Do we need to get nervous about recruiting?

I’m not going to worry about the 2022 class. Heupel has a lot working against him right now, and he hasn’t had the time to establish relationships that other coaches did for 2022.

He has a lot more to sell now and has had more success than “experts” said he would in Year 1. If our class is still outside the top 30 in 2023, then I’ll worry.

Heupel has played big time football and been around it plenty to know who he should go after.

I am much more optimistic after last night, in a way. CJH has to find a defensive guru. But he can coach some offense. He has coached Hooker well. We will go places with this offense.

Didn’t he inherit alot of Scott Frost’s recruits and players I mean Heup was only there three seasons. Admittedly I haven’t checked UCFs recruiting rankings in the time he coached there from 2018-2020

No, Frost only signed one full class at UCF. He had a partial class the year he was hired, then left a partial class when he left. Heupel's recruiting ranking was in-line with Frost's and he found Dillon Gabriel who started as a freshman for him and had NFL buzz going into this season before he was injured.

I'll cheer for whoever is on the field and clad in Pantone 151. The game is about them, not us.

I've seen enough 5 Star Disappointments at UT to last a lifetime anyway.

Agree - Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma - they can barely field a team year in, year out with all their overrated 5 stars. Oh ... wait .....

Actually, now that I think about it, you have to be able to recruit and coach to be successful. Period - end of story.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
I am a little short this week - can you check back in a few.

Also, Danny White keeps charging me more to get tickets and to go to the games.

Given what this coaching staff is doing with the rag tag bunch they have now, I'm not worried. Even just fielding a full team of middling talent ought to be a step up. Another solid season next year full of highlights on offense will draw the elite recruits we want. My only concern till then is at the QB spot. What if Hooker didn't stay another year? Starting a true freshman we haven't even heard of yet sounds a little scary.

Calm down.

The entire recruiting landscape has changed with the rules change pertaining to transfers.
NOBODY got hurt worse than UT this season, with all the transfers out.
We've been helped as well with transfers IN, so I guarantee you, this staff has their eyes on some big-time portal possibilities.
Honestly, the way the rules are going to affect things going forward, I feel sorry for the high school recruits.
They're going to get stuck waiting to see if schools can make room for them, they'll have to wait to see how all the transfers shake out, to even know what kind of room for high school kids these teams will have left over.

The entire dynamic of "recruiting" has been flipped on its head, and we need to understand, it ain't just about recruiting high-star high school kids anymore.
Heck, the way things are going, it may be half or less of those kids coming in and leaving in any given year.

I bet CJH understands this better than most.
Gonna be fine.

Agree 💯

Reactions: Ratvol
I’m more excited that we have the best game day coach here since Doug Dickey or Majors he’s def the best we have had since Fulmer was fired. I feel like now we have a punchers chance against any team in the country and I feel confident he can coach up the players no matter if they are a 2 star or 5 star. The recruits are seeing what he is doing in year one don’t worry they will come. This team plays hard for him unlike our previous loser coach. GBO!

Dang it. Here you go getting me to like your posts 😎. But I completely agree with you. It sucks that we are gonna have scholarships reduced though. I feel like that could be a major stumbling block to Heupels early success.

Beat Clemson for an 8th win, then win an 11th win over a top 1t team next year and recruiting will take care of itself.

I will admit I'm a bit nervous for recruiting. We lost out on our only big-time player (Nolen) and have whiffed on EVERY blue chip player in our own state. The highest ranked kid in Tenn that we're in on is the #20 player in the state... which isn't good.

This was UCF fans biggest knock on Heupel... he doesn't and can't recruit. That will be his downfall here if that doesn't get fixed.

That can all be balanced by bringing in quality transfers and JUCO’s. How many freshmen are contributing to this team compared to our first year transfers—many of whom can come back for additional season(s)?

IMO, some of you recruitnik folks (I used to be one myself) are not seeing the forest for the trees.

Last edited:
I think we have to let the next month play out and see where it all lands. It's only been a few weeks where there has been serious notice as to the product on the field. Ole Miss was good (mustard bottles aside), KY game was good. It's opening people's eyes as to the potential there is. As CJH said a short time ago, the product on the field is beginning to sell itself in terms of recruiting.

But I do agree with others.....I'm leaning on the transfer portal heavier this year. Primarily for OL help and depth....next would be DL since we're losing a few.

I will be worried if we don’t sign 8-10 transfers. My hope is the class has 20-22 recruits and 8-10 transfers.

I am nervous. Our last HC came from a program where going after big recruits was the norm. Huep and our AD comes from a school where getting an occasional 4 star is considered killing it. Does he even know who he should be going after?

Are recruits nervous about what the NCAA will do? Are the coaches?

My hope is we are going to dive into the transfer portal because we need college ready bodies like yesterday

I just hope we close strong. And to be fair, CJH has shown he can coach up the ones he gets. So that's a little bit comforting.
Wait... What?

It's your contention that someone who had to get more out of their talent would naturally not be as adept at spotting talent?

VN Store

Back