Did Grant get released from Celtics or just not getting to play?

OrangeBeachVol

Watched several of their games lately and never seen him in the game. If something was posted about it I missed it.

He's playing, just not a lot of minutes.

8 minutes today with an empty stat line besides 2 fouls.

Bummer. I think his size was always going to make the NBA an uphill battle for him but hopefully they will stick with him. He is a solid player but if you don't score you don't stay of the roster long in the NBA..

He’s a 21 year old rookie on a deep team. Let’s not kick him out of the league yet.

His stat line was empty today, but he had several nice defensive possessions. He’s not being asked to score - just play good defense, set screens, and box out. He’s primarily been shooting 3’s when he does shoot. It seems like he goes to the opposite corner from where Tatum is and then might come up top to set a screen.

Brad Stevens picks and chooses which of his post guys get minutes behind Theiss based on the matchup. For instance, Robert Williams got 19 minutes today, which nearly doubled his playoff minutes.

He played pretty good minutes this year for a rookie on a contender. The last Celtics game I watched he struggled a lot (Al Horford really bullied him) which may help to explain the lack of minutes today but he’s been solid

You guys are overreacting. He is on one of the best teams in the NBA right now as a 21-year old rookie in the midst of a playoff run. Most rookies aren't playing deep minutes right now. Romeo Langford was a lottery pick and he's getting less minutes than Grant.

Grant has actually played pretty well in the playoffs in the limited minutes he got. There was a game I saw he had a pretty solid stat line with like 1-1 from 3, 8 points, 2 rebounds, 1 block, 1 assist, etc.

He just needs time and minutes and rookies aren't going to get that in the playoffs unless you're a Zion talent or Ja Morant.

He’s a 21 year old rookie on a deep team. Let’s not kick him out of the league yet.

His stat line was empty today, but he had several nice defensive possessions. He’s not being asked to score - just play good defense, set screens, and box out. He’s primarily been shooting 3’s when he does shoot. It seems like he goes to the opposite corner from where Tatum is and then might come up top to set a screen.

Brad Stevens picks and chooses which of his post guys get minutes behind Theiss based on the matchup. For instance, Robert Williams got 19 minutes today, which nearly doubled his playoff minutes.

Exactly. Grant doesn't have an incredibly high ceiling, but he'll get minutes in the League. Minutes just shrink in the playoffs.

He'll be fine if he keeps working on his shooting, size, length, and speed this off season.

His perimeter shooting has already exponentially improved in his first year in the league. Knowing Grant’s work ethic, it will only get better.

Grant is unlikely to be a perennial all-star (although I‘ll never rule him out) and his future is probably a career role-player, which is perfectly fine considering the vast majority of people in the NBA are career role players.

If he just works hard he’ll be a guy who can make a ton of money, bounce around from contract to contract, and maybe even win a championship or two.

Watched several of their games lately and never seen him in the game. If something was posted about it I missed it.
Against the 76ers he’s played 2/21/11/6 minutes. The NBA is all about matchups. Toronto has some big men so he might not get too much action this series as he only logged 8 minutes. It just depends on which lineups Stevens can exploit against whatever team they’re playing. If he continues to develop his outside shooting he’ll be just fine and surpass Ojeleye for those extra minutes. He’s made some rookie mistakes this year from time to time but also had some very solid games as a contributing role player. His hustle and work ethic alongside a more developed long range shot will notch him a role with some team down the road if not in Boston.

Grant is doing a fine job as a role player. He is giving his team good minutes and understands his role on the team. He isn't filling the stat sheet, but he isn't being asked to. The Celtics have really good offensive talents in Jayson Tatum, Marcus Smart, Kemba Walker, Gordon Hayward and Jaylen Brown. They have plenty of fire power. When he is on the floor, the focal point is to getting the ball to one of those guys. He is the 4th/5th offensive option every time on the floor. At this point, he is being trusted simply to come in, play good defense, be selfless, and don't mess things up. He has a positive +/- stats which basically points to him having a positive impact. His a player coaches love to have because they are selfless and simply focused on doing whatever they can to help the team win.

He isn't going to fill the stat sheet, but the longer he stays in the league the bigger his role will expand. He may only be a role player for the Celtics, but if he was on one of these trash teams, I'm certain he would be one of the top rookies in league simply based off of stat line.

You guys are overreacting. He is on one of the best teams in the NBA right now as a 21-year old rookie in the midst of a playoff run. Most rookies aren't playing deep minutes right now. Romeo Langford was a lottery pick and he's getting less minutes than Grant.

Grant has actually played pretty well in the playoffs in the limited minutes he got. There was a game I saw he had a pretty solid stat line with like 1-1 from 3, 8 points, 2 rebounds, 1 block, 1 assist, etc.

He just needs time and minutes and rookies aren't going to get that in the playoffs unless you're a Zion talent or Ja Morant.
Ja plays for the grizzlies. Zion plays for the pelicans. Neither team is in the playoffs...

Ja plays for the grizzlies. Zion plays for the pelicans. Neither team is in the playoffs...

That’s not the point of the post. Not sure how you missed it. The point is pretty clear, unless you are a super-star talent as a rookie you aren’t getting big minutes in the post-season.

Also, Ja was in the play-in game so in my eyes, he was in the playoffs.

Don't worry about Grant not getting that many minutes in the playoffs. Starters play a lot more minutes in the playoffs, it's not big deal. I think he'll work his way into the lineup later in his career. Still needs to keep working on his 3 point shot, playmaking, etc.

Bummer. I think his size was always going to make the NBA an uphill battle for him but hopefully they will stick with him. He is a solid player but if you don't score you don't stay of the roster long in the NBA..

he plays on the Celtics. They have a lot of offensive firepower. His job is not to score on that team.

With the way the NBA game is now, especially with coaches that like to switch everything on the defensive end, a player like Grant that is strong enough to defend bigger players in the post but quick enough to stay with guys on the perimeter has a chance at a long career. He needs to continue to improve his shot and find ways to contribute on the offensive end. He will never be a star but could have a long career in the right place.

Grant got some minutes there at the end of the half. Had a nice dunk in transition. Still rocking the UT shoes. I noticed in this game he's basically playing as a stretch big. He's in the corner a lot.

Grant played 18 mins. tonight in the Celtics win. 2 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, no turnovers and 4 fouls for a +4 night. Looks like he filled his role tonight, perfectly, since the Celtics are now up on the Raptors, 2-0

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan

VN Store

Back