Dee Beckwith to Kentucky

He's from my hometown, my son's school, where he was coached by a close friend.

That said, I simultaneously wish him the best and Kentucky the worst.

Although I do question the wisdom of him going to school with a very very crowded running back room.

Reactions: VolDave53
Ky has an open spot and as of today, he’s a good gamble. If he’s still soft, it’s a waste of 1 yr. They’ll send he on if he can’t play.

As I recall, Cobb said he wanted a shot at playing quarterback.

To Phil's credit, he said, "no way, Jose" Kentucky let him play some quarterback until it became evident that his talents were better suited elsewhere. For weak Kentucky teams, he did everything except hand out the popcorn.

I don't necessarily doubt your account. I do know some years back, I read either an article or an interview where Randal said Phil told him he was too small. I think Phil more or less admitted that. Try as I did, I couldn't find that article on the WWW. I think this article appeared around 2010 and someone tried to get him to talk revenge against the Vols, in particular Fulmer for not recruiting him. But Randall didn't cotton to that, though he did share some of the things that went on, among them the too small comment from Fulmer. No matter, we and everybody else will periodically miss out on players that we should have recruited and signed. My actual point in this was my hope Beckwith doesn't turn out to be a similar case where he blooms elsewhere, and it costs us as a result. Such things do happen, even in the pros. A so-so or even a bust player becomes a dynamo due to a change in venue. Whether it's just a new town, a new coach, better meshing with a new team, a new system, or whatever. It happens.

Last edited:
Cobb did some damage to TN's D when we played KY during his career there. He definitely had a chip on his shoulder against the Vols. And no KY never beat us but it wasn't due to Cobb's lack of play. Usual KY team back then, not a lot of SEC level players to beat the big boys. I believe both stories are true about wanting to play QB and Fulmer telling him he as too small for that. He was not a highly recruited player back then but proved everyone wrong.

Has talent but just couldn't put it all together, he's a taller guy and he tried to play with his pad level was way to high

VN Store

Back