Derek Chauvin trial

Who said outrage should be pointed toward George Floyd? What I said is we shouldn't be afraid or punished for telling the whole truth of the situation, and that while George Floyd was a victim, he was far from innocent. Maybe you just don't read so well, but I clearly said Chauvin was wrong. That doesn't mean George Floyd was right. Despite the narrative that's being pushed, he did commit an actual crime. His arrest was justified. Kneeling on his neck for 9 minutes was not.
I think intelligent people with common sense understand that. Like you said, the arrest was justified; it's obviously dumb to say otherwise. I don't understand the driving force of feeling the necessity to present an opinion in this manner. I don't know if it's your intention, but to me, it sounds like you're not so subtly implying that Floyd forced Chauvin's hand in the event that caused his death. Seems like you are trying to give some justification.

I may be reading too far into it, but surely you can agree that Floyd's past did not merit the unlawful actions that caused his death, no?

R0f38b2482b66cf1e52220aa376e435de
Yeah

• Mitchell, a 31-year-old black man, was photographed on social media attending an August 28 protest in Washington, DC at which Floyd's relatives spoke
  • Mitchell is seen in the photograph wearing a t-shirt with a picture of Martin Luther King Jr and the words 'GET YOUR KNEE OFF OUR NECKS' and 'BLM'
Questions have been raised about the impartiality of one of the 12 jurors who convicted Derek Chauvin of murder after it was revealed he attended a rally last summer where George Floyd's relatives addressed the crowd.

A photo, posted on social media, shows Brandon Mitchell attending an August 28 event in Washington, DC, to commemorate Martin Luther King Jr's 'I Have a Dream' speech during the 1963 March on Washington.

It shows Mitchell, a high school basketball coach, standing with two other men and wearing a T-shirt with a picture of King and the words, 'GET YOUR KNEE OFF OUR NECKS' and 'BLM'. He is also wearing a baseball cap printed with Black Lives Matter.

42547172-9539447-image-a-12_1620110745683.jpg

A photo, posted on social media, shows Brandon Mitchell, who is black, attending the August 28 event to commemorate Martin Luther King Jr's 'I Have a Dream' speech during the 1963 March on Washington. It shows Mitchell (far right) standing with two cousins and wearing a T-shirt with a picture of King and the words, 'GET YOUR KNEE OFF OUR NECKS' and 'BLM'

Derek Chauvin juror could have risked the guilty verdict claim experts by attending BLM rally in DC | Daily Mail Online
You know, I didn’t agree with the decision and figured there was more to it than what we knew at the time but I at least respect the process and was hoping I was wrong. This guy potentially wasted everyone’s time and all the emotions and energy expended by the other jurors and their families, the judge, the lawyers (that’s ok though), the families of both sides, the defendant, the protestors, and everyone else that had some investment in the trial. No matter where you fell in the matter your time, energy, all of it was potentially wasted all because this guy has a truth problem when taking part in a process crucial to the existence of our country. What a stupid, selfish thing to get a potential mistrial over. This guy clearly doesn’t respect that legal process. Time to take his impact on that process away.

I think intelligent people with common sense understand that. Like you said, the arrest was justified; it's obviously dumb to say otherwise. I don't understand the driving force of feeling the necessity to present an opinion in this manner. I don't know if it's your intention, but to me, it sounds like you're not so subtly implying that Floyd forced Chauvin's hand in the event that caused his death. Seems like you are trying to give some justification.

I may be reading too far into it, but surely you can agree that Floyd's past did not merit the unlawful actions that caused his death, no?
It's like you totally ignore where I say Chauvin was wrong, that he deserves to go to jail. In no way did I insinuate Floyd deserved to die. He didn't. But I don't agree that a teacher should be punished for expressing her opinion that Floyd might still be alive had he complied with the arrest. Given his reported health conditions, I wouldn't say it's a certainty he'd still be alive, but his odds would be a lot greater had he simply gotten in the back of the squad car. That in no way justifies what Chauvin did, how far he took it, but again, Floyd was not innocent.

No kidding. I had a neighbor's house burn down a few weeks ago and someone started a Gofund me for them even though they had insurance that would cover everything. They raised $30k for someone that didn't need the money.
I’m going to start one and not even give a reason just to see what happens.

Motion for new trial is standard procedure. Happens in every case that goes to trial, unless there is an acquittal.

Any issue not raised in the motion is usually deemed waived on appeal.

He may amend the motion to get the new information about the juror in there, but it’s not in the first filing, per the article.
If they don’t amend it then Chauvin’s lawyers are the worst.

I think the jury reached the correct verdict, even if the Murder 2 conviction was a tad strong. I wasn't convinced that a retrial was warranted, even after the Maxine Waters issue came into play. But when you add this juror on top of it, I think a retrial needs to happen.

I'm convinced that Chauvin is criminally responsible for Floyd's death. But even a guilty man deserves a fair trial. I don't think he got one.
I don’t agree with everything you said but I respect your objective thought on it. Good comment.

Video shows an Alaska teacher telling students that George Floyd would still be alive if he followed police orders. She was put on leave. (yahoo.com)

George Floyd wouldn't have been killed by police had he complied. He might still have died, no one really knows, but he wouldn't have been killed by Chauvin had he complied and gotten into the squad car rather than fighting it. A teacher attempts to tell the truth rather than push the narrative and she gets suspended.
I agree that there’s a good chance he’s alive had he complied but why is the teacher even talking about it in the classroom? She was way out of bounds for talking about it in that setting in my opinion.

Did I excuse Chauvin's actions? No, I did not. Read my posts in this thread. I've said Chauvin was wrong. I've said he deserves to go to jail for what he did. But none of that excuses George Floyd's own actions. The MSM and many parts of the public have chosen to ignore the poor decisions George Floyd made, as if they don't matter, that led up to his death. He did not deserve to die, but we cannot ignore the teachable moment about where bad decisions may lead you. George Floyd chose to lead a life that would bring him in to conflict with the police. He could have complied with police orders and gotten into the back of that squad car. He knew he had broken the law. He knew why he was being arrested and that the arrest was justified. He was not a good guy and should not be painted as such. He was a victim, but he was not an innocent victim. Chauvin was absolutely wrong and deserves the punishment the justice system metes out, but people should not be cancelled for telling the truth about George Floyd rather than spreading this false narrative that he was a "good guy".
I agree with you but I don’t think that’s in the teacher to teach. If she wants to teach those lessons do it in a different manner. I wouldn’t be happy if a teacher started saying Chauvin was a horrible man who got what he deserved and the same is true of this teacher’s comments. Either way I would have a problem with it.

It's like you totally ignore where I say Chauvin was wrong, that he deserves to go to jail. In no way did I insinuate Floyd deserved to die. He didn't. But I don't agree that a teacher should be punished for expressing her opinion that Floyd might still be alive had he complied with the arrest. Given his reported health conditions, I wouldn't say it's a certainty he'd still be alive, but his odds would be a lot greater had he simply gotten in the back of the squad car. That in no way justifies what Chauvin did, how far he took it, but again, Floyd was not innocent.
Some kind of warning would’ve been warranted for the teacher but not firing. I’ve had to talk to the school a couple times where teachers talked about their political opinion in the classroom but I would never expect a single such offense to result in the teacher being fired. Hopefully soon we will move past canceling and just start lopping off heads!

That's a pretty substantial sentence is it not? Not sure what the average is based on those charges.

VN Store

Back