Defending 5A Smyrna High School defeats Wilson Central (headed to Knoxville)

17-7 with 4 minutes remaining and Bearden gets an onside kick recovery.

Props to Wilks and Smyrna's defense if they pull this one out - they proved me wrong.. which isn't too hard to do when it comes to high school sports.

17-14 but Smyrna recovered the next onside kick after a questionable call according to the radio people. :dunno:

Can't win with that many TOs. Especially when one gets returned for 6. Bearden didn't play their usual game tonight.

17-7 with 4 minutes remaining and Bearden gets an onside kick recovery.

Props to Wilks and Smyrna's defense if they pull this one out - they proved me wrong.. which isn't too hard to do when it comes to high school sports.

If you're "not hard to be proved wrong", then you don't need to be running your mouth like some kind of know it all. It usually makes you look like a jackass in the end.

Just got back from the game. To be honest, Smyrna may have gotten some home cooking, I'm not sure. Without Rod we lose. Bearden shut us down second half and they started passing and connnecting on passes pretty easy. I will say had Bearden not recovered two on side kicks the game would not have been as close.I am glad the game ended when it did or Smyrna probably would have lost to be honest.They tore our offensive line up big time!!!!!!!!!!

If you're "not hard to be proved wrong", then you don't need to be running your mouth like some kind of know it all. It usually makes you look like a jackass in the end.

Your the only one that looks like a jack@$$ - stop trolling. I made my prediction and stuck by it. So what if I was wrong? Pretty sure I'm entitled to my own opinion here. Btw... way to make it obvious that you're a Smyrna Homer.

You do know that Smyrna is the defending State Champion, right?

Good run for Bearden, but Smyrna is the best team in 5-A.

I don't see you point? That was last years team not this years.... and I don't know if anyone can honestly say if Bearden played their best game that Smyrna would have come away with the W. I find it hard to say a 3 loss team is/was the best team in 5-A. Best on that particular night - yes so I have to give Smyrna credit for being the better team tonight.

Anyway - Goodnight and goodluck to Smyrna and especially Wilks! :salute:

Volsfan126 I coached david spurlock and ethan poole. Actually davids dad was my defensive coach. Maybe if you know david you could give us a gut feeling where he will play college ball. last I talked to his dad (sept.) it seemed like maybe alabama was his leader but he was going to louiville to check things out.

I just think this region has more quality teams from top to bottom.Theres not any easy nights you have to come to play every night or you could lose. Smyrna lost 3 games but you got to look at who they were to riverdale and b.a. are great teams with big offensive lines. Riverdale looks like a college team for christ sakes.

Correction on my behalf would be Bearden only recovered one onside kick and attempted a second where Smyrna recovered it. I will say concerning players in different regional areas, no one puts them out more than Maryville High School.Riverdale I think is more of the get the best players in the area to come there, like how great the Central team of Murfreesboro use to be until it split up into Riverdale and Oakland, so IMO Riverdale is able to get basically get anyone into zone to play at their school is just my guess.I could be wrong.Maryville could practice the same thing, I don't know.

Bearden is still a better team? At one point it was 17-0. If not for recovering an on-side kick the score would not have been close. Ah, guess Smyrna just got lucky again. Lucky 'ol Smryna. Haha.

Bearden is still a better team? At one point it was 17-0. If not for recovering an on-side kick the score would not have been close. Ah, guess Smyrna just got lucky again. Lucky 'ol Smryna. Haha.

...... An onside kick is as lucky as the 3 turnovers Bearden had. One was recovered for a TD by Wilks. Bearden just got a lot of bad breaks - and we all know a lot about that. The game could have easily been 17-0 in Bearden's favor without those 'lucky' mistakes. It was pretty obvious to everyone, excep you maybe, that the defenses were amazing in this game - but Bearden's offense screwed up which is out of character.. so they lost.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here though... I gave credit to Smyrna for being the better team last night so no point in dragging this out. Seems like you're just in this thread to troll and nothing more.

Bearden has about as impressive a defense as ive seen in high school, they kept them in the game. They put tons of pressure on sonny all night and i think it influenced the play calling in the second half. Sonny was getting hit a lot. he's had a knee brace on for a few weeks and was limping. Smyrna went to conservatve mode and ran the ball the whole second half, possibly to kill the clock, possible to keep sonny on his feet.

at the start it looked like smyrna would run away with it, but bearden's d stepped up big inside thier own 5 and made a stop.

bearden had absoutely no offense for the first 44 minutes of the game. their qb stepped up his game late, it was just too late.

i wouldnt call the turnovers lucky, the d still had to be there and capitalize on them. the scoop and score was just bad, the rb just flat out dropped it, a hit didnt cause it.

dont let the score fool you, it wasnt much of a game for 3 and a half quarters. Give bearden credit, their d is very stout and kept them in it and they stuck with it and made it a game, a lesser team would have packed it in.

In the end the better team did win. just my humble opinion.

VN Store

Back