Democrats pushing to get rid of "So help me God"..

Let's be honest. What good does swearing to God do if they don't believe in God? For that reason alone, I'm perfectly okay with it. Not everyone is Christian, and not everyone believes in a higher power. Swearing to God, swearing on a Bible, it has no meaning to someone not Christian so why do it? Division of church and state.

It is really more of a tradition than anything that has any real value.... I just wish they cared about things that mattered instead of these little petty issues.

Reactions: photovol
I think this is petty on both sides.

We have far too much to be worried about than this.

I am torn because I tend to agree with you and really do not think that people feel compelled to become religious because of some oath. On the flip side, the observation that people who tout it are in a sense using God does ring true. I think it would help if we had far fewer people claiming to be pious, only to turn out to be scoundrels.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Let's be honest. What good does swearing to God do if they don't believe in God? For that reason alone, I'm perfectly okay with it. Not everyone is Christian, and not everyone believes in a higher power. Swearing to God, swearing on a Bible, it has no meaning to someone not Christian so why do it? Division of church and state.

Or if they believe in God, but have no intention of trying to do the job right.

I wasn't aware that he did that. Shows you how much I keep up with current events. He's treading very dangerously
I hadn't heard about it either.... but this makes a lot of sense.
Instead of saying, "Lead us not into temptation," Catholics will say, "Do not let us fall into temptation," The Guardian and Fox Newsreported.
The pope said he thought the English translation of the prayer was not correct.
"It is not a good translation because it speaks of a God who induces temptation," he told Italy’s TV2000 channel in 2017, per The Guardian. "I am the one who falls. It’s not him pushing me into temptation to then see how I have fallen.

I hadn't heard about it either.... but this makes a lot of sense.

Apparently, over the centuries, the good brothers who "translated" scripts played fast and loose anyway, so ...

Last edited:

VN Store

Back