Discontinued fast food items rant

It was strange though. Ruby Tuesday always had a crowd here. Good service. Consistent food. Open one day. Note on door and closed next. Was said employees weren't even notified. With Applebees, the local mgt was not good. They kept failing inspections. Probably forced to close or lost their franchise card or whatever. But, the Ruby Tuesday closing was strange, and apparently a trend with the company. Closed 51 locations in 2018 without notice. They concluded business on a Sunday night, locked up, told the employees and paid severance based on service, and posted a notice on the door.
Corporate decision. If they are closing even the profitable locations it likely means the corporation has severe cash flow issues.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Sonic was my first job lol. I remember they used to have all kinds of toaster sandwiches and their own version of a petro they called chili pie. They also had this banana fudge sundae that was awesome. Their menu is boring now and I hardly ever go there.

I used to love Sonic back in the day but it'd be a little awkward flirting with the carhops at the age of 40....

I miss the Court House Deli in Memphis. The owner, Brad, was a huge UT fan and the gumbo, wings, and etouffee were awesome. On a related note, I've lost 20 lbs since they closed.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
The general owners of Applebees and Ruby Tuesday's, and I guess Red Lobster and Olive Garden, I think are all one ownership group. Anyway, must be struggling corporately. Applebees and Ruby Tuesdays closed down in Cookeville. Almost over night. Well Ruby was overnight. Rumor was the Applebees here had no choice. always failed health inspections.

Darden Restaurants Owns: Olive Garden, Cheddar's, Longhorn Steakhouse
Dine Brands Owns: Applebees, IHOP
Golden Gate Capital owns: Red Lobster

Darden Restaurants Owns: Olive Garden, Cheddar's, Longhorn Steakhouse
Dine Brands Owns: Applebees, IHOP
Golden Gate Capital owns: Red Lobster

Cheddars definitely tops on that list for me. Hadn't been a patron of Applebees for quite some time. And IHOP is the only other on that list that is worth spending money on. Longhorn used to be, but I don't think they are as good anymore. We have a local steak joint that is much better than the chains so when we do go out for a steak, we go local.

Cheddars definitely tops on that list for me. Hadn't been a patron of Applebees for quite some time. And IHOP is the only other on that list that is worth spending money on. Longhorn used to be, but I don't think they are as good anymore. We have a local steak joint that is much better than the chains so when we do go out for a steak, we go local.
I liked Applebees hamburgers even though they were expensive as hell:D

I liked Applebees hamburgers even though they were expensive as hell:D

Yeah. Used to wear Applebees out. For years, the only thing I ate there was the chicken finger and riblet platter. In their day, the chicken fingers were the gold standard, and the riblets were just good. And there house sirloin and garlic mashed potatoes were good. Just got to where I didn't go as much, then hardly at all.

Haven't done Shoney's breakfast bar since the guy in front of us, who already had his plate triple stacked, was double dipping biscuits in the gravy in line and leaning over the bar to eat it. We left. That was our last visit.

I've eaten a decent share of Subway, but it was never a hit with me to begin with. My favorite childhood sub shop was Blimpie. The best I've had lately is either Penn Station or Which Wich.

1579805075995.gif

Haven't done Shoney's breakfast bar since the guy in front of us, who already had his plate triple stacked, was double dipping biscuits in the gravy in line and leaning over the bar to eat it. We left. That was our last visit.

I've eaten a decent share of Subway, but it was never a hit with me to begin with. My favorite childhood sub shop was Blimpie. The best I've had lately is either Penn Station or Which Wich.
lol

Buffets are one of those things that used to be popular but isn't anymore, and looking back on it you wonder "How was this ever popular to begin with?" I guess getting to eat a lot of food for cheap is the obvious answer, but they are so disgusting.

Reactions: pismonque
lol

Buffets are one of those things that used to be popular but isn't anymore, and looking back on it you wonder "How was this ever popular to begin with?" I guess getting to eat a lot of food for cheap is the obvious answer, but they are so disgusting.
Buffets are still delicious:cool:

As soon as Applebee's basically changed their entire menu and got rid of the crispy orange chicken bowl I was like, so long Applebee's.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Speaking of chain business closings. I was in the food industry as a supply vendor for 35 years. It's crappy but normal for the stores to close without notifying the employees of the pending closings. As vendors some of us would be notified of the closing and given a date to recover loaned equipment, dishwashers, beverage equipment etc. The notification always stated " contact GM via cell to schedule, do not notify any employees" pretty ******.

lol

We've done Ryan's a few times (never thought it was really any good), the Chinese buffet a few times, Golden Coral till I was walking the different areas and saw the kitchen door to each open. Not pretty. Golden Coral now has breakfast buffet, and there seems to be a good crowd usually, but I haven't been brave enough.

Speaking of chain business closings. I was in the food industry as a supply vendor for 35 years. It's crappy but normal for the stores to close without notifying the employees of the pending closings. As vendors some of us would be notified of the closing and given a date to recover loaned equipment, dishwashers, beverage equipment etc. The notification always stated " contact GM via cell to schedule, do not notify any employees" pretty ******.
What's the reason for not telling employees? A fear that if you give them a heads up they'll just immediately quit, meaning you won't have anybody to work the restaurant until it actually does close?

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Anyone here like Mr. Gattis’s pizza st Knoxville? My favorite tasting pizza of all time but now the Knoxville location is the only one I know open in a 3 hour radius of where I live in Abingdon.

Reactions: thehill98
What's the reason for not telling employees? A fear that if you give them a heads up they'll just immediately quit, meaning you won't have anybody to work the restaurant until it actually does close?
I suppose, I imagine there's also the concern of discussing this with the customer which could create additional issues. Like I said, it's a crappy way to treat the employees.

Your statement is likely right. I cannot comprehend any other reason for them not notifying employees in advance.
It still seems unnecessary to do it that way though. Say you give employees a 2 week notice, exactly the same time you'd want an employee to give you a heads up that they were leaving. What are the odds a huge portion of your staff quits en masse to the point where you couldn't even operate for the final 2 weeks? In all likelihood, wouldn't most of them start looking for a new job then but stay on for the final 2 weeks, then start working somewhere else after the restaurant closed? And even if they all did quit, why not shut it down a couple weeks earlier than expected? Does it really make that big a difference?

I know the restaurant/bar workforce is very transient and has a gigantic amount of turnover, but I can't imagine they'd all just quit immediately if given a couple weeks notice, even though they probably pretty easily could find another job. Maybe they would, I don't know.

It still seems unnecessary to do it that way though. Say you give employees a 2 week notice, exactly the same time you'd want an employee to give you a heads up that they were leaving. What are the odds a huge portion of your staff quits en masse to the point where you couldn't even operate for the final 2 weeks? In all likelihood, wouldn't most of them start looking for a new job then but stay on for the final 2 weeks, then start working somewhere else after the restaurant closed? And even if they all did quit, why not shut it down a couple weeks earlier than expected? Does it really make that big a difference?

I know the restaurant/bar workforce is very transient and has a gigantic amount of turnover, but I can't imagine they'd all just quit immediately if given a couple weeks notice, even though they probably pretty easily could find another job. Maybe they would, I don't know.
I think they are more concerned about the employees or family members “misbehaving” than them quitting encases. Theft, vandalism, customer directed aggression

VN Store

Back