Do yall really believe in the Alabama Bump?

RoaminVol

Dat Ninja
I know we joke around about when a certain school offers a recruit they jump in the rankings or fall? Do you authentically think that is true or is a myth we made up on VN? Im here for the comments.

What I do know is Saban is an eliiiite evaluator of talent, so when he offers it is like being given the answers to the test...so the real question is why wouldn't there be?

Hell, you could probably build a simple recruiting ranking algorithm just based off of offers...

Its actually pretty simple. If you knew nothing about sports but had a degree in journalism and we’re hired at one of the services what would you do to guarantee accuracy? Sit back, wait and see who offers. Anyone ever wonder why we don’t recognize any names representing any of them as ex players?

Reactions: ksgovols
Its actually pretty simple. If you knew nothing about sports but had a degree in journalism and we’re hired at one of the services what would you do to guarantee accuracy? Sit back, wait and see who offers. Anyone ever wonder why we don’t recognize any names representing any of them as ex players?

Who is "them"? I don't think guys like Simmons or Luginbill went to J-school. Both played ball and were decent in their own right.

Are NFL scouts previous "name" players too? Of course not. Any great player that got paid doesn't need to work, especially as a scout.

Who is "them"? I don't think guys like Simmons or Luginbill went to J-school. Both played ball and were decent in their own right.

Are NFL scouts previous "name" players too? Of course not. Any great player that got paid doesn't need to work, especially as a scout.
Not my point. I was pointing out that most of them have never played. Not that none of them did. Also I never meant to imply that none were professional. I think every service has a few that are.

247 has more Bama fans paying 9.99 per month... Also its about clicks on 247 website... They miss on players every year & get some right too... Khalil Mack was a 2 star out of Florida ...Drew Richmond 5 star.... Yes its a total SCAM ....Guessing Game !!!!! DO NOT waste your money on Ryan & Barton ...

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
Not my point. I was pointing out that most of them have never played. Not that none of them did. Also I never meant to imply that none were professional. I think every service has a few that are.

Not sure who you are thinking of. But there are great coaches and NFL GMs that didn't either. It may help, but far from a requirement. Football isn't rocket science.

I'm not sure who the journalism majors are either you refer to.

Take these kind of post to the FF with all the other conspiracy theorist.5E38AF6B-3CAA-4ECE-A1D6-BA27541D47CD.gif

247 has more Bama fans paying 9.99 per month... Also its about clicks on 247 website... They miss on players every year & get some right too... Khalil Mack was a 2 star out of Florida ...Drew Richmond 5 star.... Yes its a total SCAM ....Guessing Game !!!!! DO NOT waste your money on Ryan & Barton ...
Actually NC is #1, Bama #5 or 6. The bump IS real, they have admitted it. Not that just bc they committed there or got an offer from there but they trust Bama’s Evaluations so if they get a commit, especially from a lower ranked prospect, they reevaluate that prospect to see if they missed their evaluation. IOW, then trust Bamas evals over theirs. SEC bump is also real.

Reactions: Devo182
Well geez, Saban has been recruiting actual 2 stars this whole time and winning championships. Guess all those "#1 classes" weren't true after all 😅😅 alert somebody

Not sure who you are thinking of. But there are great coaches and NFL GMs that didn't either. It may help, but far from a requirement. Football isn't rocket science.

I'm not sure who the journalism majors are either you refer to.
Just a reference. I didn’t mean it literally that they need a degree or have played. The point is there are very few professionals doing the jobs most of us trust. Plus it’s all just my opinion anyway. Nothing has ever been proven on either side of the debate.

Well geez, Saban has been recruiting actual 2 stars this whole time and winning championships. Guess all those "#1 classes" weren't true after all 😅😅 alert somebody
I think the culture there in Tuscaloosa has as much to do with that as the players themselves. I wouldn’t say they are accurate in the rankings as a result though.

These #1 classes were a combination of Saban identifying talent, his recruits getting bumps over equally capable players and the elite players wanting to join the team with the highest ranked recruiting class. The more he won the more it happened. KS has managed to do the same at GA, but he will eventually have to win something for it to continue.

I think the culture there in Tuscaloosa has as much to do with that as the players themselves. I wouldn’t say they are accurate in the rankings as a result though.

Their barometer is the draft. 5s get drafted more than 4s and 4s more than 3s. So technically they have some degree of accuracy. I'm not sure what amount is the right or acceptable amount, nor does anyone else. Those "professionals" you speak of work for multimillion dollar NFL franchises and aren't very good at NFL drafting, despite only having to scout a fraction that college scouts do. The truth is nobody is anywhere close to being crazy accurate at projecting human athletic outcomes. But most do a decent job.

Reactions: De La Cloobs
Their barometer is the draft. 5s get drafted more than 4s and 4s more than 3s. So technically they have some degree of accuracy. I'm not sure what amount is the right or acceptable amount, nor does anyone else. Those "professionals" you speak of work for multimillion dollar NFL franchises and aren't very good at NFL drafting, despite only having to scout a fraction that college scouts do. The truth is nobody is anywhere close to being crazy accurate at projecting human athletic outcomes. But most do a decent job.
I’ll go with decent. I think that’s pretty accurate. They do get it right at times.

Actually NC is #1, Bama #5 or 6. The bump IS real, they have admitted it. Not that just bc they committed there or got an offer from there but they trust Bama’s Evaluations so if they get a commit, especially from a lower ranked prospect, they reevaluate that prospect to see if they missed their evaluation. IOW, then trust Bamas evals over theirs. SEC bump is also real.
In other words, couple that with the recent information about how they rank prospects, and it is verified even more that they don’t have a clue what they’re doing.

The data is out there, it's collectable, plenty of people have plenty of motivation to collect it, and yet I have never seen data that supports the idea that over any statistically significant period of time (or even one cycle), that recruits' rankings increase or decrease based on their commitment to any particular school. I'd like to see it if there is any, until then I consider it very much like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster. We've had cell phone cameras for years and still no one has snapped a clear photo of either. I suspect someone has done their homework on this subject, and I suspect it doesn't support the conspiracy (which nearly every school's fanbase shares in some form by the way (247/Rivals/ESPN) hates my school, they love (X/Y/Z school) and rank their players higher, hell even Bama fans talk of persecution and a "Clemson bump", as hilarious as that is).

Again, if anybody has any data on this I'd love to look at it, I'm open minded. The truth is out there.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back