Defensive line cmon

Fact is you defended butch who created the depth problem you now use to defend this coach

So what? I think most defended Butch when he he won 9 back to back years. Of course you could just use your eyes and logic to tell you what we lack.

Because we don't have any depth.

It's no secret. You can't win in the SEC with only 2-4 good D-linemen. You need to go be able to rotate in 2nd and even 3rd string guys. We don't have that.

We have a few good players there, but nowhere near enough.

But if this was the only problem then you'd think we'd at least get some pass rush early on in the game...

Solomon didn't play very much his 2nd year for a reason. If he was getting playing time, he would still be in Michigan, 5 star or not. Emerson has very little experience and there is no expeerience behind them Their best D-lineman is injured. I don't understand how posts like this merit attentions except that poster is a troll or knows nothing about football or thre roster.

He didn’t play much because he had a knee injury. He played every game his freshman year.

Reactions: Remy

It's no secret. You can't win in the SEC with only 2-4 good D-linemen. You need to go be able to rotate in 2nd and even 3rd string guys. We don't have that.

Exactly. it ain't madden with fatigue turned off. Our offense hasnt been great, our defense spends a ton of time out there.

Why is this unit so f bad?

Got a couple basic 5 stars in Solomon and Emerson (High 4). 300lb guys

The rest are a mix of top juco recruits and 4/3 stars. Some guys solidly 280-300lbs. I mean they get no push. I seriously don’t get it. Darrel Middleton is huge

Totally the Achilles heel, can’t win a game without pressure. These guys should be playing better, this looks like at least mid sec level talent. Miss state has a huge o line sigh, I wonder if it’s a speed thing. Prob not athletic enough to get around guys on end. Not impressed with d line development
It makes no sense to me why they get no pressure on the quarterback. They definitely pass the eye test. Could it be they are not using proper technique?

Exactly. it ain't madden with fatigue turned off. Our offense hasnt been great, our defense spends a ton of time out there.

Tell me again how the defense was gassed in these games...

GSUUT.png
BYUUT.png

Reactions: HalfullVol
Not a lot to add here just a comment. Thank you guys who put some sincere input here. Like the author of this thread I have wondered why our d line is so bad. You guys make some valid points.

Again, most knew that the D-line would be the thinnest position this year withe loss of our starting Dlinemen from last year. We also now are very thin with numbers at linebacker. Depth is a problem at both positions, quality depth is a bigger problem. Recruiting is the only solution to depth problems.
Training-up guys we currently have, but seldom play could help, along with S&C coaching for everyone on the line. I agree with you regarding recruiting, not just for the D, but the entire program. With our current standing of 1-4 (SEC 0), I'm very concerned about recruiting. IMHO, this year is crap, and will not get discernably better (no matter how much woo-hooo fans we have), next year is the year, Pruitt needs to demo he is a real HC, and start us winning, by winning I mean a few SEC games, not just cupcakes. Do I expect a NATY next year, hell no. Do I expect, a minimum of 8 games won by end of season-hell yes! The problem with Pruitt is we are paying him and we are paying boy butch at the same time, as if UT were a cash cow. A three or four win season next year will be a complete failure. The state of our program must be having an effect on recruiting, yet we're not hearing much about it.

So you expect a player to play 70-80 plays a game and not become tired. They are not super human and and like of depth is the principle Ramon for the fall off play in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Experienced depth is just as important as good talent.

I'm not sure if you didn't read my post or if I failed in trying to articulate what I meant?

Of course being thin and playing high snap counts will tire a player and the level of play will drop. That's common sense. What I said has to do with the 1st 20-30 snaps of the game. Performance has not been stellar even early in the game. Matter of fact teams seem to move right down the field against the D on the 1st drive of the game.

That's what I meant

Subpar 2019 recruiting haul for this position group IMO- only added Middleton, Savion, and Simmons along with the transfer Solomon to an existing thin and not very dynamic group. Then the most disruptive returning guy Gooden goes down for the year.

I think these guys minus Gooden have done a decent job of holding the point of attack on run plays. But none are dynamic yet. Hope they develop this year to where they can at least push the pocket on longer developing pass plays.

Does it make u wonder about Pruitt's recruits on dl? Appears butches dl was better than now?
No way. It reassures that Butches recruits are not as good as Pruitts or they would still be around and playing. Same with the O-line. We will have three true Freshmen starting on the O-line Saturday. His recruits on both sides are like boys compared to Pruitt line recruits

I'm not sure if you didn't read my post or if I failed in trying to articulate what I meant?

Of course being thin and playing high snap counts will tire a player and the level of play will drop. That's common sense. What I said has to do with the 1st 20-30 snaps of the game. Performance has not been stellar even early in the game. Matter of fact teams seem to move right down the field against the D on the 1st drive of the game.

That's what I meant
Performance in the first quarter and an a half was good enough to lead the # three ranked team in the Nation.

No way. It reassures that Butches recruits are not as good as Pruitts or they would still be around and playing. Same with the O-line. We will have three true Freshmen starting on the O-line Saturday. His recruits on both sides are like boys compared to Pruitt line recruits

I agree on ol, how many on dl are Pruitt's recruits?

I agree. Watch the D-line at the point of contact. It’s almost as if they are O-linemen. They engage with the lineman blocking them, lock up and that’s it! No technique, no swim moves, no smacking the lineman’s hands down, they just engage in the block and they’re just kinda there. I watch other teams and their defensive linemen have the “violent” hands and different techniques, trying to shed blockers, our guys, not so much.
GBO!!
100% This.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
So what? I think most defended Butch when he he won 9 back to back years. Of course you could just use your eyes and logic to tell you what we lack.
You just called him a moron yet you supported him. The fact is you're one of those guys that as long as the coach is here you support him. Then once he's gone you start agreeing with all the people that you argued with when he was here.

I would agree if they looked better in the first half than in the 2nd. They really don’t though. Maybe slightly, but even on the first drive down the field we are getting zero pressure on the qb. Depth is not the only problem, these guys just aren’t playing like they could be.

I agree on ol, how many on dl are Pruitt's recruits?

All except Matt Butler, J. Blakely and Latrell Bumphus were signed by Pruitt. Blakely and Bumphus originally played other positions for Jones and were converted to DL by Pruitt.

I’m counting guys like Darrell Taylor and Deandre Johnson as OLBs, though sometimes the OLBs play DE when we’re in a 4-3.

The Dline will be facing the best all around running back they've faced so far. Kylin Hill brings strength when blocked for 2 yards he gets 4 . He has speed and cutting ability. Unless they have some timely turnovers , we will have to outscore them.

Um wrong. Swift is better.

Reactions: m1al
Performance in the first quarter and an a half was good enough to lead the # three ranked team in the Nation.

Offense, Defense, and Special teams led UGA for a quarter.

I'm speaking just about the Defense and being able to get pressure on the QB and get a push. The defensive line needs to get better and hopefully it will with time and recruiting.

Offense, Defense, and Special teams led UGA for a quarter.

I'm speaking just about the Defense and being able to get pressure on the QB and get a push. The defensive line needs to get better and hopefully it will with time and recruiting.
I agree but progress will depend on progress in S&C as well as experience gained through out the season

Anybody remember Coach Osborne, Nebraska? They had a S&C coach-best in the nation, training up their players in a manner that paid off-big time. No one ever accused Nebraska of being soft, or out of gas, or getting pushed around on the line. A lot of our problems stem from -O- and -D- line strength and conditioning-it keeps showing up in the second half, and by the 4th quarter it's painfully obvious. Here is one area that does not require "Super recruiting" to fix. UT has spent millions of dollars on a new weight training facility-it appears the only one(s) really benefiting from this expenditure are those that built it, and those that sold us the equipment.

VN Store

Back