Does Currie Actually Have a Plan?

No I don't believe that Currie is going to make a move unless Jones finishes worse that 6-6. If he finishes that or above, Butch will be our coach next year.

Reactions: 1 person
At this point, it seems that Currie’s plan is this:

1. Stand on field after we get embarrassed by another loss.

2. Make mean face. Impress no one.

3. Watch fan base in turmoil and extremely negative publicity attatch itself to our program — a “narrative of incompetence” surrounding the program.

4. Wait far too long in making a statement about #3, and when you do indicate that it’s possible that we will retain possibly the 2nd worse coach in our football program’s history.

There might be more to it. I hope there is.

Second worse coach is a ted bit extreme.... No way is he above third imo....:)

Maybe, just maybe, Currie is looking at the situation as bUTch has made a lot of progress with the team in his first 4 season's. Now that he has a down year, Currie might stick with him, just like we did when Fulmer had a 5 - 7 team in 2005. Currie might be hoping that we get a good recruiting class and we have a good year next year and all will be forgotten.
Currie might be looking at THE WHOLE BODY OF WORK done by Jones, rather than this season.
Me, personally, I am ticked off because we had stupid losses. Florida (3) times. Vandy (2) times, A & M, Oklahoma, Arkansas, USC (2) times...
I think bUTch has reached his potential as a head coach. He can't take us to any kind of championship. He doesn't have the ability to do that.
I am appreciative of him bringing the program back to where we went to three straight bowl games and won them all. I am appreciative that we finally beat Florida.
So, I can be upset about this situation or I can be level headed about it also.

The longer Currie drags this out, the more negative things will be said by and about UT. Further tarnishing the program and University. The perception that is developing is that the Athletic Department has no direction of what to do nor the ability to make decisions.
I'm wondering is Currie has no legitimate leads on who to replace Butch and therefore is afraid to let him go.

Reactions: 4 people
picture.php

The question should be "Does he havr a GOOD plan"?

I swear I'm about ready to be done with TN football. Is it basketball season yet? lol

Would it make you feel better if Currie came out and said I hate butch jones and his goofy haircut. His kids stopped by for Halloween and instead of candy I gave them their dads pink slip. Every AD is going to say they stand behind there coach and have a great relationship. It's just talk. Butch will be fired, could be after Saturday could be at the end of the season. Just let it ride.

Last two sentences say it all. Any AD worth his salt will stand behind and encourage his coaches and players until the firing/resignation announcement. Mike Hamilton didn't do that. He worked behind Fulmer's back instead of encouraging him and the players in 2008 and look at the mess that caused. If Currie plans to fire CBJ or force his resignation, he SHOULD keep things close to the vest and speak encouragingly about his coach and the players in public. In private, he could be giving ultimatums or limitations to the coaches or players, and he COULD be making informal contacts with the agents or other representatives of prospective coaching candidates. Those talks may have to be kept hush-hush for the sake of the UT football program and for the sake of the prospective coaching candidates, especially if they are currently coaching. Therefore, Volnation, we need to TRY to be patient for a few more days... or weeks... ... :thud:

in his SECOND year, Kirby Smart has Georgia at #1 in the nation and the Dawgs are looking like the monster that could likely rule the SEC for years.

in his FIFTH year, Butch Jones is presiding over a dumpster fire that is 0-5 in the SEC and LOST TO KENTUCKY and there are no bright spots as long as he is the Vols coach.

all you "Give Butch More Time" dummies out there -- what about this DONT YOU GET ?
are you really that brainless ?

Look, Smart inherited a great roster. As time goes on, UGA will be less and less successful. Yes, they will go to bowl games but that is it. They will begin to slip because Smart can't recruit....

If he has a plan then it sucks. Now with the concussion deal his lack of leadership has probably put a huge dent in the hopes of getting some of the top candidates. Not blaming what happened on him but the lack of action indirectly led to this being possible!

Look, Smart inherited a great roster. As time goes on, UGA will be less and less successful. Yes, they will go to bowl games but that is it. They will begin to slip because Smart can't recruit....

Looks like he's doing a pretty good job of recruiting right now.

in his SECOND year, Kirby Smart has Georgia at #1 in the nation and the Dawgs are looking like the monster that could likely rule the SEC for years.

in his FIFTH year, Butch Jones is presiding over a dumpster fire that is 0-5 in the SEC and LOST TO KENTUCKY and there are no bright spots as long as he is the Vols coach.

all you "Give Butch More Time" dummies out there -- what about this DONT YOU GET ?
are you really that brainless ?

The UGA ranking is what makes me SICK to my stomach in Kirby's SECOND FN YEAR! WTF is all I can say?

None of us are aware of what’s going on behind the scenes with Currie & the Administration.

Currie told Jones and his staff two weeks ago they would be evaluated on how they finish the season, and he told Big Orange Hotline host Bob Kesling on Monday night that he evaluates all Tennessee sports programs on a daily basis.

Last edited:

Inherited.....Inschmerited.

Botch has had FIVE years to bring in stud recruits and have them ready. He has FAILED MISERABLY either because of incompetence or just being full of sheet.

Reactions: 2 people
none of us are aware of what’s going on behind the scenes with currie & the administration.

Currie told jones and his staff two weeks ago they would be evaluated on how they finish the season, and he told big orange hotline host bob kesling on monday night that he evaluates all tennessee sports programs on a daily basis.[/quot

He evaluates ... and does nothing. Paralysis by analysis.

None of us are aware of what’s going on behind the scenes with Currie & the Administration.

Currie told Jones and his staff two weeks ago they would be evaluated on how they finish the season, and he told Big Orange Hotline host Bob Kesling on Monday night that he evaluates all Tennessee sports programs on a daily basis.

Until Sgt Carter packs his duffel, slings it over his shoulder and walks out the front gate, i will remain in doubt

He better have a plan to find the next coach!! If we don’t start reaching out to candidates and miss AGAIN, we are the dumbest program. We are in position to make a great hire IF we work now to recruit them.

The longer Currie drags this out, the more negative things will be said by and about UT. Further tarnishing the program and University. The perception that is developing is that the Athletic Department has no direction of what to do nor the ability to make decisions.
I'm wondering is Currie has no legitimate leads on who to replace Butch and therefore is afraid to let him go.
:good!:

I have zero faith in Currie being able to get the job done. I have a bad feeling about the next 5-10 years of Tennessee athletics.

VN Store

Back