DEFENSIVE HIRES

Plowman hired Steele.

Agreed, but that was most likely just a bandaid solution to hold us over, and was an outside entity with no ties to our MickyD lunch special.

If they can vet Steele and show he didn't stab Gus in the back and try and snake the Auburn HC position, and he's just guilty by association, then I am cool with him staying as the ILB or something of that nature.

I have a gut feeling though that his time here is short, and they are cutting his check as we speak.

Agreed, but that was most likely just a bandaid solution to hold us over.

If they can vet Steele and show he didn't stab Gus in the back and try and snake the Auburn HC position, and he's just guilty by association, then I am cool with him staying as the ILB or something of that nature.

I have a gut feeling though that his time here is short, and they are cutting his check as we speak.

I feel the same as you, he's not going to stick around. But I think the narrative of him being a "Fulmer guy" is wrong, because when he was hired, I believe Plowman knew Fulmer and Pruitt were about to be fired.

The key is his buyout: if you offer him a LB coach spot and he refuses, you don't have to pay him a dime. So my guess is they're playing chicken right now.

I feel the same as you, he's not going to stick around. But I think the narrative of him being a "Fulmer guy" is wrong, because when he was hired, I believe Plowman knew Fulmer and Pruitt were about to be fired.

tenor.gif

I thought Kevin Simon had been retained in some unannounced role? Am I crazy?
GBO!!
As far as I can see, Simon has had an off field position in player development at Tennessee since February of 2018. Whether he would like to be an on field coach, I don't know, but I'd like for him to have the chance if he wants to.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I don't claim to know his future, but Steele walked in the middle of chaos and as far as I can tell, has acted very professionally and done everything Tennessee could have asked. He maintained communication with recruits and calmed many current players. He didn't bat 1.000... even Pruitt staying wouldn't have accomplished that. But he seems to have done his best to act in the best interest in the University of Tennessee.

At the time, I thought his hiring was an insurance policy, and he could add value regardless of how things worked out. Steele is like a Swiss army knife... a great tool to have when you don't know what you will need. He could serve as head coach, interim head coach, defensive coordinator, defensive position coach, analyst, effective recruiter... and could do a credible job at any of them. I though it made sense to bring him in. If Heupel trusts him and their visions match, I'd love to see him on staff in some capacity he finds rewarding. If not, UT knew when they hired him that this was a possibility and went ahead and invested the money. Steele had to see this possibility as well.

He is acting like a professional and should be treated with the commensurate level of respect whether or not he and the Vols part ways.

I don't claim to know his future, but Steele walked in the middle of chaos and as far as I can tell, has acted very professionally and done everything Tennessee could have asked. He maintained communication with recruits and calmed many current players. He didn't bat 1.000... even Pruitt staying wouldn't have accomplished that. But he seems to have done his best to act in the best interest in the University of Tennessee.

At the time, I thought his hiring was an insurance policy, and he could add value regardless of how things worked out. Steele is like a Swiss army knife... a great tool to have when you don't know what you will need. He could serve as head coach, interim head coach, defensive coordinator, defensive position coach, analyst, effective recruiter... and could do a credible job at any of them. I though it made sense to bring him in. If Heupel trusts him and their visions match, I'd love to see him on staff in some capacity he finds rewarding. If not, UT knew when they hired him that this was a possibility and went ahead and invested the money. Steele had to see this possibility as well.

He is acting like a professional and should be treated with the commensurate level of respect whether or not he and the Vols part ways.

giphy.gif

247 posted some more hires, all support staff - but still important. Saw that Scott Altizer and Charlie High both returned to the UTAD.

Reactions: strongj81
I’d think maybe Banks coaches DB too ?
Yeah, I would guess Banks will coach the safeties and Garner DL, which leaves two LB spots and one for CB. If we can get Lorig at LB, I would imagine he would also be in charge of ST.

247 posted some more hires, all support staff - but still important. Saw that Scott Altizer and Charlie High both returned to the UTAD.
All but like 2 of that staff are VFLs and have worked for Tennessee before in some capacity for the football team.

The key is his buyout: if you offer him a LB coach spot and he refuses, you don't have to pay him a dime. So my guess is they're playing chicken right now.

So why would Donde hire a DC who was let go just because Fulmer and Pruitt were going to be gone? That makes no sense. The more logical reason is Fulmer told Steele he would have a job here.

Bravo.

Rodney Garner isn't listed either.
No official announcement on any other defensive assistants other than Banks.

VN Store

Back