Do we need to get nervous about recruiting?

Anybody got the scoop on how many scholly reductions we have this season? Hopefully most were counted against 2021. We also have reduced visits and stuff.

I suspect we will hold our own with high end WRs and RBs and we have a good QB lined up but we will need to take two this cycle maybe one transfer. We need to shore up our secondary, both lines and LB. After graduations, there will be plenty of opportunities for DL, OL and LB recruits to come in and land a spot.

Now that we have blown off the bowl ban and CJH staff has proven to be greater utilizers and developers of talent, I expect us to start gaining traction in recruiting. Might get a few FL commits to flip as well.
We need a good RB in a baaaaad way.

I have concens. I also think the portal is going to be more important in the rebuild than the HS players initially. Heupel may have to follow the Rick Barnes blueprint. "If you build it, they will come."

Watched the Patriots' game today, and they had a RB playing who was a 0 star coming out of high school. These rating services aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Reactions: HalfullVol and AshG
Calllllllllllllm down

Year 1-Heup is building the right relationships with HS coaches(so we hear)

With all of the NCAA clouds hanging over our program on top of the normal volatility surrounding a less than graceful coaching change, it’s no wonder we have struck out on many big recruits……

serious question:who do we think would have done significantly better at this point?

Heup is building culture and seems to be doing things the right way…I’m confident that if we keep doing the right things and putting up Ws on the field we’ll get right back into the mix recruiting wise.

Reactions: J C Higgins
Yes and no.

Yes, we aren’t where we need to be rn. If we did nothing additional, our class would be atrocious. Does CJH have what it takes considering his previous stops? Questionable.

No. We still have time. The NCAA ruling is a cloud over our head. We are a 5-4 team at the moment which is above expectations but not crazy good. That will like change if we finish 8-5. Transfer portal also makes this a much grayer area because we have some big needs on both lines that will require non-freshman help. CJH still hasn’t been here a year so it takes time to develop relationships.

Do you seriously think this staff as a whole are unaware that better talent is needed to win big in the SEC? That message board posters own this kernel of info the a coaching staff and a D1 school has let it slip by them?

I hope that Banks and CJH are looking at the very best juco DTs out there. That is who will make this defense better immediately. Guys who can play two gaps and push the pocket back makes it so much easier on the rest of the defense. LBers are need as well...but for me having a full cupboard of monster DTs would be my goal.
How many of those guys are really in JUCO? If there are any, they wanna get paid and probably more so via the old school method rather than trying to develop NIL at a place where they’ll be one and done, I imagine they’re harder to get than a 5*.

Besides the NCAA issue, according to what Basilio is reporting, another big part of why we are struggling is NIL. He is reporting that we are way behind other schools in terms of presenting NIL opportunities to recruits and the reason has to do with a lack of trust, communication, or just overall relationship between Danny White and our big money boosters (particularly our "old money" boosters). Danny has evidently rubbed a lot of them the wrong way and they are not on the same page on several key issues. One of which is how to present NIL opportunities to recruits. This is effecting basketball recruiting as well.

Last edited:
I will be worried if we don’t sign 8-10 transfers. My hope is the class has 20-22 recruits and 8-10 transfers.

The question I have is how many can we sign? We are reducing the number of scholarships and it is my understanding that transfers count against your initial counters so if I understand this correctly, if you take 5 transfers, then you can only sign 20 recruits (fewer for UT). There was talk that the NCAA might change some of the rules but I don’t know what came of that. A lot of the kids that were in the portal last year never signed signed with anyone because of this rule.

Besides the NCAA issue, according to what Basilio is reporting, another big part of why we are struggling is NIL. He is reporting that we are way behind other schools in terms of presenting NIL opportunities to recruits and the reason has to do with a lack of trust, communication, or just overall relationship between Danny White and our big money boosters (particularly our "old money" boosters). Danny has evidently rubbed a lot of them the wrong way and they are not on the same page on several key issues. One of which is how to present NIL opportunities to recruits. This is effecting basketball recruiting as well.
Well alot of those old money boosters are the same ones that helped drive our program in the ditch to start with, so if they don't like White that's probably a net positive.

When it comes to recruiting for the vols, I’m not nervous at all. Here is why, it’s simple.
1. The way we have been playing, Hype will get some good ones from the transfer portal and high school. And the main one-
2. The school sells itself with the field, facilities, and playing the way we are. They’ll come, don’t worry.👍

Stop. Judging. Recruits. By. The. Rankings. Of. Nerds.

Tell. Bama. And. Georgia.

The only reason you keep repeating your tired point of view is because UT is behind the SEC schools recruiting wise.

If we were at the top, you would be celebrating the high ranking

Reactions: hog88
2022 Team Rankings Southeastern

We are currently behind every team in the SEC East except Florida (funny) and Vandy.
I'm torn. I don't love seeing us behind schools like UK, USC, and Mizzou at all, but we've been better than them in recruiting for years with no return. I'm open to a different approach, but we're back there with Auburn. That's another new staff coming in outside the SEC but also doing well. Both of us should close strong with the expectation of maybe the classes at LSU and Missouri falling off some with disappointing seasons.

Agreed. More focus needs to be on transfer and portal players with more than 1 year eligibility that are ready to play day 1. Then focus on some HS kids that can be coached up
Offense guys especially WR should be licking their chops to want to play here, Defensive guys should be thinking I can start there and look good
Defensive guys need to be thinking even if they are 3rd stringers, they are going to see a lot of PT.

Of course, recruiting is important but can anybody agree with me on something? This is the first year in a long time that I haven’t thought “UT needs to recruit a whole new team of better talent.” There are deficiencies but I see game changers at key positions that the Vols haven’t had in a long time. Many of the problems this year stemmed from injuries and the guys behind them gained valuable experience. Recruiting is always going to be about finding the right guys that fit your system. The Vols may only be a couple of key pieces away from taking the next step.

VN Store

Back