Did we recruit Rhyne Howard?

Even recruit Rhyne Howard. Bradley Central product.

I don't think so. Looks like she wasn't interested and we didn't really have an opening at her position. She plays the 3/4 and we already had Rennia and then Zaay and Mimi Collins. She's obviously extremely good, but I think Kentucky was a better fit for her and has obviously been a good decision for her.

Just watching her game she would have been a poor fit for Holly anyway. She shoots the three too well.

No need to recruit the Tennessee kids they are not good enough to be a Lady Vol just let them go somewhere else cause they will never beat us!

Both Elizabeth Balogun and Elizabeth Dixon made the ACC all freshman team.

Reactions: feathersax
They didn't recruit her until very late in the cycle. By then, it was too late. And yes, she made the right decision as anyone can see with the disaster that is now apparent with the Holly Vols.

Reactions: OldNSlow
I was at the Best of Preps last year and they started naming off all her accomplishments and I was thinking to myself, “Why did we not go after this girl?” It’s not a coincidence Kentucky is much improved. She’s a great talent and they probably will have a conference championship before her college career is over.

I was at the Best of Preps last year and they started naming off all her accomplishments and I was thinking to myself, “Why did we not go after this girl?” It’s not a coincidence Kentucky is much improved. She’s a great talent and they probably will have a conference championship before her college career is over.
Way to Holly, you incompetent ........

Reactions: feathersax
Though late to the party, home-state Tennessee eventually came calling, too...She said no to the Lady Vols because “they were the last to recruit me, so I just didn’t feel like we had as good a connection.”
Has Matthew Mitchell found the player who will revitalize UK women’s basketball?
Unbelievable that she was not a McD AA but Jazmine Massengill was. Having watched both play their freshman year, it's clear that Rhyne is on a completely different level. Massengill has not shown she is a P5 talent yet, and Rhyne made first team All SEC as a freshman. Having Holly as a coach probably didn't help, but in this case, I think the selection committee just got it wrong. Like, really really really wrong.

How could Tennessee let a local kid as good as Howard get away?

Unbelievable that she was not a McD AA but Jazmine Massengill was. Having watched both play their freshman year, it's clear that Rhyne is on a completely different level. Massengill has not shown she is a P5 talent yet, and Rhyne made first team All SEC as a freshman. Having Holly as a coach probably didn't help, but in this case, I think the selection committee just got it wrong. Like, really really really wrong.

Doesn't really matter as long as Holly is the coach. Any "good" kid that comes to Tenn. will eventually become mediocre like all the others; nobody available to develop them. They're better off going to a team with staff that will grow their potential, not stagnate it.

I don't think so. Looks like she wasn't interested and we didn't really have an opening at her position. She plays the 3/4 and we already had Rennia and then Zaay and Mimi Collins. She's obviously extremely good, but I think Kentucky was a better fit for her and has obviously been a good decision for her.

Just watching her game she would have been a poor fit for Holly anyway. She shoots the three too well.
Yep, Holly learned that disdain for the three from Coach Summitt .

I heard Holly respond to this very question when we played Ky earlier. She said that she was told early on the Howard had no interest in being a LV!

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I heard Holly respond to this very question when we played Ky earlier. She said that she was told early on the Howard had no interest in being a LV!

This doesn't contradict what Rhyne said, except the "early on" part. It seems that she wasn't interested in talking with Tennessee since they started showing interest in her well after a number of other schools contacted her. But seriously...did they scout these freshmen early? What did they see in Howard that made them decide she wasn't Tennessee material during early stages of her recruitment?

This doesn't contradict what Rhyne said, except the "early on" part. It seems that she wasn't interested in talking with Tennessee since they started showing interest in her well after a number of other schools contacted her. But seriously...did they scout these freshmen early? What did they see in Howard that made them decide she wasn't Tennessee material during early stages of her recruitment?
Good question and I have no idea of the answer. Seems we rather take the out of state player rather than the ones in our state. Of course Meme and Alexa were home grown. I just don't see the development of players once they get to us but we go through ast. coaches and nothing seems to change. I don't know that Holly is the only problem but usually the head coach pays the price. Even the McKinney sp? at Ky now was local.

Simply because she hasn’t shown it under Holly means absolutely nothing

Good question and I have no idea of the answer. Seems we rather take the out of state player rather than the ones in our state. Of course Meme and Alexa were home grown. I just don't see the development of players once they get to us but we go through ast. coaches and nothing seems to change. I don't know that Holly is the only problem but usually the head coach pays the price. Even the McKinney sp? at Ky now was local.

If I recall correctly, there were a lot of Tennessee players in this last class. Tennessee was going after Massengill and the two girls who went to GA Tech (Balogun, Dixon). Alexander and Cambridge went to Vandy, and Howard went to UK (along with McKinney and Dorie Harrison...two players that one of the "insider" posters said that Tennessee would be "settling" if they offered scholarships to them).

Simply because she hasn’t shown it under Holly means absolutely nothing
With Rennia and Evina, you see the talent is there, as misused by Holly as it is. Jazmine can't shoot, doesn't show any sense of floor vision, and not a good man-to-man defender. She looks like a major project, whereas other freshmen guards who were not as highly rated as her have been immediate impact players.

These high school rankings really don’t mean much.

Reactions: Rixxx and PG1
Karmilla Cardosa is another player that is gonna play somewhere else it looks like. Instate players like this are ones we never get.

If I recall correctly, there were a lot of Tennessee players in this last class. Tennessee was going after Massengill and the two girls who went to GA Tech (Balogun, Dixon). Alexander and Cambridge went to Vandy, and Howard went to UK (along with McKinney and Dorie Harrison...two players that one of the "insider" posters said that Tennessee would be "settling" if they offered scholarships to them).
Yes I forgot about Dorie. Is she still KY?

VN Store

Back