Details released on Barnes contract

The old Tennessee would let Barnes walk and spend half the Power 5 average on some “up-and-comer” coach who never up-and-comes.
The short-term memory loss of some of our fans is puzzling. It's like they forgot that our last four hires prior to Barnes came from Tulsa, Milwaukee, Missouri St., and Southern Miss. We batted .250 on those four and now we have an AD who is football thru and thru and has never hired a basketball coach. Call me skeptical, but I'm glad we didn't put the fate of our finally rebuilt basketball program in Fulmer's hands. He may be perfectly capable, but I'll take my chances with HOFer we already have.

Sums it up. He's done a good job here, and he should be rewarded for it, but he's now making money that final 4 and national championship coaches earn.

Those guys are not paid for championships, championships don't fund those programs. They are paid because they fill the arena with 20K + people, concession/retail sales and have the highest TV ratings for their conference. Barnes definitely brought home several seasons worth of bacon last year even without the championship banners. Elite recruits look for a pipeline to the NBA, UT will never establish that pipeline simply because the current bluebloods won't let them. There are only 30 or 40 guys with real NBA potential each season. Those guys are going to Puke, UK, UNC, Kansas. If you can pull 1 of them every 2 years consider yourself lucky.

I have no problem with the business end of this. What I have a problem with is the folksy, plain spoken, supposedly values rooted Coach Barnes. Hey if you do well you deserve a payday. Get it got it good. But don’t tell me you’re not interested in the trappings of fame, success or money and then leverage up and rub it in my face. It reminds me of these churches in my past where Pastors start out well intended, are humble and happy, the church grows from small and intimate to large and impactful, then on to nothing but the best trappings of furnishings, and then this fundraiser and that fundraiser and the Pastor driving the best Mercedes with the best house in the neighborhood rather than that now empty parsonage that’s been turned into an oversized office and conference center.

Call me skeptical, call me anything, you’re entitled to your opinion, and I’m entitled to mine. I feel like we went from the coach with just his briefcase on the sideline who wouldn’t enter the trappings of a big office, to a big bloated payday coach who wouldn’t even be here(which he amazingly readily admits) if UCLA would have ponied up a few more millions. But it was a signal from God, and that signal said stay at Tennessee now that they’ve offered you the millions you seek. Not buying the humble “Deacon Barnes” any more. From now on it’s the same as it is for Coach Cal, or Duke, or Smith at UNC....you better get us to that elite level every damn year brother Barnes! You’re being paid as though you’re a basketball God.

Barnes has likely had his best year here.
Regular season, sure. It's not difficult to imagine that the best regular season in school history is likely the pinnacle. Postseason is a different story. Lots of room for improvement, and that us where he can earn his paycheck. Also reflects very little on regular season success on many occasions. Lots of luck and good fortune involved in deep tourney runs. Two years running we have been on the wrong end of that facet.

Reactions: sport3500
You have to spend money to make money and CRB will pay for his new contract in attendance figures going up in future seasons.

Nah, coach a couple of years and take the multi-million dollar buyout and retire. They all do that except for Fulmer.... and Butch!

The buyout isn’t paid if he retires. At least at most schools but, as we know, Tennessee does things differently

Do you think attendance will be higher than it was this year?
Very possible...early season numbers weren’t all that high this year because season ticket sales weren’t huge, I would expect season ticket numbers to be much higher for next season which will boost the attendance in those early season games.

Great stuff on Basilio this morning. He is asking callers if they know the nicknames for the 1-pick schools in the NFL draft. Every wrong answer is another $200,000 for Barnes' contract.

At this point as a Tennessee fan, if you can't find humor in our program, you're in for some misery every year.

Barnes is a good coach, and we needed a lift as a university. He and the kids gave us that this year, and Barnes has cashed in. It's that simple. He is not a $5.25 million coach.

If CJP wins 8-9 this year (a long shot), Jimmy Sexton is gonna walk unannounced into Fulmer's office, drop trou, and pee on his floor. And almost immediately thereafter, Fulmer is gonna open up the checkbook and make CJP the 2nd highest paid coach in the SEC.

Assuming both coaches go five years at their respective schools, who do you think will accomplish more in the post-season, Barnes or Beard?

Assuming both coaches go five years at their respective schools, who do you think will accomplish more in the post-season, Barnes or Beard?

Beard, most likely, just based on current trajectory. But, this contract he just received should put to rest the idea that Tennessee could have told Barnes to kick rocks and just roll $3.5 million out to Beard like some suggested was the easy fix to our problem.

Beard, most likely, just based on current trajectory. But, this contract he just received should put to rest the idea that Tennessee could have told Barnes to kick rocks and just roll $3.5 million out to Beard like some suggested was the easy fix to our problem.

True....but we could have rolled $5.25 million out there with 751 different incentive clauses out there and had a decent shot, I suspect.

True....but we could have rolled $5.25 million out there with 751 different incentive clauses out there and had a decent shot, I suspect.
My guess is that TTU would have matched $5.25 if they were willing to go in at $4.58 to begin with.

Also, I'd love to hear the commentary to follow if we had made that kind of offer to Beard if he had lost in the Sweet 16. Paying a coach based on one tournament result is painfully shortsighted. Beard is only America's basketball darling based almost entirely on recency bias. 75% of our fan base couldn't have told you who he was 2 months ago and would have collectively lost their minds if we offered him $5.25 million at that point in time. Some fortunate bounces in the NCAAT later, and he is this basketball prince in the minds of people who don't know anything about him other than what they witnessed in March.

VN Store

Back