Details released on Barnes contract

Seems in line with what we heard.

The Vols on Friday afternoon released details of the new deal, which is worth $26 million over five years. The contract amendment will take Barnes to $4.7 million next year, with annual raises of $250,000 over the following four years increasing the salary to $5.7 million during the 2023-24 season.

Nah, coach a couple of years and take the multi-million dollar buyout and retire. They all do that except for Fulmer.... and Butch!

Would you rather he recruit or win at an elite level?

In my opinion, they go hand in hand. It remains to be seen if he can continue to identify these "diamonds in the rough" and develop them to the point of being an NCAAT caliber team or if our recent success was just a perfect storm of good luck.

I'll be honest and say that I'd like our odds a lot more if we were loading up with 4 and 5 star talent vs these "developmental" types. Guess we'll find out soon enough though. Gonna need Kent, Walker, Burns, Fulk and Pons to step up. Should be interesting to see how this formula works next year if Bone and Grant move on. I'm guessing Pember and Gaines will need a couple of years to mature/develop so I didn't include them in the discussion. ;)

Barnes is a good coach. He has never been elite. Texas ran him off. He is now grossly overpaid. Welcome to Tennessee.

Sums it up. He's done a good job here, and he should be rewarded for it, but he's now making money that final 4 and national championship coaches earn.

Last edited:
I was his biggest supporter and am glad we kept him but now that he played us like he did he better not give us a chance to show we're just a loyal as he was.

Keep us competing for SEC titles and March Madness runs and all will be good.

Stop doing that and it wont be a story book finish for you Brother Rick.

I like Barnes, but $200k just for making the field of 68? That should just be expected when you are already making $5 million a year. Can’t blame him for getting paid, though.

Reactions: Manning Up
I like and respect CRB, but this is a LOT of money. I sure hope he can step it up in recruiting. FLA and GA have great classes coming, and he'll always have to deal with KY. He needs to pick up a good grad transfer and talk that kid in NC into reclassifying.

He's being paid like an elite coach. I hope he starts recruiting at an elite level.
I think I would prefer he continues to recruit the players he feels best fits his system. His recruiting brought UT back to being a basketball team that is one to b feared in the short amount of time he has been here. You were probably one that was whining when he brought in Grant and Kyle and was upset when he kept Admiral.

I was his biggest supporter and am glad we kept him but now that he played us like he did he better not give us a chance to show we're just a loyal as he was.

Keep us competing for SEC titles and March Madness runs and all will be good.

Stop doing that and it wont be a story book finish for you Brother Rick.
Lol "played us." That's one way to spin it.

I think I would prefer he continues to recruit the players he feels best fits his system. His recruiting brought UT back to being a basketball team that is one to b feared in the short amount of time he has been here. You were probably one that was whining when he brought in Grant and Kyle and was upset when he kept Admiral.

The question being...was that just an anomaly or is this a viable plan going forward? If Grant and Bone also depart, we're going to roll with the next generation of his recruiting evaluations so it won't take long to get an answer to that question.

As for the other question, I really hadn't cared enough about UT basketball to follow hoop recruiting until we came out of the wilderness by hiring Pearl. Then the BBQ debacle pulled the rug from under our program and we returned to basketball purgatory. I viewed hiring Barnes as signing a guy who was looking for a check until retirement. I also considered his recruiting as just getting kids who would be easier to deal with and that Barnes just had no desire to stroke the egos of 18-22 year old kids anymore. Don't blame him for that, but at this point, UT has the table set for a few years of consistent success and hopefully will be viewed in a far more favorable light by other coaches when Barnes does step away.

Simply put...I hope we can start going after and signing more talented players who also fit his preferred "type" of player. All signs point to that being the case with kids like James and Walker. Just hoping there are more of those types in our future classes.

The question being...was that just an anomaly or is this a viable plan going forward? If Grant and Bone also depart, we're going to roll with the next generation of his recruiting evaluations so it won't take long to get an answer to that question.

As for the other question, I really hadn't cared enough about UT basketball to follow hoop recruiting until we came out of the wilderness by hiring Pearl. Then the BBQ debacle pulled the rug from under our program and we returned to basketball purgatory. I viewed hiring Barnes as signing a guy who was looking for a check until retirement. I also considered his recruiting as just getting kids who would be easier to deal with and that Barnes just had no desire to stroke the egos of 18-22 year old kids anymore. Don't blame him for that, but at this point, UT has the table set for a few years of consistent success and hopefully will be viewed in a far more favorable light by other coaches when Barnes does step away.

Simply put...I hope we can start going after and signing more talented players who also fit his preferred "type" of player. All signs point to that being the case with kids like James and Walker. Just hoping there are more of those types in our future classes.
I agree with wanting to get better kids that fit the system. If he could recruit 5* players that buy in and don't want to be one and done types, I would be ecstatic! I do not want him to start relying on recruiting agencies to decide what is best though. That cost us a pretty good football coach a few years ago who became star struck and stopped evaluating.

Reactions: CAVPUT

VN Store

Back