Did UT interview or consider Kara Lawson before hiring KJH.

Omg why this topic. During that hiring I read a lot of Comments that said Lawson never coach a single team and doesn't have any experience, so why bringing this conversation up again. I lov me Kellie and soon she will recruit top 5...Then u see those fans change their comments.

Last edited:
I think Kara (Who I am a big fan of) Made a lame decision to cancel their Season. The fact that She bough in to the Fear Mongering suggests that She didn't think for Herself; and that She is way to cautious with Decision making. There would have been nothing wrong with a REVERSAL once other Conferences began to backtrack on shutting down; reflecting the ability to adjust on the fly.

Kelli,Kelly,etc Ive heard it all lol whats next y'all gonna refer to coach as her 2 year old daughters name Kiley

Neile got interviewed at the Final Four... Both her and Kellie. It was being reported by different media sources, Wes turned down the interview because he wanted to stay at NC State.

She wasn't interviewed. Fulmer talked to her to gauge interest but there wasn't an interview, similar to reasons that Wes gave. She was my choice to get the job so I definitely know she wasn't because I was disappointed at the time. Also, not sure what you mean by "different media sources" because I can't find a single source saying so.

She wasn't interviewed. Fulmer talked to her to gauge interest but there wasn't an interview, similar to reasons that Wes gave. She was my choice to get the job so I definitely know she wasn't because I was disappointed at the time. Also, not sure what you mean by "different media sources" because I can't find a single source saying so.

I am pretty sure she got talked to about the job and interviewed at the final 4 from what was reported. Can you find where she didn’t interview or turned it down? I just can’t remember for sure...

That’s what i meant by different media sources different people following women’s basketball and produce articles on basketball and women’s basketball it wasn’t just people saying it...

Nikki McCray should have been hired

Many Mississippi State fans believe McCray is destroying their basketball program. They want her fired immediately.

From Mississippi State Forum:

What a crock of crap! I couldn't care any less about her social media posts or political views than I do right now. The fact is, she is a terrible coach. She inherited a gold mine situation and has proceeded to turned it into crap. She has the Joe Moorhead syndrome where she wants to be buddies with the players instead of being their coach. She is weak from a strategic and schematic standpoint. She obviously isn't a motivator. Her team is poorly prepared to play game in and game out.

Last edited:
Wes passed down an interview and Nielle Ivey wasn't interested, probably because she knew that Muffet wasn't going to coach much longer.

At least AFAIK.

I wonder why Wes turned it down since he was pretty clearly the best coach in the group we were looking at?

He was my pick from the start. But I am pretty happy with Harper if she can keep us heading in the right direction. I would certainly be happier to see her succeed than someone with no strong ties to the program.

I am pretty sure she got talked to about the job and interviewed at the final 4 from what was reported. Can you find where she didn’t interview or turned it down? I just can’t remember for sure...

Again, she wasn't interviewed because she expressed she wasn't interested. Fulmer spoke with her at the FF to gauge interest, but that's it. I remember it because, again, she was my choice for the position.

I wonder why Wes turned it down since he was pretty clearly the best coach in the group we were looking at?

He was my pick from the start. But I am pretty happy with Harper if she can keep us heading in the right direction. I would certainly be happier to see her succeed than someone with no strong ties to the program.

He wants to retire at NCST. He is 63 years old.

Kay Yow made him an assistant years ago which gave him a foot in big time women's basketball and her sister made him a head coach there and he has done well there. I am sure he feels strongly committed there and would like to retire there.
I am not sure how he would have been received here.

Kentucky men had their season ended by Mississippi State :):):)

A tournament without Duke and Kentucky...

Ice-Cube-Today-Was-a-Good-Day.gif

From someone looking from the outside in from another state, a change in coaching was suspected particularly when we dropped out of the top 25 for the first time in decades, but who do you go after to replace "The Legend" of the game. Replacing a legend hardly ever goes well, more often than not much to the demise of the person coming in. Coach Warlick did far better than most, but the program began to slide and fall into disarray. It was an impossible situation for her and the staff, knowing something is wrong with Pat, managing and protecting Pat from the outside, maintaining her stature in front of the world, taking over for Pat, coaching the team, dealing with recruits who wanted to play for Pat, and so much more. If you have never been a care taker for someone who has alzheimer I don't think one can understand what she was dealing with, but something had to fall. It was the performance of the team and health of the program. So who do you hire?????? Few fans wanted somebody outside the program, so who? Coach Wes was a front runner early on, but that probably was not going to happen. Of all the former Lady Vols to be considered for the job only Nikki F, Kelly, Kara, Nikki M, and Elzy, kept coming up as far as players who played for Pat and were currently coaching at the time. Of this list only Kelly and Nikki Fargas had significant head coaching experience. So based on experience alone, Kara does not get the job over Kelly or Nikki Fargas. Could there have been a better hire, let the debate and discussions begin. All things being considered at that time, the hiring of Kelly Jolly-Harper solved a lot of the problems facing the program at the time. Hiring KJH was a greater hire, and so far it's paying dividends. We love all these Lady Vols, and who knows what the future will bring as far as coaching at UT, but lets be grateful that the Pat's Legacy is in full bloom and bearing fruit.

VN Store

Back