also, and will hopefully be the other Guard opposite Big Trey....

Center is locked down, and will be solid. Hopefully the two 5* freshmen Tackles from last season got bigger and meaner over this long summer. There should be plenty of substitutions as well since we now have depth...which not only gives you subs to let your starters grab some Oxygen, it also helps greatly improve the quality of who we actually put on the field. These days, if you arent busting chops on run plays like you should be....you will be sitting on the bench. Doesnt matter how many stars you came in with, or how much you played last season. CJP has shown (other than the damn QB) that he is going to put on the field whichever guys give us the best chance to execute and win...regardless of who that might be. Except for JG...can not wrap my head around it...the only rational explanation is that the rumors are true and he is just flat awesome in practice. He is tough as a 10 cent steak...but I have seen him miss more passes to RB in the backfield or flat than an average HS kid would over all 3 years. It is just flat baffling to watch an SEC QB miss on 5 yard passes over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ...

. Yep. GO VOLS!!!

Reactions: ArdentVol

VN Store

Back