DC Hot Board

I don't know much about Heupel's history or connections but seeing as the DC hire will be enormous, I'd love to hear some info from you wonderful people on who he might pull here. One thought I had was if he woukd hire his old boss, Barry Odom. His defense was a big reason Mizzou won the East twice when he was DC.
I want either Kevin Steele or Barry Odom

Reactions: Vollifer1949
Muschump is headed to Jawga......otherwise I’d love to see him on our sidelines as a DC. Would make the HC hire more palatable
Isn't he going as an analyst? Shouldn't be hard to change his mind

I don't know much about Heupel's history or connections but seeing as the DC hire will be enormous, I'd love to hear some info from you wonderful people on who he might pull here. One thought I had was if he woukd hire his old boss, Barry Odom. His defense was a big reason Mizzou won the East twice when he was DC.

Odom and Steele are likely candidates

I want this, we need that, we need to go after him, this is what we should do.....why don't we let him hire his staff. I remember when Pruitt and Ainsley came on board we were going to be the greatest thing since slice bread, how did that work out for us. The bottom line is most people on here look at every ex SEC coordinator that had some success and we automatically want them. Maybe it is time to try someone from the Pros or someone that he knows that none of us have ever heard of. I am not sure we could do much worse than we have in the past going for everybody else's retreads.

My POINT was ; Mayo is a LB Coach. That does NOT auto qualify one to be DC.

How does one become a DC? I thorough understanding of schemes and the ability to counter what the offense is attempting to exploit. Players know and understand this. LB's are especially knowledgeable because they are the "coach on the field". He's had years and years playing for and now coaching with one of the best coaches ever. He's been groomed and he could very well do a terrific job as DC here.

Steele came here to have a shot at earning the HFC job as an interim. It would be pretty big of him to stick around.
To be a DC and get paid well at his alma mater? Why would he leave if he gets that. Not like programs are beating his door down to be a head coach

Steele and Odom if you want to stay in the SEC.
Outside the SEC, drop the truck with Venables or Jim Leonard.

Looking elsewhere or swinging for the fences go find Marvin Lewis, Matt Patricia, Romeo Crennel, or Raheem Morris...problem with these guys is they are all NFL and likely looking for the next NFL HC gig.

Steele came here to have a shot at earning the HFC job as an interim. It would be pretty big of him to stick around.

I always thought Steele came here to provide some continuity between a staff that would have some coaches shown the door, and who knows how many others heading for the exit on their own, and a new head coach's staff.

I also figured that he wasn't named interim coach, so that he wouldn't have to take a demotion to assistant coach, when the new head coach was fired.

Muschamp I think just wants to get in on Smart's staff at UGA. I don't see him coming here.

We *may* be able to lure away Odom, but I'm pretty sure we might just be stuck with Steele... which isn't *bad* but I don't think it's good enough.

Remember... Clemson was stuck in 8-4/9-3 land (which we'd all kill for) and didn't become elite until they got rid of Steele and hired Venables.

It's a pro and cons situation.

I think I'd prefer Odem if you can lure him away from Ark... Which I think will be a difficult pull. (He's my choice)

I think Odem is the better DC, but I think Steele is the better recruiter, plus he would bring Rodney Garner another great recruiter and DL Coach.

So it's all about the trade off and who the other staffers will be.

VN Store

Back