Details released on Barnes contract

Don’t lie to yourself. If Grant and Bone go, it’s a major rebuild job. Bowden & Turner are the only dependable players returning and both are alittle streaky. I’d love to say Fulky, Walker, etc will step up but I’ll have to see it first.

Reactions: CAVPUT
Don’t you think Beard May have caught the perfect storm with the team chaplain’s son being an all American along with finding 2 highly productive grad transfers?

Finding players is job 1 as a college basketball coach.

Lol... y'all acting like Fulmer is withdrawing from your bank account to pay Barnes. Just be happy we have a good coach and a respectable program. Who cares if we overpaid??? Maybe you'd be happier if we underpaid for .500 basketball...

Lol... y'all acting like Fulmer is withdrawing from your bank account to pay Barnes. Just be happy we have a good coach and a respectable program. Who cares if we overpaid??? Maybe you'd be happier if we underpaid for .500 basketball...
Again, I don’t believe most people would be as bothered by the financial aspects of Barnes’ situation if he’d handled it differently. Is his heart really with Tennessee, or is it with the any school that would pony up the cash he wanted following the ride he’s had here the last 2 years. I used to believe differently about the man, and I wish I still did, but I don’t. And do give me he deserves the money argument....Fulmer upped the ante on Barnes without hesitation before last season. Deacon Barnes own admission about the UCLA fiasco makes him disingenuous at best and the slope can get pretty slippery from there. It’s that part of it that I believe most have a problem with.

Reactions: Big time vol
Beard wouldn’t have entertained an offer here. He is waiting for Shaka to get fired at Texas. He will remain in Lubbock until then.

Here is UCLA's take on the coaching search that Barnes was in.

"Barnes had been a popular pick all along among some Bruins donors, and the veteran coach could be touted as a hot commodity after having just been given the Naismith Coach of the Year award following a season in which his team won 31 games.
After a series of back-and-forth discussions, Barnes agreed to take the job for just short of $6 million per season, with the Bruins footing his $5-million buyout, according to two people familiar with the talks. But Barnes subsequently had a representative contact UCLA, asking for more money.
UCLA pulled out of the discussions at that point, even after Barnes said he would accept the previously agreed-upon terms in an attempt to salvage the deal.
Barnes told reporters in the following days that he momentarily thought he was going to become the Bruins’ coach and that the holdup had been UCLA’s unwillingness to pay his buyout.
There was one truth everybody could agree on: Barnes wasn’t coming to Westwood."

The back story on UCLA’s long, strange search for a basketball coach

"Barnes had been a popular pick all along among some Bruins donors, and the veteran coach could be touted as a hot commodity after having just been given the Naismith Coach of the Year award following a season in which his team won 31 games.
After a series of back-and-forth discussions, Barnes agreed to take the job for just short of $6 million per season, with the Bruins footing his $5-million buyout, according to two people familiar with the talks. But Barnes subsequently had a representative contact UCLA, asking for more money.
UCLA pulled out of the discussions at that point, even after Barnes said he would accept the previously agreed-upon terms in an attempt to salvage the deal.
Barnes told reporters in the following days that he momentarily thought he was going to become the Bruins’ coach and that the holdup had been UCLA’s unwillingness to pay his buyout.
There was one truth everybody could agree on: Barnes wasn’t coming to Westwood."

Something is off and someone isn’t being truthful. To each their own but I choose to trust Barnes over random people from California.

So a sports writer with 20 years tenure at the LA Times is going to put “untruths” in published print? That’s a helluva libel risk to take if it’s opinion rather than fact. Me thinks Rick Barnes talks with forked tongue.

Reactions: Big time vol
So a sports writer with 20 years tenure at the LA Times is going to put “untruths” in published print? That’s a helluva libel risk to take if it’s opinion rather than fact. Me thinks Rick Barnes talks with forked tongue.
Wait....you can't be serious?!?! You think because a journalist puts something in print that it is truth, or even that they feel it is 100% truth? Hahaha.....you are either a member of the media or completely disillusioned about the media. Facts are almost non-existent in the media today.

VN Store

Back