Danny White Year 1

Randy Boyd gets the credit for retaining Barnes in 2019 when UCLA tried to hire Barnes.

Fulmer was going to let Barnes go to UCLA.
JMHO..
Boyd should have helped him pack.
UT can and should have an elite BB coach.
Certainly for CRB's salary.
If new AD is as smart as some think, he better have a top HC in his pocket for when the Barnes era ends.

JMHO..
Boyd should have helped him pack.
UT can and should have an elite BB coach.
Certainly for CRB's salary.
If new AD is as smart as some think, he better have a top HC in his pocket for when the Barnes era ends.
If Barnes had left for UCLA, Fulmer would have been the one to hire the men's BB coach and negotiate his contract.

How do you think that would have turned out given Fulmer's past record of coaching hires and contract negotiations?

If Barnes had left for UCLA, Fulmer would have been the one to hire the men's BB coach and negotiate his contract.

How do you think that would have turned out given Fulmer's past record of coaching hires and contract negotiations?
Not a PF fan, at all.
But a blind hog finds an acorn, now and again.
IMHO we would have lost nothing and had at least a shot at an elite coach.
CRB's tenure at UT has produced 3 NCAA tournament wins. That does not scream elite.
At 67 yo, he will suck the UT teat for as long as allowed.
New AD will get his chance soon. I hope he is ready.

Not a PF fan, at all.
But a blind hog finds an acorn, now and again.
IMHO we would have lost nothing and had at least a shot at an elite coach.
CRB's tenure at UT has produced 3 NCAA tournament wins. That does not scream elite.
At 67 yo, he will suck the UT teat for as long as allowed.
New AD will get his chance soon. I hope he is ready.
Using that logic, keeping Barnes was the certainly the undeniably right choice.

If Phil was due to make a competent hire/contract given his past disastrous record, Barnes is due for a NCAA title. Right?

Our opinions about whether keeping Barnes was the right choice or not matters only to us.
The power brokers have the only opinions that matter. They made the call and we can like it or not. PF did not make any decisions without at least some kind of consensus among the powers that be.
Bucking the UT elite will get your plane recalled and get you fired.
Maybe just get your plane privileges revoked as was the case for a former BB coach that IMHO was better than Barnes.
The blame for bad coaching hires at UT is not solely on the AD, but no one in their right mind thinks PF could ever broker a deal for an elite coach.

Yes.. but Fulmer hired most of these coaches if not all. The only hire White can claim so far is in Football…. Yea Fulmer screwed up with Pruitt but the search was basically ruined when he came into it.

I think Fulmer did a great job with most of the sports… just not really with football bc it was a huge rebuild and he hired Pruitt who wasn’t the right dude…

Whether White does a great job or not will take several Years to find out.

Some folks really need to stop thinking, and just look at their fact checking and actual results. When you start thinking, you give Big Boy credit for things he actually did not do. That most if not all line? You should have gained ten feet on your nose with that one.

No, but if Phil were still here? He might be jumping on to make them official. At this point, he might have to.
Lol because of title 9, UT isn’t adding any club mens sports as “official” ones, because they would have to add plus 2 womens teams

Lol because of title 9, UT isn’t adding any club mens sports as “official” ones, because they would have to add plus 2 womens teams

Fair enough. Make pole dancing, and gossip official women's sports, until they establish a couple of other real ones.

Fair enough. Make pole dancing, and gossip official women's sports, until they establish a couple of other real ones.

Edit: OK that was silly. Women's cornhole and Rugby. Or maybe if the LFL ever gets going again? Start up a collegiate league. I am sure a few guys will want to watch that.

Randy Boyd gets the credit for retaining Barnes in 2019 when UCLA tried to hire Barnes.

Fulmer was going to let Barnes go to UCLA.

I believe Barnes was playing above CPF's pay grade and he involved his bosses to get the deal done. If not, what are the odds that Boyd would have sung his praises at the press conference announcing CPF's departure? We will really get a read on this once we finalize the NCAA dealings on the Pruitt matter. If they pretty much exonerate ALL remaining staff members and acknowledge that all offending players were provided exit visas then CPF will be called on more for public appearances for having been involved in all the purge decisions before White's arrival. He owned the hire and if he fully owned a piece of the solution plan that will be acknowledged. He could have easily tried to separate from Pruitt and then been involved in the next hire, requiring the bosses to make another ugly firing and complicating the timeline of the already difficult subsequent AD search. He at least acknowledged it was better for a new AD to make the next hire. They all played that transition deal as best it could be done to get a quality AD in place and proceed down the road to recovery which evidently includes just adding some schollie reductions and no bans. White may not have been at the top of the list, but he was surely on the A list.

Reactions: Volfan1000
"The University of Tennessee is the only school in the country that can claim a football bowl game, NCAA Tournament bids for men’s and women’s basketball and a College World Series appearance in baseball in the calendar year of 2021, all of which makes for a pretty successful first year for athletic director Danny White.

I've seen a lot of success and positive trendlines and all that....

BUT I really didn't like that we cancelled our football game with Army. If you know why the Volunteer state is called the Volunteer state, then you'll know our unique kinship with the U.S. Armed Forces - particularly the Army. I don't think General Neyland would have supported cancelling this game with his Alma Mater.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I've seen a lot of success and positive trendlines and all that....

BUT I really didn't like that we cancelled our football game with Army. If you know why the Volunteer state is called the Volunteer state, then you'll know our unique kinship with the U.S. Armed Forces - particularly the Army. I don't think General Neyland would have supported cancelling this game with his Alma Mater.

I don't have a clue how The General would have morphed down through the years. As a single wing guru cut blocking was part of his deal as well and everybody was run oriented. Times have changed, several rules too, and having to deal with those concepts on nearly every defensive play is not a familiar situation for your team to deal with. Unlike folks having to deal with our new hurry up schemes that can expose your conditioning and minimize advantages of deeper teams by keeping replacement reps on the sideline, the issue here is how many knee and leg injuries do you risk playing these teams. As thin as we are due to Pruittgate I can see the braintrust voting to go the direction we did. Risk/reward analysis is not a new concept. I doubt they were trying to avoid "A" loss, but a loss of players. Not a lot of reward for a win over Army or any of these option based cut blocking centric teams.

g

Reactions: orangebloodforlife

VN Store

Back