Did you know? (UF prediction)

secking

Ok, I typically like to pick a game, an upset game of the year. I’ve been zeroed in on Florida for 2/3 reasons.

1. Schedule plays HEAVILY into Tennessee’s favor here. Prior to this matchup TN plays a layup, TN Tech. Florida plays Alabama.

2. Did you know that teams have a losing record the following week after playing Alabama? Two main reasons (a) Alabama is physical, Very physical and they beat you up (b) the hype, people try to get up to play Alabama. In this case, UF thinks they can play with them. There will be the letdown effect of not only losing your first game but also not being able to beat a team you got up for. RIPE for an upset.

3. Personnel could also play a factor here. It depends how far along Heupel has his offense at this point. UF defense was historically bad last year and lost talent off that defense. Heupel vs Grantham, give me Heupel.

4. The TN schedule could not be set up more perfect for Heupel to take advantage. He couldn’t script it better. A couple games to warm up and work out the kinks. Then a competitive game where he will be favored to win. A close win here does more for confidence than a blowout win. Pitt can make you work for it, exactly what Heupel and this team will need to grow.

5. UF offense will be different. TN will not be playing the 2020 UF offense. They will be the 2018/19 offense or the MSU offenses under Mullen. Expect a lot of run heavy looks from FL. That does concern me a little as this part of the season is where injuries can start to rise. Defensive front 7 for TN might be ok for the first couple layers.

I’m almost ready to go ahead and call this one for the Vols, everything is aligned for the upset but with everything new, New QBs for both teams (theoritically), new coach. I want to see week one from both teams before I put my stamp on it.

UT could start out 4-0, should start out 3-0, but I’m telling ya, it’s SETUP for a 4-0 start and a win over the mighty Gators.

Ok, I typically like to pick a game, an upset game of the year. I’ve been zeroed in on Florida for 2/3 reasons.

1. Schedule plays HEAVILY into Tennessee’s favor here. Prior to this matchup TN plays a layup, TN Tech. Florida plays Alabama.

2. Did you know that teams have a losing record the following week after playing Alabama? Two main reasons (a) Alabama is physical, Very physical and they beat you up (b) the hype, people try to get up to play Alabama. In this case, UF thinks they can play with them. There will be the letdown effect of not only losing your first game but also not being able to beat a team you got up for. RIPE for an upset.

3. Personnel could also play a factor here. It depends how far along Heupel has his offense at this point. UF defense was historically bad last year and lost talent off that defense. Heupel vs Grantham, give me Heupel.

4. The TN schedule could not be set up more perfect for Heupel to take advantage. He couldn’t script it better. A couple games to warm up and work out the kinks. Then a competitive game where he will be favored to win. A close win here does more for confidence than a blowout win. Pitt can make you work for it, exactly what Heupel and this team will need to grow.

5. UF offense will be different. TN will not be playing the 2020 UF offense. They will be the 2018/19 offense or the MSU offenses under Mullen. Expect a lot of run heavy looks from FL. That does concern me a little as this part of the season is where injuries can start to rise. Defensive front 7 for TN might be ok for the first couple layers.

I’m almost ready to go ahead and call this one for the Vols, everything is aligned for the upset but with everything new, New QBs for both teams (theoritically), new coach. I want to see week one from both teams before I put my stamp on it.

UT could start out 4-0, should start out 3-0, but I’m telling ya, it’s SETUP for a 4-0 start and a win over the mighty Gators.
Not even a TN fan and you have drank more Kool-Aid than me, or at least yours is spiked stronger than mine. lol
Hope you're right though
Go Vols!

Um, wow, well, I, can't, no not yet, I just cannot let myself hope this far in advance.
Let's first see who our starting QB is and then how well fall practice is going and then we can start claiming upset victories over our foes.

Reactions: HalfullVol

Yep, plus Florida's roster isn't that much better than ours. Even if they beat the tea-bagging, tree-killing Gumps, which is highly unlikely, it still sets up well.

No, UF will lose to Bama and with UGA coming up later they know they cannot afford to lose another SEC game. They will have a sense of urgency to win. TN would be better off if UF beat Bama. Hope your right but don't see it. TN's record in the swamp is abysmal at best.

Reactions: vettefool
Tennessee does not have the depth, talent, experience or defense to play with Florida in the swamp, Gators by 3 tds...I hate saying every bit of that but there is nothing that can change the reality of the status of the Vols atm
They didn't even beat us by 3tds last year with our sorry team. Youre just throwing crap out and hoping it sticks huh?

Yep, plus Florida's roster isn't that much better than ours. Even if they beat the tea-bagging, tree-killing Gumps, which is highly unlikely, it still sets up well.

When you really break it down, Tennessee probably is better at more positions than Florida.

Thanks Rusty.

anything can happen, just look at 1984

I might buy into this is we were at Neyland. But we aren’t. We’ve beaten them once in the Swamp in the last 20 years??? Last time 2001?

Try 2003…Thanks to a noon kickoff The Swamp felt like a giant easy bake oven that day.

Ron Zook mismanaged the clock beautifully, resulting in that Hail Mary TD as the first half expired.

I will believe that UT can beat Florida when they beat Florida.

Until then, I will always anticipate some miraculous Hail Mary, a missed field goal, a phantom touchdown catch, or a timely pick six to go against the Vols. Florida will have some QB that no one has ever heard of that UT will make into a sudden Heisman contender, throwing for 450 yards and 5 TD's. UT will have a stupid 12 men in the huddle penalty trying to burn the clock that forces them to punt to some 5'2" 4.2 forty burner that runs it back for the game winning TD.

I can go on, and on. This story is much too predictable.

...also, I will hear the word "Tebow" at least 4 times during the telecast.

Last edited:
There was a schedule thread sometime back where I referenced this game, but could never actually bring myself to actually write the words, Feels weird enough just thinking about it. I honestly think we gotta real shot here. Obviously we need to have a lot of bounces go our way.

*PSA*. Anyone that posts in this thread that WE need to focus on Bowling Green before we worry about UF needs to be banned .

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
They didn't even beat us by 3tds last year with our sorry team. Youre just throwing crap out and hoping it sticks huh?
Florida was up 31-7 with a little over 11 minutes left in the game last year until, the Vols got two garbage-time TDs, and this game was at home. Now the Vols go to the Swamp with even less talent, depth and experience and you think they will perform better?

Florida was up 31-7 with a little over 11 minutes left in the game last year until, the Vols got two garbage-time TDs, and this game was at home. Now the Vols go to the Swamp with even less talent, depth and experience and you think they will perform better?
Less experience? Without any doubt whatsoever. Less talent and depth? We don't quite know that yet in part because we all have somewhat different ideas about how much of last year's woes were coaching and how much were players.

I won't predict an upset. UF has better players. But if Heupel does a better job of coaching up his players and getting them to play as a single unit rather than a bunch of cliques... and he gets better QB play than we've seen for the last 4 years... UT should at least look credible. Over the last 4 years, teams with less talent than UT have repeatedly put up a better fight against UF than UT has. Getting a team to be a team is a talent multiplier.

VN Store

Back