Dez Bryant-like Suspension for Pearl?

What don't you get? No one is questioning the good things Pearl has done for this program. The question is now how will his actions affect the program in a negative way. To keep saying he is the best coach we have ever had and to ignore our current situation or refuse to discuss it is completely insane.

Notice that Emmert's comments indicated that coaches would be held to at least the same standards as players and that the idea of barring a coach from the NCAA Tournament is one he finds interesting. Unless I completely misread Emmert's comments, and the columns created by the guys who were there indicate my take is accurate, a one year suspension is the best case scenario.

But hat....Slive suspended him so the NCAA would take it east on him! Surely you don't think the NCAA is just going to laugh at the Slive suspension and impose their own?

Notice that Emmert's comments indicated that coaches would be held to at least the same standards as players and that the idea of barring a coach from the NCAA Tournament is one he finds interesting. Unless I completely misread Emmert's comments, and the columns created by the guys who were there indicate my take is accurate, a one year suspension is the best case scenario.

The only thing I am hoping for is that they take into consideration the 8 games from the SEC and the fact that Dez played a couple games that season so it technically was not a full year ban.

I don't see how the NCAA can completely ignore the fact that we handed down a 1 year recruiting ban that was completely unprecedented and without a doubt a severe punishment. I know we set up so it wasn't so bad, but if they come out and give Bruce a full year then whats the point of UT punishing themselves when the NCAA was going to do what they wanted in the first pace anyways.

I thought I heard Hamilton say they have a plan in place to keep Bruce even if he gets a 1 year ban. Does anyones thoughts change on keeping him if we somehow win the National Championship? Hahaha i have to chuckle at the poop storm that would be if that happens.

But hat....Slive suspended him so the NCAA would take it east on him! Surely you don't think the NCAA is just going to laugh at the Slive suspension and impose their own?
As I told him after the game Saturday, Jay Bilas is on to something with his comments about Slive. Der Kommisar has acted for the last couple of years as if the SEC was the force driving the train in college athletics. The 'AA is about to disavow him of that notion.

The only thing I am hoping for is that they take into consideration the 8 games from the SEC and the fact that Dez played a couple games that season so it technically was not a full year ban.

I don't see how the NCAA can completely ignore the fact that we handed down a 1 year recruiting ban that was completely unprecedented and without a doubt a severe punishment. I know we set up so it wasn't so bad, but if they come out and give Bruce a full year then whats the point of UT punishing themselves when the NCAA was going to do what they wanted in the first pace anyways.

I thought I heard Hamilton say they have a plan in place to keep Bruce even if he gets a 1 year ban. Does anyones thoughts change on keeping him if we somehow win the National Championship? Hahaha i have to chuckle at the poop storm that would be if that happens.
If they choose to hammer Pearl, they won't ignore the penalties already imposed. They'll simply say that the recruiting restrictions were something they would have done anyway, the salary issue is between Pearl and UT, and the 8 game suspension is an SEC, not NCAA, matter.

If they choose to hammer Pearl, they won't ignore the penalties already imposed. They'll simply say that the recruiting restrictions were something they would have done anyway, the salary issue is between Pearl and UT, and the 8 game suspension is an SEC, not NCAA, matter.

The recruiting restrictions would not have been for this current year and the next year he would have been banned so I would have assumed he wouldn't be able to recruit anyway. I do agree that I could see the NCAA doing that though.

What do you think about Hamilton's comments to keep him regardless of 1 yr ban and potential of National Championship changing UTs thinking?

The recruiting restrictions would not have been for this current year and the next year he would have been banned so I would have assumed he wouldn't be able to recruit anyway. I do agree that I could see the NCAA doing that though.

What do you think about Hamilton's comments to keep him regardless of 1 yr ban and potential of National Championship changing UTs thinking?
I would hope the administration has already discussed what level of sanctions they can live with and what level would result in Pearl's termination. I don't think a National Championship should change the equation. You can't base long term decisions on short term results.

So hat, I have a question: what would have been an appropriate action by the university to have lessened the NCAA's impending actions?

What people are saying seems to remind me in some ways of the severity of the OJ Mayo case at USC. I remember what Southern Cal did to lessen the blow of the eventual ruling on Mayo - vacated a whole season's wins, banned itself for the tournament for a year, reducing scholarships for two years, and reducing the number of offseason recruiting days and coaches participating in off-campus recruiting.

Was there more UT should have gone through? They wouldn't seem to have some of the same options available since this was a coaching-recruiting / NCAA issue compared to an ineligible player (receiving off the court benefits)

I would hope the administration has already discussed what level of sanctions they can live with and what level would result in Pearl's termination. I don't think a National Championship should change the equation. You can't base long term decisions on short term results.

While I'm very excited, at this point, on this team's potential, I really don't think we have to worry about how we will react to the Pearl situation after a national championship. I fully agree that this decision has more to do with the future of the program than immediate results.

So hat, I have a question: what would have been an appropriate action by the university to have lessened the NCAA's impending actions?

What people are saying seems to remind me in some ways of the severity of the OJ Mayo case at USC. I remember what Southern Cal did to lessen the blow of the eventual ruling on Mayo - vacated a whole season's wins, banned itself for the tournament for a year, reducing scholarships for two years, and reducing the number of offseason recruiting days and coaches participating in off-campus recruiting.

Was there more UT should have gone through? They wouldn't seem to have some of the same options available since this was a coaching-recruiting / NCAA issue compared to an ineligible player (receiving off the court benefits)
The differences in the Mayo case are that the coaching staff was specifically cleared of any wrongdoing and the ultimate findings made the self imposed penalties seem harsher than warranted.

Short of firing Pearl immediately, there's not really anything I think UT could have imposed that would hold sway with the 'AA. It's a Hobson's Choice.

If that is the case, I see no alternative but to fire Pearl. Our program would take such a serious hit and recruiting would reach a point where no elite player would come, we couldn't afford to keep Pearl regardless of his previous success with the program. His actions could actually completely erase all the good things he has achieved for the program. Still completely unbelievable that he would put himself and the program in this situation.

If we fire Pearl I wouldn't worry about elite players since
the team we have now will be only a memory. I don't care how you paint it. We may get a few mediocre coaches over the next twenty years. The mens basketball
program will go back to irrelavancy as it has been in the past. We should just weather the storm and stick with Pearl.

There is absolutely no reason to think that we can't replace Pearl with a top level coach. This type of thinking will only serve to assure that we become irrelevant again. We now have all the facilities needed and a program that many coaches would know they could come here and be successful.

If we fire Pearl I wouldn't worry about elite players since
the team we have now will be only a memory. I don't care how you paint it. We may get a few mediocre coaches over the next twenty years. The mens basketball
program will go back to irrelavancy as it has been in the past. We should just weather the storm and stick with Pearl.
Then the program should be terminated immediately. If you can only find one guy in the world who can win when you're paying 2 mil plus per, you shouldn't bother participating.

Then the program should be terminated immediately. If you can only find one guy in the world who can win when you're paying 2 mil plus per, you shouldn't bother participating.

Who would be another hire for us?

Gregg Marshall, Lon Kruger, Chris Mooney, and Tim Jankovich.

2006 (15) vs. (2) Tennessee (Lost 63 - 61)
^^ Thank you, Chris Lofton.

I like the way Wichita State plays. I don't know enough about Mooney or Jankovich.

Gregg Marshall, Lon Kruger, Chris Mooney, and Tim Jankovich.

Do you think these type of guys could recruit the big name players Pearl has been able to get? I really have no idea other than Kruger who i think probably could since he has NBA experience, but he is 58.

Do you think these type of guys could recruit the big name players Pearl has been able to get? I really have no idea other than Kruger who i think probably could since he has NBA experience, but he is 58.

Like Pearl, it might take a bit of time to land players like that...

Hat, are any of these 4 better coaches than Pearl in your eyes?

While I'm very excited, at this point, on this team's potential, I really don't think we have to worry about how we will react to the Pearl situation after a national championship. I fully agree that this decision has more to do with the future of the program than immediate results.

How can you just dismiss are chances? While the odds are never in a teams favor to win it all I still believe we have just as good of a chance as anyone other than Duke. If Irving is hurt I think we are one of the favorites.

Like Pearl, it might take a bit of time to land players like that...

Hat, are any of these 4 better coaches than Pearl in your eyes?

True. So I assume we will step back to the level of bubble team for a couple of years with a new hire and obvious set backs from the sanctions this year.

I have said many, many times that if Pearl has to be fired, my first call would be to Bloomington, Indiana to see if there is some amount of money that could pry Crean away from there, and if he says no then proceed as need-be.

VN Store

Back