Defensive Prospects

rexvol

The Minister of Defense
I was looking over VIA's great new recruiting board and I had a revelation. Our recruitment of guys on the offensive side of the ball looks very good right now. But we are tanking on defense. The way that VIA has his board set up makes it horrifically apparent that while the offense has benefited from a much needed infusion of youth and vitality, the defensive staff is glaringly stale. Yes our d-backs look great right now, but that because of a converted wr and a legacy.

I was looking over VIA's great new recruiting board and I had a revelation. Our recruitment of guys on the offensive side of the ball looks very good right now. But we are tanking on defense. The way that VIA has his board set up makes it horrifically apparent that while the offense has benefited from a much needed infusion of youth and vitality, the defensive staff is glaringly stale. Yes our d-backs look great right now, but that because of a converted wr and a legacy.

...and Morely, McCoy, Rogan, Martin, Myers White, Gerald Williams....it ain't just a legacy and a converted WR Rexster.

I think the defense needs defensive lineman plain and simple, and I certainly do blame Chavis and Fulmer ultimately for the lack of depth. If this season comes down to not having enough d lineman I will certainly be vocal.

The good news...if there is anyone on this team with talent to be a dominant d lineman, Dan Brooks will find him and help him play to his potential.

you cant count Gerald Williams because he's not here and he's been trying to get here for 3 years. I'll give you Rico and Morely, but even a lame dog catches a rabbit once in awhile. Rogan is a hometown guy, so that's good, but the whole fish in a barrel thing. Let me make it clear that Brooks is awesome in my book,, but the rest of them can go.

That's fine Rex...I certainly wouldn't shed a tear, but I think Gerald Williams will count. I don't think that Ben Martin is a slouch, and Donald Langley just might turn out.

I see little or no excuse for the depletion of the defensive line, or for having to play Ryan Karl last year.

What bothers me the most is that we're not in on any top DT's. How can that be possible?

Chavis is just a plain, bad recruiter now.

We should have gotten Steele when we had the FREAKIN' chance!

What bothers me the most is that we're not in on any top DT's. How can that be possible?

I hope this is sarcasm, because we are in on alot of DT prospects. McFarland, McDaniel, Davenport, Adams, Bonds, Dial, McAllister, Holmes, etc.

They all list us, but are we really "in" with them?

The only shot we have with those guys is the "you can come in and contribute immediately factor". Point is any team who wants to remain relevant needs at least a three or four man rotation at DT with no significant drop off.

We make alot of DT lists every year but never close on any of the big time DT outside of the state. I still get chill bumps thinking about Ben Martin committing at the AA game since I was watching the OSU hat and he grabbed the orange one. And likewise I get sick when I see mention of Marvin Austin.

We have been in on almost all of the BIG DT. Pressley, Bright(glad we missed out on him), Austin etc etc etc. Yet we do not close, its someones fault and I have to point the finger at Chavis.

its someones fault and I have to point the finger at Chavis.
It seems that everyone knows the line on Chavis as a recruiter. It has been the same story for years now. I long ago reached the point where I cannot blame Chavis. If you can get your boss to pay you through the nose and then give you a pass on a major job function/duty, then I don't think it's your fault for taking advantage of the situtation. It's the boss' fault for letting the situation continue.

I hope this is sarcasm, because we are in on alot of DT prospects. McFarland, McDaniel, Davenport, Adams, Bonds, Dial, McAllister, Holmes, etc.

You might want to do some research to find the "vibe" with these players, if you will.

pay attention to the "vibe"..........it's all about the "vibe"

McFarland: not looking good

McDaniel: committed and not looking

Davenport: decent shot

Adams: not looking good

Bonds: lots of work to do

Dial: no offer from UT

McAllister: no chance

Holmes: too early to say

I have said the last two seasons we do a horrible job of recruiting DL and it just continues.

VN Store

Back