Does Defense Still Win Championships?

So far in the CFP, it seems like the top defenses get torched by the top offenses (spread offenses). Bama got torched by Ohio State in the 2014 CFP for 42, Clemson in the 2015 CFP for 40, and Clemson in the 2016 CFP for 35. They also gave up 42 to OU in the 2014 Sugar Bowl. There's a reason Saban wanted these offenses to be restricted.

Today Georgia, with all of its great front-7 players, can't do a thing to contain OU.

I like the Pruitt hire, I think he's going to do well here in recruiting and coaching, but this is the reason I wanted a spread-oriented coach. That kind of offense gives us the best shot of beating Georgia, Alabama, and even other teams that get their pick of the litter in the front-7 like Florida and LSU. I hope our staff serves notice. I'm fine with being multiple but developing a good QB and spreading the defense out is how you beat the big boys nowadays imo.

Lol epic fail of a thread.

Reactions: 2 people
Defense gave up 38 in regulation. Playing well in the second half doesn't mean they won the game. Offense needed 45 in regulation to take it to OT. These games are played in the 30s and 40s. UGA was able to keep up. Pretty simple.

But again, no way a pro-style heavy offense can score as much against UGA (or Bama) as OU did. That's the point that is being lost even though it should be such an easy point to grasp.

The easy point to grasp is that you have to play enough offense to score more than the other team and have enough defense to have the other team score less than you do. I am enjoying the crap out of the Sugar bowl game at 10-3, more so than the 54-48 score of the Rose bowl. ( I will take them both if we get an all SEC NC game). It becomes a glass half full, half empty argument.

Prediction: we will not see anywhere near 100 points in Game Two.
Most likely. But the evidence stands that teams who are able to put up points against the UGAs, Bamas, and teams with NFL littered front 7s are team who run predominately spread offenses. Doesn't guarantee you will score points against them, but pro-style heavy offenses almost guarantees that you won't score many points against them. There are dozens of games of evidence which illustrate this point.

Exactly. People are acting like the second half just proved that defense wins championships. Or that good defense erases points that were already scored in this game.

I agree that defense has to make plays and timely stops, but these games are played in the 30s and 40s. Not exactly defensive struggles. And again, there's no way a pro-style offense can do this to Georgia's front 7.

So what happened? Did GA just start playing defense or did OK stop playing offense? Had GA's defense played the same in the 2nd half, they would have lost by 40.

Reactions: 1 person
So what happened? Did GA just start playing defense or did OK stop playing offense? Had GA's defense played the same in the 2nd half, they would have lost by 40.

And Georgia's pro style offense put up 54 on Oklahoma!!!! The argument that it takes a spread offense to score is negated by what Georgia did on offense.

The easy point to grasp is that you have to play enough offense to score more than the other team and have enough defense to have the other team score less than you do. I am enjoying the crap out of the Sugar bowl game at 10-3, more so than the 54-48 score of the Rose bowl. ( I will take them both if we get an all SEC NC game). It becomes a glass half full, half empty argument.
It doesn't, though. The teams who have beat Bama in recent years have all run spread offenses, featuring very little pro-style base or under center play. UGA is now on that level, or as close as anyone has been since Saban took over. Arguably LSU was, and it was the same with them. You weren't gonna have much success going under center, unless you were Bama with number 1 recruiting classes as far back as your roster goes.

If we want to win a national championship, we're gonna have to go through Bama and UGA. When teams with less talent start beating them while running pro-style heavy offenses, then I'll agree that it's a debate of preference. But as of now, it's not.

And Georgia's pro style offense put up 54 on Oklahoma!!!! The argument that it takes a spread offense to score is negated by what Georgia did on offense.

Isn’t it amazing when a team has a line that can block and has outstanding execution overall?

I long for those days.....

Did they do that against UGA or Bama's front 7? No! They did that against OU! The argument is not that pro style offenses cant score. It's that they can't score enough to beat elite front 7s like Bama and UGA. And they haven't. But spread offenses have. This is documented. It's factual

Most likely. But the evidence stands that teams who are able to put up points against the UGAs, Bamas, and teams with NFL littered front 7s are team who run predominately spread offenses. Doesn't guarantee you will score points against them, but pro-style heavy offenses almost guarantees that you won't score many points against them. There are dozens of games of evidence which illustrate this point.

Your point is well made and a good one. I for one had hoped UT would hire Mike Leach during the Currie fiasco but in the end I'm good with Pruitt. Going back to your argument, to be competitive for the NC in this day and age, teams have to have explosive potential on offense, and spread schemes certainly heighten that potential. But you can't give up 50 points or more like OU did tonight and win championships. So a dominant defense is still the surest path to the NC as Bama is likely to prove yet again. Lucky for us their DC is our new HBC!

If your defensive does its job then you shouldn't even be in OT if your offense scores 45.

Didn't you just answer your question? If the defense is good, i.e. plays well the whole game you aren't in OT.

I ask again, did GA's defense start playing good or did OK lay down in the 2nd half? I'm betting the D stiffened up. GA doesn't put the ball on the ground for 7 the game is over in regulation.....good D returned that for 6.

In SEC defense is a must, not rocket science. Now getting outside playing a high flying offense one off is a different animal, ask Auburn, whom let UCF take the W

Last edited:
Does a good teams overall offensive game plan change more week to week or it's defensive scheme?

Does a good teams overall offensive game plan change more week to week or it's defensive scheme?

They will both change to some extent, but the defensive game plan tends to change more from game to game. Offensive will change as far as what plays they will use, but the different offensive schemes (spread, spread option, pro-set, triple option, etc.) determine what you do on defense.

Your point is well made and a good one. I for one had hoped UT would hire Mike Leach during the Currie fiasco but in the end I'm good with Pruitt. Going back to your argument, to be competitive for the NC in this day and age, teams have to have explosive potential on offense, and spread schemes certainly heighten that potential. But you can't give up 50 points or more like OU did tonight and win championships. So a dominant defense is still the surest path to the NC as Bama is likely to prove yet again. Lucky for us their DC is our new HBC!
Thank you. Yes, my thread title is misleading in that way. Defense is necessary, but even with a good defense you limit your chances of beating UGA and Bama by trying to go right at them from under center. That's my point and you understood it

Thank you. Yes, my thread title is misleading in that way. Defense is necessary, but even with a good defense you limit your chances of beating UGA and Bama by trying to go right at them from under center. That's my point and you understood it

That point I do understand. Their defenses do cause you to do something different on offense to try and score. The argument of having to be a spread offense is the only way was shot down by Auburn in the SEC championship game. They have an offense such as suggested here and GA pretty much put them in place. There are many offenses that on good days can put up points, but these same offenses will have games that the timing is off and they don't produce.

With Oklahoma falling to Georgia, a streak will continue. Only once since the start of the BCS era in 1998 has a team won a national title and finished outside the top 30 nationally in scoring defense. Oklahoma was 51st entering the Rose Bowl.

-Chris Low via twitter.

The answer to your question is yes.

Reactions: 3 people
So far in the CFP, it seems like the top defenses get torched by the top offenses (spread offenses). Bama got torched by Ohio State in the 2014 CFP for 42, Clemson in the 2015 CFP for 40, and Clemson in the 2016 CFP for 35. They also gave up 42 to OU in the 2014 Sugar Bowl. There's a reason Saban wanted these offenses to be restricted.

Today Georgia, with all of its great front-7 players, can't do a thing to contain OU.

I like the Pruitt hire, I think he's going to do well here in recruiting and coaching, but this is the reason I wanted a spread-oriented coach. That kind of offense gives us the best shot of beating Georgia, Alabama, and even other teams that get their pick of the litter in the front-7 like Florida and LSU. I hope our staff serves notice. I'm fine with being multiple but developing a good QB and spreading the defense out is how you beat the big boys nowadays imo.

Defense is taking Clemson to the wood shed right now

Reactions: 4 people
Clemson has 113 yards of total offense with 1:45 left in the 3rd. (they also just mentioned Pruitt being the new head coach of the Vols and the 3rd Saturday in October will get interesting).

Reactions: 6 people
don't get your hopes up fellas. we ain't gonna look anything like Gump next year. the 5 stars ain't coming here, they going to Tuscaloosa. Thanks coach.

So OP what say we just get us a damn good defense and a 28 point + a game offense?

VN Store

Back