Defensive line cmon

I keep hearing Simmons is a redshirt candidate this year. Okay he has 4 games he can play in and remain eligible. When they gonna allow this big dog to eat? Which 4 ya'll?

He played a little against UTC, so he has 3 games left.

Reactions: Remy
Why is this unit so f bad?

Got a couple basic 5 stars in Solomon and Emerson (High 4). 300lb guys

The rest are a mix of top juco recruits and 4/3 stars. Some guys solidly 280-300lbs. I mean they get no push. I seriously don’t get it. Darrel Middleton is huge

Totally the Achilles heel, can’t win a game without pressure. These guys should be playing better, this looks like at least mid sec level talent. Miss state has a huge o line sigh, I wonder if it’s a speed thing. Prob not athletic enough to get around guys on end. Not impressed with d line development

After watching them 4 man rush UGA and get zero pressure (and zero is more than there actually was) I was thinking just rush 1 and keep everyone back in protection would have been more productive. Several times I was thankful when he passed too quickly because he could have stood back their and ate a sandwich if he wanted.

Reactions: sjt18 and wlkx
Because we don't have any depth.

It's no secret. You can't win in the SEC with only 2-4 good D-linemen. You need to go be able to rotate in 2nd and even 3rd string guys. We don't have that.

We have a few good players there, but nowhere near enough.
Everyone has to be able to play their starters on defense because most of the offenses can go tempo. I do think that failure to cover the second level is hurting more failure to get the pass rush because a lot of those slants are timing plays where you're never going to touch the QB before he releases.

It's no secret. You can't win in the SEC with only 2-4 good D-linemen. You need to go be able to rotate in 2nd and even 3rd string guys. We don't have that.

This. Gooden going down hurt us badly as well. We were already thin there even before injuries. Strength and conditioning were kind of optional with butch’s last few years, that’s going to show up more in the trenches than anywhere else.

Like he said we have a few good players but not enough to not get worn down by the end of the game. Honestly I’m afraid with the number of snaps and lack of depth we may have more issues as the year goes on with injuries.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Really? Everyone knows we literally have had 0 depth along the Dline all year. The weakest spot of our defense hands down. We lost gooden... yea dude watch some games

Citing depth as a reason doesn't really explain it IMHO.

Lack of depth would explain being disruptive and getting a push early but not being able to sustain it as the game goes on. The push really hasn't been there at all yet.

Maybe with more time and development the Dline will come around and with another recruiting class (if it's a solid haul of dline guys) maybe UT will have some dominate dlinemen with capable backups.
I agree. Watch the D-line at the point of contact. It’s almost as if they are O-linemen. They engage with the lineman blocking them, lock up and that’s it! No technique, no swim moves, no smacking the lineman’s hands down, they just engage in the block and they’re just kinda there. I watch other teams and their defensive linemen have the “violent” hands and different techniques, trying to shed blockers, our guys, not so much.
GBO!!

We've been hearing that for 5 or 6 years. We don't have enough depth. And the same people that defended all those coaches at the time are now blaming those coaches for our problems

Reactions: Pimpnorange1
I agree. Watch the D-line at the point of contact. It’s almost as if they are O-linemen. They engage with the lineman blocking them, lock up and that’s it! No technique, no swim moves, no smacking the lineman’s hands down, they just engage in the block and they’re just kinda there. I watch other teams and their defensive linemen have the “violent” hands and different techniques, trying to shed blockers, our guys, not so much.
GBO!!
With that said, I should clarify that depth is an issue as well as the talent level, maybe...
GBO!!

How many d-lineman are hurt? I am aware of one.
At present time, two that I know. Emmit is out for the year and Solomon is doubtful this week. Point still being, if Dean went down for the year, will the replacement be as good thus affecting the performance on the field?

It’s more about depth. We have some depth but not a lot of quality depth. Now some will say it’s on Pruitt to put guys out there if others aren’t getting it done. But you have to have guys RSing because if you don’t you will never get depth.

At present time, two that I know. Emmit is out for the year and Solomon is doubtful this week. Point still being, if Dean went down for the year, will the replacement be as good thus affecting the performance on the field?

If I lose Peyton Manning to injury and I have to play Dan Orlovsky...that’s a big deal.

If I lose Dan Orlovsky to an injury and I have to play Curtis Painter, does it matter?

I get the thin argument, but that doesn't explain why the starters can't get any pressure early in the game. I swear, Trask didn't even have to wash his uniform after our game.

At Bama, FSU and Georgia Pruitt had a boatload of premiere defensive linemen. Those are all talent rich states with great black athletes. Tennessee has nothing similar as far as consistent instate talent of 300 pounders who can run. How long will it take to get top sec talent at dL and can it actually be done? I like the vol staff as recruiters and it will be interesting to see how they compensate for the pizzpore shortage of talent in that weirdly drawn geopolitical area known as Tennessee.

I get the thin argument, but that doesn't explain why the starters can't get any pressure early in the game. I swear, Trask didn't even have to wash his uniform after our game.

I was afraid they would actually break thru unblocked and not be able to take Trask down.

There were a few times in the UGA game where it looked as if Fromm could have just stood there and held the ball and none of the DL would ever have touched him.

At Bama, FSU and Georgia Pruitt had a boatload of premiere defensive linemen. Those are all talent rich states with great black athletes. Tennessee has nothing similar as far as consistent instate talent of 300 pounders who can run. How long will it take to get top sec talent at dL and can it actually be done? I like the vol staff as recruiters and it will be interesting to see how they compensate for the pizzpore shortage of talent in that weirdly drawn geopolitical area known as Tennessee.

There is no excuse for the line being what it is. I’m not assigning blame. There is probably a lot to go around.

All I can tell you is that it is the worst pass rushing d-line I have ever seen from a power SEC school. Maybe Vandy, Kentucky, etc., have had worse. But, I’ve never seen a line this bad at an Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, etc.

Our -D- RUNS OUT OF GAS by the 3rd quarter. There is no sugar-coating it. This Fact becomes even more apparent when you look at how we play when we have an SEC team on the other side of the ball. UGA had possession for about 38 minutes of the game, UT 22 minutes, that averages to around 5.5 minutes per quarter, and that includes the time the Offense had the ball!!! Our -D- is not in SEC shape. Not lining up correctly, does not make you so tired that in the fourth, you can't tackle a rusher, 3 on 1. Our S&C coach and program needs a kick in the nads.

Last edited:
Citing depth as a reason doesn't really explain it IMHO.

Lack of depth would explain being disruptive and getting a push early but not being able to sustain it as the game goes on. The push really hasn't been there at all yet.

Maybe with more time and development the Dline will come around and with another recruiting class (if it's a solid haul of dline guys) maybe UT will have some dominate dlinemen with capable backups.
Again, most knew that the D-line would be the thinnest position this year withe loss of our starting Dlinemen from last year. We also now are very thin with numbers at linebacker. Depth is a problem at both positions, quality depth is a bigger problem. Recruiting is the only solution to depth problems.

Reactions: TN Outlaw

VN Store

Back