Did we recruit Rhyne Howard?

Yes I forgot about Dorie. Is she still KY?
She didn't play this year, but she's still on the team. Either she took the year off for personal reasons or injuries...can't remember which. She was UK's only true post on the team, so the fact that they finished 4th in the SEC is pretty impressive.

These high school rankings really don’t mean much.
In the grand scheme of things, I agree. But it's safe to say that if a player is a top 10 recruit and playing for a major program, they will more likely than not be a pretty good college player. Where the "rankings don't mean much" argument has more merit IMO is with lower ranked players that are overlooked, but do great in college...like a Rhyne Howard or Nina Davis. Tennessee under Holly has fared not succeeded with either scenario. The highly ranked HS players like Nared, Russell, Graves end up being serviceable but not great, and none of the lower ranked players like Jackson, Dunbar, Harris exceed their ranking either.

As bad as we need a PG how did Levy get away?

I wouldn't say that one got away, she's OK and has potential, but she wasn't exactly lighting it up even before her injury. Just 4.8 ppg, 1.4 RPG and 68 TOs to 58 Assists. She shoots a nice percentage from the floor, but is abysmal from 3. She plays out of control, she's emotionally all over the place during the game (much like Cunningham). She makes irrational decisions with the ball and has a negative A/T ratio on the season. She is quick, but I would not call her an elite level guard on poor decision making alone.

That being said, we may be begging for those kind of recruits in the next 2-3 years if the university continues to roll with Holly and the program slides even further.

I haven't been terrifically impressed with Massengill but on paper she's a better player than Levy this year. Rebounds the ball better, scores about the same, and has a positive A/T ratio.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that one got away, she's OK and has potential, but she wasn't exactly lighting it up even before her injury. Just 4.8 ppg, 1.4 RPG and 68 TOs to 58 Assists. She shoots a nice percentage from the floor, but is abysmal from 3. She plays out of control, she's emotionally all over the place during the game (much like Cunningham). She makes irrational decisions with the ball and has a negative A/T ratio on the season. She is quick, but I would not call her an elite level guard on poor decision making alone.

That being said, we may be begging for those kind of recruits in the next 2-3 years if the university continues to roll with Holly and the program slides even further.

I haven't been terrifically impressed with Massengill but on paper she's a better player than Levy this year. Rebounds the ball better, scores about the same, and has a positive A/T ratio.
So by her stats and the way you described how she plays that she would have fit right in nicely 🤣

Doesn't really matter as long as Holly is the coach. Any "good" kid that comes to Tenn. will eventually become mediocre like all the others; nobody available to develop them. They're better off going to a team with staff that will grow their potential, not stagnate it.

This X's 1,000,000,000 Why can't the ones that are paying her over SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS A YEAR see this?

Reactions: cutiepie5
A five star recruit's offer list is often more telling by who isn't on it rather than by who is. I distinctly remember Warlick touting Mercedes Russell as a 6' 7" player who could handle the ball like a guard, bring the ball upcourt and shoot the three. As a previous player pointed out she turned into only a serviceable player and never performed as one would expect of the nation's number one recruit, i.e. she was never dominant by any stretch of the imagination. BTW, every player on the current team can "shoot" the three. They just can't make them on a consistent basis.

No need to recruit the Tennessee kids they are not good enough to be a Lady Vol just let them go somewhere else cause they will never beat us!
[I''m just saying] but there are impactful players [freshmen & sophomores] on Kentucky, Georgia Tech & Missouri...all from the state of Tennessee...

I was at the Best of Preps last year and they started naming off all her accomplishments and I was thinking to myself, “Why did we not go after this girl?” It’s not a coincidence Kentucky is much improved. She’s a great talent and they probably will have a conference championship before her college career is over.
Wow good call on this one.

I was at the Best of Preps last year and they started naming off all her accomplishments and I was thinking to myself, “Why did we not go after this girl?” It’s not a coincidence Kentucky is much improved. She’s a great talent and they probably will have a conference championship before her college career is over.

You said it.

No need to recruit the Tennessee kids they are not good enough to be a Lady Vol just let them go somewhere else cause they will never beat us!
I feel this
We have several right now in TN that they are not recruiting and should be right in their back yard kinda thing.
WHY?????

Who in Tennessee are we not recruiting but should be?
I'd like to know too and get tired of reading this conversation when players from the state do well. Kellie shouldn't get the blame for Howard being at Kentucky nor should she be blamed for other players coming out of the State that chose to go elsewhere before she arrived. There are also players who she went after from the state when she arrived that chose to go elsewhere (Madison Hayes twice) yet she is blamed for it. She can't force these kids to come.

She didn't play this year, but she's still on the team. Either she took the year off for personal reasons or injuries...can't remember which. She was UK's only true post on the team, so the fact that they finished 4th in the SEC is pretty impressive.

Dorie Harrison played at UK her freshman year, sat out the next year due to health issues, played 6 games the next year and then was injured. Then she transferred to Lipscomb, and this is her second year there, but she's missed good chunks of both seasons for health issues. Technically, she's a RS Sr.

I don't think so. Looks like she wasn't interested and we didn't really have an opening at her position. She plays the 3/4 and we already had Rennia and then Zaay and Mimi Collins. She's obviously extremely good, but I think Kentucky was a better fit for her and has obviously been a good decision for her.

Just watching her game she would have been a poor fit for Holly anyway. She shoots the three too well.
I tink we flat out missed on her. She is likely the best player in the Nation this year. We may have been undefeated this year if she was a VOL.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I tink we flat out missed on her. She is likely the best player in the Nation this year. We may have been undefeated this year if she was a VOL.

Watched her in the state tournament. She was very passive and played 30 feet away from the goal and I didn’t see her get a rebound ? She was ranked. 35 ish ??? Coach Mitchell got the ball player out of her that we see today ! She has become who she is due to her own efforts and good coaching! JMO

VN Store

Back