Do we see more running with JG under center?

The strength of this offense is the OL. This was true last week, but it is even more true now with Mays gaining immediate eligibility. We have a bunch of mean and talented road graders. With that being said, do we see more handoffs from JG under center?

I would love to see Chaney do this more, especially when the VOLS are up by a score or two late in the game. UGA and Bama may be the only teams on the schedule with the talent and depth at DT/DE to counter it.

The strength of this offense is the OL. This was true last week, but it is even more true now with Mays gaining immediate eligibility. We have a bunch of mean and talented road graders. With that being said, do we see more handoffs from JG under center?

I would love to see Chaney do this more, especially when the VOLS are up by a score or two late in the game. UGA and Bama may be the only teams on the schedule with the talent and depth at DT/DE to counter it.

Here's a funny thing. I think Pruitt is pushing Chaney to emphasize the passing game. I think Pruitt is demanding big chunk-yardage plays from his OC. You wouldn't initially think that, given that Pruitt comes (sort of, partially) from the Saban coaching tree. But I think it's true.

They've said things a few times over the past twelve months that make me think that. I don't remember any of them off the top of my head, and I sure don't have links to share, but I absolutely remember them saying things along those lines. Both Chaney and Pruitt himself.

It's just like when talking defense, Pruitt is all about forcing turnovers. Big plays, splash plays. Game-changing plays.

Folks make a big deal about how strongly CJP has embraced Neyland's "put on more steam" maxim, but it seems to me he is at least as in love with the parts of the General's philosophy that revolve around creating and taking advantage of breaks in the game.

So, hmm, I don't see Pruitt allowing a run-centric offense, UNLESS the lads start breaking 12+ yard runs over and over again. Maybe then.

I don't see us scoring very many points running the ball 40 times against Bama or Gawga. Both have big strong defensive teams and I think each will score about 20 points. We still have difficulty scoring TDs inside the red/Orange zone against teams which have less than really strong defenses. Miisou scored a bunch of points throwing the ball all over the field against LSU. I know, we don't really know if LSU can stop anyone with the players they played on defense last week. I am not saying we need to throw the ball 40 times a game, but we do need to keep every defense we play to know we can move the ball through the air. If we emphasize the run early in the game and it fails, we will likely dig a hole from which we can not emerge.

Last edited:
Here's a funny thing. I think Pruitt is pushing Chaney to emphasize the passing game. I think Pruitt is demanding big chunk-yardage plays from his OC. You wouldn't initially think that, given that Pruitt comes (sort of, partially) from the Saban coaching tree. But I think it's true.

They've said things a few times over the past twelve months that make me think that. I don't remember any of them off the top of my head, and I sure don't have links to share, but I absolutely remember them saying things along those lines. Both Chaney and Pruitt himself.

It's just like when talking defense, Pruitt is all about forcing turnovers. Big plays, splash plays. Game-changing plays.

Folks make a big deal about how strongly CJP has embraced Neyland's "put on more steam" maxim, but it seems to me he is at least as in love with the parts of the General's philosophy that revolve around creating and taking advantage of breaks in the game.

So, hmm, I don't see Pruitt allowing a run-centric offense, UNLESS the lads start breaking 12+ yard runs over and over again. Maybe then.
Pruitt said during his halftime interview with Alyssa Lang on Saturday night that UT needed to throw the ball down field more often and really push the ball in the passing game...

I was thinking the exact same thing that you were as you posted this..

I don't see us scoring very many points running the ball 40 times against Bama or Gawga. Bothe have big strong defensive teams and I think each will score about 20 points. We still have difficulty scoring TDs inside the red/Orange zone against teams which have less than really strong defenses. Miisou scored a bunch of points throwing the ball all over the fieldagainst LSU. I know, we don't really know if LSU can stop anyone with the players they played on defense last week. I am not saying we need to throw the ball 40 times a game, but we do need to keep every defense we play to know we can move the ball through the air. If we emphasize the run early in the game and it fails, we will likely dig a hole from which we can not emerge.

We should be able to run when we want against anyone not named Bama, but the chunk plays that Bama was getting from Tua just opened up their run game even more. I could see Pruitt wanting to get the defense on its heels with those big plays then cramming it down their throats when they back off. However, wouldn’t it be nice to know we can get 2 yards pretty much anytime anywhere?

Chandler was hanging around that 7 yd mark on Saturday. I would always keep that as an integral part of the offense. We can run the ball and that keeps pressure off of JG.

The two can go hand-in-hand. Run to set up the pass or pass to set up the run, depending on the opponent. Could be that Pruitt wants to pound the rock AND hit big plays in the passing game. Can't do one without the other and have a highly effective offense, IMO.

Chandler was hanging around that 7 yd mark on Saturday. I would always keep that as an integral part of the offense. We can run the ball and that keeps pressure off of JG.
The two can go hand-in-hand. Run to set up the pass or pass to set up the run, depending on the opponent. Could be that Pruitt wants to pound the rock AND hit big plays in the passing game. Can't do one without the other and have a highly effective offense, IMO.
I'm not the one you're arguing with lads, I love me some run game. You're gonna have to bring these arguments up with Pruitt, who I think is looking first and foremost for big chunk yardage plays.

Against teams like Missouri I would run until they can prove to me they can stop it. Once they cheat too much give JG a very high percentage throw like a quick slant just to keep the honest.

Like VOLINVONORE stated above though, that strategy won't work against the big dogs. Maybe we can bring in Harrison for a few long throws. JG is the game manager, Harrison is the passer. I doubt Harrison would be less accurate.

Reactions: Halph66
Pruitt said during his halftime interview with Alyssa Lang on Saturday night that UT needed to throw the ball down field more often and really push the ball in the passing game...

Well we're going to need a good quarterback
if Pruitt wants this.

Now, we need to set up the pass WITH THE RUNNING GAME ! The running game is what takes it toll on the opposition d line. Especially in the fourth quarter. Just my opinion.

Unless while you are running, running and running early to "setup" the 4th qtr. the other team has thrown for 3 td's and is not worrying about the 4th qtr.!!!!

Reactions: cgrish
Against teams like Missouri I would run until they can prove to me they can stop it. Once they cheat too much give JG a very high percentage throw like a quick slant just to keep the honest.

Like VOLINVONORE stated above though, that strategy won't work against the big dogs. Maybe we can bring in Harrison for a few long throws. JG is the game manager, Harrison is the passer. I doubt Harrison would be less accurate.

If you give JG this alley to throw, better hope a safety is not playing behind the receiver. If there is, then it's a likely interception!!!

Also a defensive coach knows how taking the top off the defense hurts them and creates big run plays.

Reactions: beamerman

I dont know that Tennessee has the horses at RB to have a run-centric offense.

And he could be setting up UGA and Bama to prepare to play the pass so that the Vols can exploit the run. We shall see.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Last week on one series, TN decided to run the ball down SC's throat and they did. After that all they did is have JG make difficult throws. I don't know if that's Pruitt or Chaney making the call but it was the wrong call. I would love to see some power football.

VN Store

Back