Dez Bryant-like Suspension for Pearl?

For those in Memphis, I believe that Pearl is going to be on Parrish's show this afternoon sometime between 4-6 pm. Not sure if they will really broach the subject, but given the discussion yesterday, it might come up.

Wow, did not know this. I listen to GP every afternoon but havent been able to this week.

Also, its worth noting the GP attended a media forum with the President of NCAA investigations Paul Emmert on Tuesday. Im sure hes got some loaded questions for Pearl. He also wrote a column about all coaches and players that are caught cheating should be sanctioned heavily.

Ill post a recap. For those interested in what he is saying you can listen live online at espn929.com and click on the "listen live" tab at the top.

Wow, did not know this. I listen to GP every afternoon but havent been able to this week.

Also, its worth noting the GP attended a media forum with the President of NCAA investigations Paul Emmert on Tuesday. Im sure hes got some loaded questions for Pearl. He also wrote a column about all coaches and players that are caught cheating should be sanctioned heavily.

Ill post a recap. For those interested in what he is saying you can listen live online at espn929.com and click on the "listen live" tab at the top.

:) Keep up homie...we have already discussed GP and Emmert's dinner..haha...recap the Pearl interview if you can...I am sure it will be about Pitt and Oakland though..

:) Keep up homie...we have already discussed GP and Emmert's dinner..haha...recap the Pearl interview if you can...I am sure it will be about Pitt and Oakland though..

Gery will definitely throw out a couple of interesting questions that i think he'll be dumb enough to answer. im not calling him stupid, Ive just never seen him keep his mouth shut. Im guessing he'll be on around 5 here and 6 local time in Knox Vegas

Hat, do you think these are the guys Hamilton/the next AD would have in mind, or are they just your personal favorites?

Hat, do you think these are the guys Hamilton/the next AD would have in mind, or are they just your personal favorites?
Marshall was probably the next choice after Pearl last time and was interviewed when we hired Peterson. I'd be surprised if he didn't get a call if UT has an opening

Marshall was probably the next choice after Pearl last time and was interviewed when we hired Peterson. I'd be surprised if he didn't get a call if UT has an opening
Just curious, why do you think he's that great of a coach? Is what he's doing at Wichita State that impressive. His record their looks all right, but not special. One thing I have to give Pearl is that even in his worst year so far at Tennessee, UT still went like 21-13. It seems like other, even more successful coaches, have had more bad years.

Just curious, why do you think he's that great of a coach? Is what he's doing at Wichita State that impressive. His record their looks all right, but not special. One thing I have to give Pearl is that even in his worst year so far at Tennessee, UT still went like 21-13. It seems like other, even more successful coaches, have had more bad years.
Check out what Winthrop was before Marshall got there and what they've become since he left. Also, Turgeon didn't leave things stocked at Wichita and the best player he left transferred out. Check where the Shockers are at the end of the season.

Bruce didnt phone in like he said he would. However, this might be a blessing.

How long did it take Bob Huggins to start getting elite players at Kansas State? How long did it take Mike Rice to get a Top 10 class to Rutgers? It's not near as hard as people would like to pretend.

I'm just saying the road works both ways; I'm not arguing for or against pearl or any of the suggested guys

But as easy as it is to just claim "it's UT, just give us a coach and he'll do well," it's also just as easy to hire a struggler...it's never just one side if the process isn't deliberated

Something someone told me about the NFL once, that it's just as easy to hire a guy who turns out to be a Rod Marinelli as it is to hire a guy who turns out to be a Bellicheck (well, let's go Dungy, but still)

Yeah GP is not too happy that BP isn't answering the phone right now.

But after that rant about how "he'd be surprised if the NCAA doesn't drop the hammer" and "the NCAA believes that he should be fired", I'm not so sure that's a coincidence.

I'm just saying the road works both ways; I'm not arguing for or against pearl or any of the suggested guys

But as easy as it is to just claim "it's UT, just give us a coach and he'll do well," it's also just as easy to hire a struggler...it's never just one side if the process isn't deliberated

Something someone told me about the NFL once, that it's just as easy to hire a guy who turns out to be a Rod Marinelli as it is to hire a guy who turns out to be a Bellicheck (well, let's go Dungy, but still)
How many bad coaches are there making 2.5 mil or so a year? If you pay market rate, there should be little problem finding a quality coach.

How many bad coaches are there making 2.5 mil or so a year? If you pay market rate, there should be little problem finding a quality coach.

Rick Barnes*.

*His incompetence as a basketball coach is substantially mitigated by his prowess as a recruiter. But terrible coach, he remains.

Is that the kind of money you think UT would offer? I know Bruce gets that much, but would they need to pay a guy like Marshall that much to start? I just don't see what coach they go realistically go after that would demand that kind of money and come to UT. Not saying Marshall wouldn't come, but I don't think UT would spend that much if they are hiring coaches from Wichita. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Rick Barnes*.

*His incompetence as a basketball coach is substantially mitigated by his prowess as a recruiter. But terrible coach, he remains.

Rick Barnes is not a good coach, but Texas is consistently in the tournament. The bottom line is that we wouldn't return to Buzz ball if we spend 2.5 million.

Is that the kind of money you think UT would offer? I know Bruce gets that much, but would they need to pay a guy like Marshall that much to start? I just don't see what coach they go realistically go after that would demand that kind of money and come to UT. Not saying Marshall wouldn't come, but I don't think UT would spend that much if they are hiring coaches from Wichita. Am I wrong?
I'm not saying UT has to offer that kind of money initially to get a quality coach. I'm simply saying that kind of money is available and is a failsafe that should keep the basketball program from ever falling back into the morass.

Rick Barnes*.

I don't think Barnes is a great coach, but you don't run up the record he did at places like Providence and Clemson if you aren't at least competent.

I don't think Barnes is a great coach, but you don't run up the record he did at places like Providence and Clemson if you aren't at least competent.

I think he's a classic charlatan. Like many charlatan coaches before him, his unhorrible resume makes it more difficult to expose his quackery. One must make qualitative arguments. The Durant offense is merely a good starting point (in my humble estimation).

But this is a good thread...and I don't wish to hijack it. Carry on.

Bruce has already been terminated and contract re-written. He has not signed it and is not officially under contract with UT. Both parties are free to do as they choose.

Bruce has already been terminated and contract re-written. He has not signed it and is not officially under contract with UT. Both parties are free to do as they choose.

Wow! He's been terminated, but continues to coach; truly a great guy who loves UT and the basketball program.

Actually, I thought his contract had been terminated and was being re-done. Didn't know Pearl had been terminated. I think it's great that he continues to coach even though he has actually been terminated. I'm sure the NCAA will be pleased to know he was actually terminated as coach.

VN Store

Back