Did you know? (UF prediction)

Mullen would likely be on his way out now if an injury hadn't made the QB decision for him. By historic standards, this is not a particularly talented UF team. I'm not someone who puts complete trust in recruiting rankings. OTOH, there aren't many secret, under the radar recruits in Florida.

Mullen's recruiting classes have been ranked 4th, 5th, 6th, and 5th in the SEC. I won't pretend UT has done better or doesn't have a million unknowns because of attrition... if you won't pretend like that's "good" for a team in a state with that amount of talent. For a talent rich state like Florida... that's pretty pathetic.

I suspect this and lack of faith in Jones is why some pollsters haven't even included UF in their top 25. In spite of a soft OOC schedule, a lot of people just don't believe your Gators are as great as you do. You probably have 3 built in losses unless Smart's incompetence can make up for a pretty significant talent gap. The schedule makers in the SEC FINALLY gave you a dose of justice for all those years the schedule seemed to be made to order. You get Bama followed by a potential trap game vs UT but then UK on the road. Vandy gives you a break but then you get LSU and UGA in consecutive weeks.

Frankly... it couldn't happen to a more deserving program or fanbase if that turns into a runaway train.

Mullen’s so-called inability to recruit is overblown by UF rival fans, and spoiled UF fans. The spoiled UF fans, usually the ones born after about 1993, think UF should be undefeated annually, win each game by 40, and finish #1 in recruiting every year, and if they don’t, all the coaches need to be fired. I’ve said many times, Mullen’s recruiting is good, not great. It’s not at all “horrible” like many Gator haters would have you believe. His last 3 classes on 247 have averaged 10th, his last 3 on Rivals have averaged 8th. That’s not “horrific,” it’s not “terrible.” It’s also not exceptional or elite. It’s simply - pretty good. He’s 3 to 5 spots, depending on which site you prefer, from moving from the good column to the very good, or excellent column. That’s not a huge step, that’s a few more highly ranked recruits per cycle from where he has been. Of course I would like to see UF in the top 5 annually, in my opinion Mullen will get there soon and this “he can’t recruit” narrative will slowly disappear.

The only other thing I would correct you on is the comment “Mullen would likely be on his way out now if an injury hadn't made the QB decision for him.” You didn’t think that one through. I guess you’re taking a shot at Mullen for starting Franks over Trask. It may surprise you to know that Franks was 13-3 as a starter under Mullen at Florida, and was playing very well at the end of 2018, culminating in the best game of his career in the Peach Bowl vs Michigan. As good as Trask played after Franks went down, he finished his career 16-6 as a starter under Mullen. It’s Mullen’s job to win games and he plays the QB who gives him the best chance to do that. I think it’s laughable that you want to second guess the QB Coach who has developed guys like Alex Smith, Chris Leak, Tim Tebow, Dak Prescott and Kyle Trask. You can question a lot about Mullen, but how he handles his QB’s is NOT one of the questions. Watch what he does with Emory. If that kid doesn’t get hurt he’s going to be a star.

Reactions: Longshank
I think the most important change is our university Prez cares about winning. I can’t say that for the prior. I believe we will see good results but it might take time and it might or might not be under Heupel. I’ll trust Mr. Boyd though so whether this coach or the next he will guide us back to winning.

Boyd is pretty heavily invest in East Tennessee and seems to authentically love the university. I do hope he’s able to help get things back on track.

Reactions: hUTch2002
Mullen’s so-called inability to recruit is overblown by UF rival fans, and spoiled UF fans.
Is it? Or do you hope that it is? I laid out some pretty bald facts for you. FL is no worse than 3rd when it comes to instate talent behind CA and TX. They literally don't have to get on an airplane to sign a top 3 class.

The spoiled UF fans, usually the ones born after about 1993, think UF should be undefeated annually, win each game by 40, and finish #1 in recruiting every year, and if they don’t, all the coaches need to be fired. I’ve said many times, Mullen’s recruiting is good, not great. It’s not at all “horrible” like many Gator haters would have you believe. His last 3 classes on 247 have averaged 10th, his last 3 on Rivals have averaged 8th. That’s not “horrific,” it’s not “terrible.” It’s also not exceptional or elite. It’s simply - pretty good. He’s 3 to 5 spots, depending on which site you prefer, from moving from the good column to the very good, or excellent column. That’s not a huge step, that’s a few more highly ranked recruits per cycle from where he has been. Of course I would like to see UF in the top 5 annually, in my opinion Mullen will get there soon and this “he can’t recruit” narrative will slowly disappear.
He has to be judged relative to difficulty. I think he's a very good coach and developer of talent. His recruiting doesn't match those skills unless he's finding lower rated players that other programs and recruiting sites don't.

The only other thing I would correct you on is the comment “Mullen would likely be on his way out now if an injury hadn't made the QB decision for him.” You didn’t think that one through. I guess you’re taking a shot at Mullen for starting Franks over Trask. It may surprise you to know that Franks was 13-3 as a starter under Mullen at Florida, and was playing very well at the end of 2018, culminating in the best game of his career in the Peach Bowl vs Michigan. As good as Trask played after Franks went down, he finished his career 16-6 as a starter under Mullen. It’s Mullen’s job to win games and he plays the QB who gives him the best chance to do that. I think it’s laughable that you want to second guess the QB Coach who has developed guys like Alex Smith, Chris Leak, Tim Tebow, Dak Prescott and Kyle Trask. You can question a lot about Mullen, but how he handles his QB’s is NOT one of the questions. Watch what he does with Emory. If that kid doesn’t get hurt he’s going to be a star.
Keep deluding yourself. No one else in football is confused about which guy was the MUCH better QB. Chris Leak? He had him for one year and Leak was already "developed". Not much development with Tebow. He was a brute with a bad throwing motion from start to finish. He gets full credit for Prescott- one of my favorite players and people. Trask? He started Franks over Trask. He would have remained buried without the injury in spite of clearly being the better player. You pretend like it was close. It wasn't.

Is it? Or do you hope that it is? I laid out some pretty bald facts for you. FL is no worse than 3rd when it comes to instate talent behind CA and TX. They literally don't have to get on an airplane to sign a top 3 class.

He has to be judged relative to difficulty. I think he's a very good coach and developer of talent. His recruiting doesn't match those skills unless he's finding lower rated players that other programs and recruiting sites don't.

Keep deluding yourself. No one else in football is confused about which guy was the MUCH better QB. Chris Leak? He had him for one year and Leak was already "developed". Not much development with Tebow. He was a brute with a bad throwing motion from start to finish. He gets full credit for Prescott- one of my favorite players and people. Trask? He started Franks over Trask. He would have remained buried without the injury in spite of clearly being the better player. You pretend like it was close. It wasn't.

Your comments regarding Florida’s recruiting shows your own perception of how elite Florida is. You actually hold Florida to a higher standard than I do. You would not consider an 8-10th ranked classes to be “horrible” anywhere but Florida. Recruiting classes in this range has Mullen and Florida in the SEC championship game and playing annually in NY6 Bowls. I’m good with that for now, particularly considering the state of the program during Muschamp/Mac. If and when Mullen starts getting classes in the top 5, Florida starts competing with Bama annually for SEC championships and more. And again, we’re not talking going from 20th to top 5, we’re talking going from 8th to top 5.

I don’t mind intelligent football discussion about Mullen and recruiting, or many other topics. But when someone tries to challenge Mullen’s QB coaching acumen, it tells me a) you just hate him and Florida to the point where you simply won’t cede anything positive, or b) you don’t watch football all that closely and just guess.

Chris Leak was a pure drop back passer in a purely passing offense before Mullen and Meyer arrived. Mullen coordinated that 2006 offense at Florida masterfully, calling plays to accentuate Leak’s strengths while also incorporating Tebow into the offense. It resulted in a national title. You can’t even bring yourself to credit Mullen for that. Mullen took a ruined Quarterback in Franks, a guy with zero confidence, zero self-esteem, skittish, clueless, and turned him into a 13-3 starter who was playing his ass off at the end of 2018. You also must remember that Trask had two major injuries right before Mullen arrived (broken finger) and a major injury halfway through Mullen’s first year (broken foot).

Mullen has a track record of getting the absolute best out of every QB he has ever coached. The man had Nick Fitzgerald getting real Heisman buzz, NICK FITZGERALD! And what Mullen did with lowly-recruited Dak Prescott and Kyle Trask is legendary and astounding. He coached Tim Tebow to a Heisman and a guy who is always mentioned among the greatest college players to ever play the game.

But you aren’t impressed with how Mullen handles his QB’s because he didn’t start the guy who had never played a snap and was injury-prone sooner, in place of the guy who was 13-3... How about you just say “damn, he turned Franks from Jarret Guarantono to a solid, major bowl-winning QB, and then took his injury-prone, inexperienced, unknown backup to a Heisman finalist and 2nd round NFL pick. Both stories are amazing. Here’s more news; Emory Jones has received more coaching and development, mixed with real-life game reps than any QB Mullen has ever groomed. Many of you who are so certain Emory Jones is trash, also thought Franks and Trask were sorry. You’ll see.

Your comments regarding Florida’s recruiting shows your own perception of how elite Florida is. You actually hold Florida to a higher standard than I do. You would not consider an 8-10th ranked classes to be “horrible” anywhere but Florida. Recruiting classes in this range has Mullen and Florida in the SEC championship game and playing annually in NY6 Bowls. I’m good with that for now, particularly considering the state of the program during Muschamp/Mac. If and when Mullen starts getting classes in the top 5, Florida starts competing with Bama annually for SEC championships and more. And again, we’re not talking going from 20th to top 5, we’re talking going from 8th to top 5.

I don’t mind intelligent football discussion about Mullen and recruiting, or many other topics. But when someone tries to challenge Mullen’s QB coaching acumen, it tells me a) you just hate him and Florida to the point where you simply won’t cede anything positive, or b) you don’t watch football all that closely and just guess.

Chris Leak was a pure drop back passer in a purely passing offense before Mullen and Meyer arrived. Mullen coordinated that 2006 offense at Florida masterfully, calling plays to accentuate Leak’s strengths while also incorporating Tebow into the offense. It resulted in a national title. You can’t even bring yourself to credit Mullen for that. Mullen took a ruined Quarterback in Franks, a guy with zero confidence, zero self-esteem, skittish, clueless, and turned him into a 13-3 starter who was playing his ass off at the end of 2018. You also must remember that Trask had two major injuries right before Mullen arrived (broken finger) and a major injury halfway through Mullen’s first year (broken foot).

Mullen has a track record of getting the absolute best out of every QB he has ever coached. The man had Nick Fitzgerald getting real Heisman buzz, NICK FITZGERALD! And what Mullen did with lowly-recruited Dak Prescott and Kyle Trask is legendary and astounding. He coached Tim Tebow to a Heisman and a guy who is always mentioned among the greatest college players to ever play the game.

But you aren’t impressed with how Mullen handles his QB’s because he didn’t start the guy who had never played a snap and was injury-prone sooner, in place of the guy who was 13-3... How about you just say “damn, he turned Franks from Jarret Guarantono to a solid, major bowl-winning QB, and then took his injury-prone, inexperienced, unknown backup to a Heisman finalist and 2nd round NFL pick. Both stories are amazing. Here’s more news; Emory Jones has received more coaching and development, mixed with real-life game reps than any QB Mullen has ever groomed. Many of you who are so certain Emory Jones is trash, also thought Franks and Trask were sorry. You’ll see.

If there’s a knock on Mullen it’s that he will be Florida’s Mark Richt. He’ll win but he won’t win championships. That’s somewhat unfair to Richt as well because Richt did win 2 SEC titles.

Regardless, that’s not going away until he gets some hardware.

But, to suggest that he doesn’t recruit well and isn’t a good coach (particularly with regard to qbs and the offense which is his deal) is a fallacy.

The only cutthroat recruiter Florida has ever had is Meyer. Maybe Zook, but he wasn’t as successful as a recruiter as Meyer.

Spurrier and his staff would reel in a great class every 3 years or so, but most of his classes were in the 7 or 8 range.

Reactions: Jaws

Mullen is a resurgent FSU or Miami away from working at a steakhouse.

f*** the gators and their fanbase, you guys think the miami gear you all put in storage will still fit?

I agree with all your points OP but UF still has a big coaching advantage and talent advantage at this point. So it's hard for me to call for the upset. Plus it's Florida, we have loss to them plenty of times even as the favorite. Haven't "upset" them as a double digit underdog since 01 and that line was beyond silly to begin with.

Your comments regarding Florida’s recruiting shows your own perception of how elite Florida is. You actually hold Florida to a higher standard than I do.
No. I am simply looking at the opportunity... an embarrassing wealth of instate talent with neither of the big instate competitors being in good shape and recognizing that UF should be recruiting like Bama. Every class should be loaded. You can try to evade that fact... but there it is.

You would not consider an 8-10th ranked classes to be “horrible” anywhere but Florida.
Not true. UGA's unique recruiting advantage should have them at an elite level every year. USC and UCLA should be killing it. IIRC, there are 40-50 4/5* players within a couple of hours of LA in most years. Texas should be up there every year and have been really awful at bringing in talent.

I hate UF. I respect Mullen... but am not a kool-aid drinking Jonestown cultist like you. He would have played Franks while his other Junior, Trask, remained unknown had the injury not occurred. I am not sure how you can be so blind as to not recognize that. Trask was steady and consistently good. Franks was a head case.... and believe me UT fans know how to recognize one after the last 4 years.

You said Leak was developed by Mullen. He wasn't. He was a senior when Meyer and Mullen arrived. Oddly, while playing "around" a guy who didn't truly fit the system... they had their best offensive year.

Franks was a basket case. They managed around his 189 ypg in '18 to a 10-3 record. He was a 56% passer against the conference for even less yardage. As an opposing fan, I always felt that Franks was one play away from giving the opponent the game. Felt exactly the opposite about Trask.
But you aren’t impressed with how Mullen handles his QB’s
I have plenty of respect for Mullen. I just don't idolize him like you do. He's not a god... he is not infallible. That injury saved his bacon.

Many of you who are so certain Emory Jones is trash, also thought Franks and Trask were sorry. You’ll see.
I haven't said Jones is trash. I don't think he's played enough for anyone to intelligently evaluate him.

Franks was... Trask was not.[/quote]

I graduated Huntland High in 82, High School only.

Lived in Elora.
I left Huntland in '83, after my freshman year and went to FC. I have 3 relatives (Prince's) that would have been in school with you at that time.
Small world. l left HS and went into the service and then ended up back in this area, after I swore I would never come back once I left (lol). I'm only 20 minutes outside Huntsville now and we really like it.

No. I am simply looking at the opportunity... an embarrassing wealth of instate talent with neither of the big instate competitors being in good shape and recognizing that UF should be recruiting like Bama. Every class should be loaded. You can try to evade that fact... but there it is.

Not true. UGA's unique recruiting advantage should have them at an elite level every year. USC and UCLA should be killing it. IIRC, there are 40-50 4/5* players within a couple of hours of LA in most years. Texas should be up there every year and have been really awful at bringing in talent.

I hate UF. I respect Mullen... but am not a kool-aid drinking Jonestown cultist like you. He would have played Franks while his other Junior, Trask, remained unknown had the injury not occurred. I am not sure how you can be so blind as to not recognize that. Trask was steady and consistently good. Franks was a head case.... and believe me UT fans know how to recognize one after the last 4 years.

You said Leak was developed by Mullen. He wasn't. He was a senior when Meyer and Mullen arrived. Oddly, while playing "around" a guy who didn't truly fit the system... they had their best offensive year.

Franks was a basket case. They managed around his 189 ypg in '18 to a 10-3 record. He was a 56% passer against the conference for even less yardage. As an opposing fan, I always felt that Franks was one play away from giving the opponent the game. Felt exactly the opposite about Trask.
I have plenty of respect for Mullen. I just don't idolize him like you do. He's not a god... he is not infallible. That injury saved his bacon.

I haven't said Jones is trash. I don't think he's played enough for anyone to intelligently evaluate him.

Franks was... Trask was not.
[/QUOTE]

Mullen recruits pretty good....but that's not good enough to beat the Bama's, Clemson's, and Ohio State's of the world. I absolutely agree that he should be getting higher ranked recruiting classes out of Florida, and when Miami and FL State are good again that will hurt the Gators even worse. Mullen will beat Kirby every 3 years or so (because Kirby is a crappy on the field coach) to allow them to go to the SEC title game and get squashed, but with the changes in the college football playoff they may earn a spot in it every 3 or 4 years if they are lucky.

I will tell you this, if Mullen can turn Emory Jones into a good passer then I will call him a QB guru. Jones is a runner, not a thrower. That will hurt Florida a lot this year.

Franks was... Trask was not.

Regarding recruiting, I’m not mortified by 8th to 10th. To me, that’s good enough to compete for championships. Would I love to see top 5, absolutely. But I’ll let guys like you wallow in your opinion of how unconscionable the #8 recruiting class in America is. It’s 3 spots from you and all the haters having to sthu about it. 😂

Regarding Mullen’s QB development portfolio, this is so easy for me. You’re not equipped with the facts and/or memory to win your “Mullen sucks with QB’s” assertion.

Let’s start with Chris Leak. Leak was so “developed” before Mullen arrived that the entire previous coaching staff all got fired. 😂. Leak was a good player on some very average Florida teams. Mullen and Meyer came in and DEVELOPED him into a national champion.

Feleipe Franks BEFORE Dan Mullen: completed 54% of his passes, threw 9 TD’s and 8 picks, rushed for all of ZERO TD’s and most telling, was 4-7 as a starter in a full season. Franks AFTER Dan Mullen: completed 62% of his passes, threw 29 TD’s and 9 picks, rushed for 8 TD’s, and was 13-3 as a starter. Yes, you read that right, Franks accounted for 9 total TD’s in the year before Mullen, then exploded for 37 total TD’s in a year and 3 games under Mullen. Astounding improvement, phenomenal turnaround. Because.of.Dan.Mullen!

Also, just to reemphasize what you ignored in your “Mullen’s an idiot because he picked Franks over Trask” silliness; Trask had two major injuries while at Florida. The first was before the 2017 season, Mac’s last year, the second was during the 2018 season (Mullen’s first year at UF). Did you want Mullen to put Trask out there with his foot in a cast replacing Franks, who as I pointed out, was starting to play much much better under Mullen? So take out the guy who threw 24 TD’s against 6 picks in 2018 and dominated Michigan in the Peach Bowl for a kid who at the time was literally in a cast and hadn’t started a football game since 9th grade. 😂

Then, here comes 2019, Franks goes down, in comes the oft-injured, inexperienced Trask, and lo and behold, he too is not only extremely ready to play, but turns out to play better than the guy he replaced. That ADDS to the Mullen story, it doesn’t detract from it. Only you, and similar haters, can attempt to turn the Franks/Trask double success story into a negative. What Mullen developed Trask into will probably, unfortunately for Gator fans, ultimately lead to an NFL team offering him a job. And of course, all NFL teams are in the business of offering jobs to crappy college coaches like Mullen. I guess when he goes to the NFL that’ll be spun as a negative too?

You’ve got to eventually swallow some of this Florida/Mullen hate, it’s only going to make the next few years even more difficult to deal with.

I’ll end with this prediction; if Mullen stays at UF another few years, you will see him develop another Heisman winning QB at UF. Of course, you’ll be here explaining how that doesn’t make him a good QB coach. 👍🏼

Do you understand what all florida lost? Their entire offense
But the coach is the same. That coach always seems to come up with an offense. From Utah to florida to msu to florida he seems to know what he is doing through many much player and school turnover.

Reactions: Jaws
I left Huntland in '83, after my freshman year and went to FC. I have 3 relatives (Prince's) that would have been in school with you at that time.
Small world. l left HS and went into the service and then ended up back in this area, after I swore I would never come back once I left (lol). I'm only 20 minutes outside Huntsville now and we really like it.

By chance Phillip, Pam and Carla?

Phillip was one of my best friends.

Carla is my brother's ex.

Ok, I typically like to pick a game, an upset game of the year. I’ve been zeroed in on Florida for 2/3 reasons.

1. Schedule plays HEAVILY into Tennessee’s favor here. Prior to this matchup TN plays a layup, TN Tech. Florida plays Alabama.

2. Did you know that teams have a losing record the following week after playing Alabama? Two main reasons (a) Alabama is physical, Very physical and they beat you up (b) the hype, people try to get up to play Alabama. In this case, UF thinks they can play with them. There will be the letdown effect of not only losing your first game but also not being able to beat a team you got up for. RIPE for an upset.

3. Personnel could also play a factor here. It depends how far along Heupel has his offense at this point. UF defense was historically bad last year and lost talent off that defense. Heupel vs Grantham, give me Heupel.

4. The TN schedule could not be set up more perfect for Heupel to take advantage. He couldn’t script it better. A couple games to warm up and work out the kinks. Then a competitive game where he will be favored to win. A close win here does more for confidence than a blowout win. Pitt can make you work for it, exactly what Heupel and this team will need to grow.

5. UF offense will be different. TN will not be playing the 2020 UF offense. They will be the 2018/19 offense or the MSU offenses under Mullen. Expect a lot of run heavy looks from FL. That does concern me a little as this part of the season is where injuries can start to rise. Defensive front 7 for TN might be ok for the first couple layers.

I’m almost ready to go ahead and call this one for the Vols, everything is aligned for the upset but with everything new, New QBs for both teams (theoritically), new coach. I want to see week one from both teams before I put my stamp on it.

UT could start out 4-0, should start out 3-0, but I’m telling ya, it’s SETUP for a 4-0 start and a win over the mighty Gators.

Same premise with Georgia and the Missouri game? They play the Tigers after Florida. Huge focus from Georgia on repaying the Gators for last years loss while Missouri plays Vanderbilt. You see that as well?

When you really break it down, Tennessee probably is better at more positions than Florida.
I would love to hear this.

Qb, nope.
Ol, nope.
Rb, maybe
WR, maybe
TE, nope

Dl, probably not.
LB, ugh maybe if all the transfer players play like the all conference players they werent at their last school.
CB, nope.
S, maybe.

I would love to hear this.

Qb, nope.
Ol, nope.
Rb, maybe
WR, maybe
TE, nope

Dl, probably not.
LB, ugh maybe if all the transfer players play like the all conference players they werent at their last school.
CB, nope.
S, maybe.

Florida’s deepest two positions are RB and LB. Those are definitely “nope’s.” At LB, UF returns multi-year starters Ventrell Miller, Mohamoud Diabate and Amari Burney, they also have some really good, highly-recruited young talent behind them in Derek Wingo and Tyron Hopper. At RB, they’ve got 3 dudes who have a big time SEC experience. Dameon Pierce has rushed for over 1200 yards in his career, Malik Davis has rushed for just under 1000 and Nayquan Wright had a very good year last year as a Freshman with 66 rushing attempts and 20 receptions out the backfield. Oh, and UF has two other 5-star RB’s on the roster.

Going into the season, this is the most lopsided roster I can ever recall between these two teams.

VN Store

Back