Desmond Oliver to ETSU (maybe)

I think it actually makes a lot of sense and doesn't surprise me at all that they targeted and probably prioritized an AA coach considering the backlash they received after Shay's exit. They are trying to stop the bleeding and think the optics of this will help.

They hired a AA women's coach way before this... the optics only look that way because of the departure. I was told by a may booster that they did not say anything about firing him, but did pull support of the basketball team. The booster is military vet that started a business and made millions. He said he understands the view of the kids that it's not disrespectful, but he said they should understand that he thinks it is disrespectful. The coach said he disagreed so he pulled his funding from the basketball team. He still donates to girls basketball, football and other sports. He just did not appreciate the discussion from what I heard, but never said to fire him or anything.

Let's be honest if you let it simmer down for a year he may have started donating again.

But from the boosters perspective they didn't ask him to resign.

I wonder why a guy like Kevin Boyle has never gotten/taken a chance at the next level as an assistant. He has dominated high school hoops at a national level for a long period of time. He knows recruiting, having been at Montverde Academy for a long time. He may have had opportunities and just turned them down, but that guy seems like someone who could bring a lot to a college program with his experience and recruiting ties.

One name I've heard is Al Pinkins. Not saying I think he's the leading candidate, just saying that's an interesting name I've heard. As of now I don't have any strong feelings on what direction Rick will go.
-Rob Lewis

Also still saying Hayes is still a possibility.

Reactions: BigOrangeGoose
-Rob Lewis

Also still saying Hayes is still a possibility.
Pinkins was an assistant and recruiting coordinator here under Donnie Tyndall. Barnes didn't retain him, then, perhaps choosing to stick with familiarity and also distancing the program from all things related to Tyndall. Interesting name, for sure. He's a current Florida assistant. Also coached under Beard at Texas Texh for a few seasons.

Oliver hired. I wonder if Pember and Gaines go with him?

VN Store

Back