Do we see more running with JG under center?

Not true, how many mules have you seen running behind Bamas line, you need horses in this league.
Tennessee doesn't have mules at running back. Maybe a cutting horse and thoroughbred. But we don't have mules. I do think we need one big draft horse. I think he is slatted for next year (Cody Brown).

grey_draft_conformation.jpg

Now, we need to set up the pass WITH THE RUNNING GAME ! The running game is what takes it toll on the opposition d line. Especially in the fourth quarter. Just my opinion.
This is what I was getting at. JG struggles after that 1st read. Focus on using the run to set up PA pass, then JG shouldn't have to look beyond his 1st option.

Like the Titans have done over the past 2 seasons. Would be a great template for UT's strengths and weaknesses.

The strength of this offense is the OL. This was true last week, but it is even more true now with Mays gaining immediate eligibility. We have a bunch of mean and talented road graders. With that being said, do we see more handoffs from JG under center?
If you want a single answer, there isn't one. The standard reply is, you take what the defense gives you. If they stack the box, throw it. If they back away, run it down their throat. Of course, it's not that simple, but you'd better have a flexible offense if you hope to win in this league.

I’d argue being under center takes away from the running game. You now have no rpo or zone read options and make it easier for teams to key on your back.

I think that until we prove that we have a passing attack downfield, every DC will stack the LOS to stop the run and will be successful in preventing large yardage gains running the ball.
The play calling in the USC game was about as balanced as it can be. Right at 50-50.
As it stands for now though, we really aren't a deep threat.

I’d argue being under center takes away from the running game. You now have no rpo or zone read options and make it easier for teams to key on your back.
Which is why your throw in PA. If you are just better on the OL than your opponent, then you can physically impose your will on them. If they load the box, then throw the ball downfield. I am just tired of JG being the focal point of the offense, when he isn't very good

This is probably the first year under his tenure we have depth on both sides of the ball to stay competitive while rotating players in/out. This allows them to be more aggressive on O vs. trying to shorten the game w/a run first strategy.

As others have said you are going to need balance to beat the big boys but, perhaps more importantly, a Jamal Lewis type back to really punish defenses. We have great backs but they are slashers IMO. You try to run them 20 x each between the tackles and we won't have both for the season.

Lastly, momentum plays are huge. Chunk plays, turnovers, big stops get Uncle Mo on your side and keeps the other team off balance. When they are giving up big plays they start worrying about stopping those and all of a sudden the short and intermediate zones open up.

Tony Thompson and Travis Stephens are great examples
Players that played with Stephens have to a man said he was one of the best "football" players they ever played with, Stephens was a high quality back and nothing like you try to make him. Thompson was always average I thought.

The strength of this offense is the OL. This was true last week, but it is even more true now with Mays gaining immediate eligibility. We have a bunch of mean and talented road graders. With that being said, do we see more handoffs from JG under center?

I would love to see Chaney do this more, especially when the VOLS are up by a score or two late in the game. UGA and Bama may be the only teams on the schedule with the talent and depth at DT/DE to counter it.
The defense is dictating what we do offensively. If they stack 8 guys in the box like South Carolina did it forces us to throw. I think we will see a stacked box the majority of the time as long as Guarantano is our qb. Either Guarantano makes the throws and makes them respect our passing game enough to back off, or we won’t be running atleast not with favorable numbers.

There is ZERO reason why we should not be able to successfully establish a running game. In fact, its exactly what we need. Then the pass plays will open up and become easier.

Reactions: preacherwebb
The defense is dictating what we do offensively. If they stack 8 guys in the box like South Carolina did it forces us to throw. I think we will see a stacked box the majority of the time as long as Guarantano is our qb. Either Guarantano makes the throws and makes them respect our passing game enough to back off, or we won’t be running atleast not with favorable numbers.
We had favorable numbers the 2nd half of the USCjrs game, how is that possible if they were doing exactly as you say?

Which is why your throw in PA. If you are just better on the OL than your opponent, then you can physically impose your will on them. If they load the box, then throw the ball downfield. I am just tired of JG being the focal point of the offense, when he isn't very good

You can do everything you just said from the gun

Hard for you to debate when you say we can't run against a stacked box, you said USCjrs stacked the box and I pointed out the very good half we had running the football against what you say we can't be successful doing with JG at QB. You can't debate it because your original post on the situation is wrong and nothing you can say would change that fact. Keep spinning it spinner!
We ran the ball quite well in the second half. We could have leaned on that but Chaney really wanted to pass. Makes you think he now has enough confidence in JG.

We ran the ball quite well in the second half. We could have leaned on that but Chaney really wanted to pass. Makes you think he now has enough confidence in JG.
I thought Chandler had a really good game and I think it is he rather than Gray who should be getting more touches. The pop passes to V Jones were effective as well and pretty much a running play. I'd like to see us get both Chandler and Gray out in space more, similar to how Mullen uses Toney at Fl.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Pruitt said during his halftime interview with Alyssa Lang on Saturday night that UT needed to throw the ball down field more often and really push the ball in the passing game...

I was thinking the exact same thing that you were as you posted this..
Here's the thing, in order for an offenses running game can truly be effective in todays game you have to have a qb & wideouts that defenses truly respect, that makes the defense back off the line of scrimmage. The problem is defenses arent afraid of our qb so they can afford to hang out around the line of scrimmage. Once our qb start making defenses pay for this strategy then you will see our run game become the dominate force it has the potential to be, but we must push em off the line of scrimmage with constant downfield completions not two or three a game.

Reactions: HooahVol

VN Store

Back