Desmond Williams - DB Commits

Again, would you rather have our coaches trying to develop 3 star talent or 5 star talent?
There is no such thing as 5 star talent. Ratings are subjective. We need guys with a combination of the right physical and mental attributes (talent) and a strong work ethic, team attitude, etc. Whether the recruiting services are right or wrong about them doesn’t make much difference in the big scheme.

Reactions: VOL6479
Would guys rather date Victoria’s Secret models or average sorority girls?

C’mon dude we can play this “would you rather” game all day long. It’s meaningless. We’re after ballers we can get rn and develop. Period.

Rebuild the culture, increase wins, scare the big boys and steal a few wins, and given TN’s historic top 10 program rank we’ll be in on top recruits again within 2-3 seasons.

Despite what some of you think, elite talent exists and it is the difference between having a good team or a great team. Tennessee can recruit like KY and have good teams, or they can recruit like Bama and have great teams. nobody can debate the discrepancy in the talent levels. I do believe that we saw significant development this season with a gutted roster by Heupel, if he fills some of those holes on the roster with elite talent, then watch out.

There is no such thing as 5 star talent. Ratings are subjective. We need guys with a combination of the right physical and mental attributes (talent) and a strong work ethic, team attitude, etc. Whether the recruiting services are right or wrong about them doesn’t make much difference in the big scheme.

There is a clear defined distinction between Eric Berrys talent and Alontae Taylors.....as is between Peyton and Erik Ainge.....etc etc etc

Reactions: murfvol1
Would guys rather date Victoria’s Secret models or average sorority girls?

C’mon dude we can play this “would you rather” game all day long. It’s meaningless. We’re after ballers we can get rn and develop. Period.

Rebuild the culture, increase wins, scare the big boys and steal a few wins, and given TN’s historic top 10 program rank we’ll be in on top recruits again within 2-3 seasons.
Well stated. Better to have an excited average sorority girl than a frosty Victoria's Secret model for a girlfriend.

There is a clear defined distinction between Eric Berrys talent and Alontae Taylors.....as is between Peyton and Erik Ainge.....etc etc etc
Yes, and the difference that matters is not in the star rating.

There are plenty of examples of players with 5 star ratings who turned out to be elite players. There are also many who were busts. There are also 3, 4, and sometimes even 2 stars who prove to be elite as well. DJ U at Clemson? 5 star. Kenny Pickett? Three star. Which would you rather have?

Stars cease to matter once they set foot on campus.

Again, would you rather have our coaches trying to develop 3 star talent or 5 star talent?

Would you rather have fans that back the team and our players as they look to work hard, put a competitive team on the field, and gets us back to national respectability? Or would you want intellectually lazy mouth-breathers who crap on everything online because they've almost certainly never built or accomplished anything of value in their own lives.

Anywho, welcome Dee Williams! The vast majority of us actual fans are looking forward to you suiting up in the orange & white.

Yes, and the difference that matters is not in the star rating.

There are plenty of examples of players with 5 star ratings who turned out to be elite players. There are also many who were busts. There are also 3, 4, and sometimes even 2 stars who prove to be elite as well. DJ U at Clemson? 5 star. Kenny Pickett? Three star. Which would you rather have?

Stars cease to matter once they set foot on campus.
You are comparing a 5th year senior to a sophomore who is starting for the first time at QB.

I never said you couldnt develop all levels of talent, but there are levels and elite is a level....

Pretty sure that development would have played a part in any players success. Would you rather be developing 5 star talent or 3 star talent?

Depends, are we talking true 5 star talent or the kid that spent thousands of dollars on the camp circuit, has 3 star talent but thinks he is a blueblood and doesn't have to work?

Or are we talking about a true 3 star, that went to one camp, is ready to work and has a chip on their shoulder to prove the world wrong?

I will take the latter.

Tell me the last "Elite Talent" Tennessee Recruited?

Then show me how that panned out...

Trey Smith worked out well. Derek Barnett too. There have been a few others. Could always use more, but we've continued to get good talent...

We'd have elite talent this year, but McDonald's giveth and taketh away.

Reactions: murfvol1
We need more pop and sizzle with this class as in a couple of more 4 stars and fives

How do you know this kid doesn't have elite talent? Will it help if the recruiting sites catch up and give him 4*? Will that make him a better player?

Watch his video then compare it. If you don't think he looks good then be nervous about it.
Video only shows the good plays a recruit makes, not the ones they were beaten for a td Or their missed tackles. Hope he balls out as we sure need help on defense. It’s always a concern with jr. college players. Seems so many never live up to the hype. I suppose we have to take who we are able to convince to commit.

I don’t get how people expect anything different than what is happening while we’re under NCAA investigation.
Last I heard, the NCAA had not notified UT that they were investigating. UT completed its investigation and sent the results and self-imposed penalties to the NCAA... but nothing since. Is there something going on now?

UT purged its program administration, fired its AD and coaching staff, pushed involved players out, and effective reduced its scholarships for this season by about 20. They've now said they aren't going to punish the players who remain with a bowl ban. Seems a pretty reasonable sacrifice, no?

That said, I don't think that stuff is playing much any more. I think this staff has found a guy they truly think can help them win. There are other guys out there including some portal CB's. They chose Williams.

Video only shows the good plays a recruit makes, not the ones they were beaten for a td Or their missed tackles. Hope he balls out as we sure need help on defense. It’s always a concern with jr. college players. Seems so many never live up to the hype. I suppose we have to take whonwe are able to convince to commit.
You are still operating from the notion that they have to sign anyone willing.

Highlight videos are all anyone here has to go on for any player... no star, 2*, 5*. Some of the things you can see even in highlights is how they respond to reads, quickness, physicality, speed, acceleration, athleticism, ability to break on the ball, etc.

That said, I don't think that stuff is playing much any more. I think this staff has found a guy they truly think can help them win. There are other guys out there including some portal CB's. They chose Williams.

All your points are valid, but I think it still plays at least a little until Heupel stacks up wins and/or there's a definititve statement that we're in the clear as far as any penalties or scholarship reductions. Heupel has done a good job of giving us an identity and making us intriguing, but coming off a coaching change and the violations, the 21 and 22 classes were always going to be a tougher sell. Got to create some certainty in the program and show some success with NIL stuff.

Reactions: 90 Vol and sjt18

VN Store

Back