Did UT interview or consider Kara Lawson before hiring KJH.

Vfl2407

If I remember correctly, Phil Fulmer and Kara served on some UT committees together?
I just found it odd that Duke offered her their job and we didn’t.
Also, did Kara get any negative reaction for canceling Dukes season because of Covid19?

in advance, thanks for your responses.
Go Lady Vols! Let’s shock some people in the NCAA tournament.

If I remember correctly, Phil Fulmer and Kara served on some UT committees together?
Also, did Kara get any negative reaction for canceling Dukes season because of Covid19?

Yes, Fulmer gave Kara Lawson an extensive interview. It was between her and Kelly Harper...the only difference was that Harper had several years of successful head coaching experience with three different schools. Lawson will be successful at anything she attempts too.

At the time I though Lawson was the better hire, but I was immediately impressed by Harper's opening press conference.
She said the exact things I wanted to hear.

It seems clear to me at this point that she can coach. The question I have is: can she recruit?
The answer may be yes. It seems like Tennessee should recruit itself, but I don't follow recruiting at all, so I have no clue.

As for Kara, I think she'll do a great job at Duke. But I wonder if it were her decision to shut down basketball? Maybe it was, since the men didn't. But I'd imagine you have to move mountains to get Duke to shut down their men's basketball for a year.

I believe she made a statement early in the process that she did not want to be considered because she was happy with her position on the Board of Trustees. I don’t think she liked the idea of trying to follow in Pat’s footsteps. Kellie was a better fit being a Tennessee gal through and through IMO.

Yes, Fulmer gave Kara Lawson an extensive interview. It was between her and Kelly Harper...the only difference was that Harper had several years of successful head coaching experience with three different schools. Lawson will be successful at anything she attempts too.

Where did you hear this? I could swear she had posted a statement that she did not want to be interviewed

I remember seeing that CPF interviewed 4 candidates Kara, KJH, Wes Moore, and the coach at Rice. I think at the time Kara had almost zero experience so I dont know how he could have hired her. I don't think she's received much criticism for cancelling Dukes season although I still don't know why they did when the rest of the ACC is still playing

I remember seeing that CPF interviewed 4 candidates Kara, KJH, Wes Moore, and the coach at Rice. I think at the time Kara had almost zero experience so I dont know how he could have hired her. I don't think she's received much criticism for cancelling Dukes season although I still don't know why they did when the rest of the ACC is still playing

I think Wes Moore declined the interview right? Also didn’t Kara say she didn’t want the job but was on the hiring committee?

Also, Neil Ivey was interviewed i am pretty sure

I believe she made a statement early in the process that she did not want to be considered because she was happy with her position on the Board of Trustees. I don’t think she liked the idea of trying to follow in Pat’s footsteps. Kellie was a better fit being a Tennessee gal through and through IMO.
And she had said repeatedly she did not have any interest in the job! She was only interested in Duke and she made it clear. They allowed her to continue as a trustee ( which i think she should have resigned from). Dont want Dukies running out university but she will cycle off in a few years and i am sure she must have needed the money! NOT!

Wes passed down an interview and Nielle Ivey wasn't interested, probably because she knew that Muffet wasn't going to coach much longer.

At least AFAIK.

Neile got interviewed at the Final Four... Both her and Kellie. It was being reported by different media sources, Wes turned down the interview because he wanted to stay at NC State.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
At the time I though Lawson was the better hire, but I was immediately impressed by Harper's opening press conference.
She said the exact things I wanted to hear.

It seems clear to me at this point that she can coach. The question I have is: can she recruit?
The answer may be yes. It seems like Tennessee should recruit itself, but I don't follow recruiting at all, so I have no clue.

As for Kara, I think she'll do a great job at Duke. But I wonder if it were her decision to shut down basketball? Maybe it was, since the men didn't. But I'd imagine you have to move mountains to get Duke to shut down their men's basketball for a year.

Duke is an ultra pc correct school. Kara probably had to go along to get along with canceling their season. It was more than likely bigger than she was.

Totally agree, Spook1. She did an excellent job on ESPN from day one and Duke is lucky to get her. We don’t know the situation she walked into but we can be sure she has a game plan in place to start next season in “ready“ mode. KJH is where she’s supposed to be. Head Coach of the Lady Vols.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

giphy (50).gif

I hope this is the place where Kellie really hits her stride, but I'm bothered by this characterization of her previous results. Her "successful" years look an awful lot like the ones that got Holly fired. If the results are no better than what she had in the past, she won't last long.

VN Store

Back