Does Defense Still Win Championships?

Ever notice how former D coordinators are really good at halftime changes?

Reactions: 1 person
Time to start redefining what makes a great defense IMO.

Offenses have gotten too prolific to expect to see 17-10 slugfests anymore.

Defenses need to be defined more by the ability to turn the ball over and give teams extra offensive possessions and 3rd down conversion percentage rather than strictly points scored anymore.

Imagine Mora saying this:
Defense, Defense...are you kidding me defense?
90 points and over 1,000 yards. Jeez

So far in the CFP, it seems like the top defenses get torched by the top offenses (spread offenses). Bama got torched by Ohio State in the 2014 CFP for 42, Clemson in the 2015 CFP for 40, and Clemson in the 2016 CFP for 35. They also gave up 42 to OU in the 2014 Sugar Bowl. There's a reason Saban wanted these offenses to be restricted.

Today Georgia, with all of its great front-7 players, can't do a thing to contain OU.

I like the Pruitt hire, I think he's going to do well here in recruiting and coaching, but this is the reason I wanted a spread-oriented coach. That kind of offense gives us the best shot of beating Georgia, Alabama, and even other teams that get their pick of the litter in the front-7 like Florida and LSU. I hope our staff serves notice. I'm fine with being multiple but developing a good QB and spreading the defense out is how you beat the big boys nowadays imo.

Yes

So far in the CFP, it seems like the top defenses get torched by the top offenses (spread offenses). Bama got torched by Ohio State in the 2014 CFP for 42, Clemson in the 2015 CFP for 40, and Clemson in the 2016 CFP for 35. They also gave up 42 to OU in the 2014 Sugar Bowl. There's a reason Saban wanted these offenses to be restricted.

Today Georgia, with all of its great front-7 players, can't do a thing to contain OU.

I like the Pruitt hire, I think he's going to do well here in recruiting and coaching, but this is the reason I wanted a spread-oriented coach. That kind of offense gives us the best shot of beating Georgia, Alabama, and even other teams that get their pick of the litter in the front-7 like Florida and LSU. I hope our staff serves notice. I'm fine with being multiple but developing a good QB and spreading the defense out is how you beat the big boys nowadays imo.

but Georgia's coach isn't a spread option coach....

Imagine Mora saying this:
Defense, Defense...are you kidding me defense?
90 points and over 1,000 yards. Jeez
Exactly. People are acting like the second half just proved that defense wins championships. Or that good defense erases points that were already scored in this game.

I agree that defense has to make plays and timely stops, but these games are played in the 30s and 40s. Not exactly defensive struggles. And again, there's no way a pro-style offense can do this to Georgia's front 7.

Well UGA or OU doesn't have either. Winner of Clemson/Bama will 100% be your national champs.

So far, Clemson/Bama is the exact opposite of the Rose Bowl. Slobber knocker defense with tons of speed from both sides so far

54-48 in OT....OU collapsed in that second half. I figured they would run GA out the building. I am still in shock....man what a game though!!!! Too bad for Mayfield. But without a great dominating D you see what happens.....maybe next year they will still be a great team....now let’s hope Clemson wins in another hard fought game!!!!!

Georgia's defense held OK to 10 second half points (seven of their second half points were by their defense)!!!!
Defense gave up 38 in regulation. Playing well in the second half doesn't mean they won the game. Offense needed 45 in regulation to take it to OT. These games are played in the 30s and 40s. UGA was able to keep up. Pretty simple.

But again, no way a pro-style heavy offense can score as much against UGA (or Bama) as OU did. That's the point that is being lost even though it should be such an easy point to grasp.

3 minuets to go in the first half and Clemson has 74 yards of offense.

So CJP game planned them well.

Bama misses FG but is in control going into halftime. Good chance we'll see an all-SEC final. Note how ESPN has not said much if anything (at least I haven't heard it if they have) about the new UT head ball coach? Why do they hate us so much?

VN Store

Back