Danny White Year 1

And he also retained Barnes preventing a disaster for the men’s program. Not to mention, he spent money on the baseball program to keep Vitello happy. But let’s not let the truth stand in the way of a good lie. ‘Guys grab your pitchforks’

Well, again, it’s been reported by several that Fulmer was willing to let Barnes walk but Randy Boyd stepped in. (Hell, I agree with Fulmer except I shutter to think who he’d hired) It was common knowledge Fulmer & Barnes weren’t close (White & Barnes aren’t close either evidently). I don’t know how much Fulmer did to keep TV on campus considering the situation last summer. Fulmer has a lot of loyalists and you’re obviously one. I understand. I think he should be honored for the NC in ‘98. But making him a messiah of UT athletics is just wrong. He wasn’t that.

Meet White in Lexington this past weekend. He seemed like a great guy and was friendly enough to take a pic with us. UT athletics seems to be in good hands with him.

I guarantee the university is not allowing them to use the term University of Tennessee for free, so they do have a connection to the school.
My daughter played on a Women's Lacrosse team while at Pepperdine. It was called "unofficial" because it had no scholarships and had to raise their own travel money, etc. Still played for Pepperdine, on campus and covered in their sports sections, but a bargain basement type affiliation.

Meet White in Lexington this past weekend. He seemed like a great guy and was friendly enough to take a pic with us. UT athletics seems to be in good hands with him.

Mark Griffin, VFL BB, called the Basilio show this week and slammed White for his lack of “friendliness” at Vandy this week. Evidently White passed MG & his friend by without acknowledging them. I understand that people like DW has to be somewhat protective in opponents facilities. Dickey wasn’t very friendly as AD even thou he was very friendly as a parent in 1984.

I agree White has done a great job thus far and has a huge challenge. Glad we have him.

A word from experience and observation over many years. When you look at a successful first year person (sometimes more) in any endeavor I can think of, you must look at the person that came before them. If any successful first year leader is truthful, they will, at least to themselves give some credit and thanks to their processor. Regardless of how that person is/was perceived by others.
75CDBA37-BE40-48FE-89BF-8E30D8A8721F.gif

Mark Griffin, VFL BB, called the Basilio show this week and slammed White for his lack of “friendliness” at Vandy this week. Evidently White passed MG & his friend by without acknowledging them. I understand that people like DW has to be somewhat protective in opponents facilities. Dickey wasn’t very friendly as AD even thou he was very friendly as a parent in 1984.

I agree White has done a great job thus far and has a huge challenge. Glad we have him.
My friends and I meet Danny in the lobby of the Hyatt before the game. He actually came up to us and started the conversation. I think it helped that one of my buddies was wearing orange n white checker boarded bibs.Very nice guy.

My friends and I meet Danny in the lobby of the Hyatt before the game. He actually came up to us and started the conversation. I think it helped that one of my buddies was wearing orange n white checker boarded bibs.Very nice guy.
REAL fans rock checkered bibs!!

Reactions: Vol Farmer

This is BS

Reactions: tdawgs
A word from experience and observation over many years. When you look at a successful first year person (sometimes more) in any endeavor I can think of, you must look at the person that came before them. If any successful first year leader is truthful, they will, at least to themselves give some credit and thanks to their processor. Regardless of how that person is/was perceived by others.

Thank you, Coach Fulmer, for giving your buddy Kevin Steele millions of dollars from the university to do nothing for a few months. Really set the Vols in the right path.

Backstabbing thief.

Fulmer gets credit? Uh.....no.

White gets kudos? Incomplete at this point. Heupel looks like a good choice for now. We don't really know if White has done a good job with the NCAA investigation as there's no info on where we stand at this point. We appear to be way behind the NIL thing which has been damaging to both men's basketball and football recruiting. I'm mostly positive about what he can do here but I'm not seeing enough evidence of progress at this point. It's very early still.

From where we were a year ago, I don't know how you can say incomplete. I mean, sure, he has a lot of work yet to do, but it has been a major turnaround from where we were.

I agree with the NIL situation, but it is new to everyone. That is the only area I would give an incomplete, or possible negative score, but I'm sure his hands are tied to some extent.

"The University of Tennessee is the only school in the country that can claim a football bowl game, NCAA Tournament bids for men’s and women’s basketball and a College World Series appearance in baseball in the calendar year of 2021, all of which makes for a pretty successful first year for athletic director Danny White.

That anniversary is Friday, and right now the Vols also can boast about the No. 1 men’s tennis team in the country, two more pending NCAA hoops bids — with Kellie Harper’s team at No. 5 in the nation, 17-1 and perhaps on its way to special things — the highest Graduation Success Rate (91 percent) in school history and a lot of reasons for 2022 football excitement. The complaints about White’s decision to hire Josh Heupel, his football coach at UCF, have turned to commendations."

"I think we’ve accomplished a lot in the first year. In my mind, I liken it to a foundation. We’re not done with the foundation yet, but we’ve done a lot of good work in building a foundation from which we can have a ton of success. I think about building a business model that allows us to go back to being the Tennessee we once were. Getting our facilities back to being at the top of the SEC and the country. We’ve started projects already and we’re working through the process of others to make sure that happens. Fundraising has gone really well in that respect. And then doing things to get our budget model and revenue machine going to the place when Tennessee was competing for national championships. Not just football but across the board. We were one of the top budgets in the SEC, one of the top Learfield Cup all-sports ranking finishers in the SEC as a department."

Rexrode, The Athletic

I think Texas managed to do that for the 20-21 academic year which is how most things are measured.

Still, things appear to be on the rise in Rocky Top. Let's keep it going in the right direction.

I give Danny White an A for sure. Also we can't forget that Randy Boyd is a bigtime sports expert in his own right which is extremely rare for UT which has had a history of hiring hapless academic nerds and bean counters too often. I don't think any SEC program is in better hands than Tennessee with these guys. Heupel was a brilliant hire.

Reactions: HalfullVol
"The University of Tennessee is the only school in the country that can claim a football bowl game, NCAA Tournament bids for men’s and women’s basketball and a College World Series appearance in baseball in the calendar year of 2021, all of which makes for a pretty successful first year for athletic director Danny White.That anniversary is Friday, and right now the Vols also can boast about the No. 1 men’s tennis team in the country, two more pending NCAA hoops bids — with Kellie Harper’s team at No. 5 in the nation, 17-1 and perhaps on its way to special things — the highest Graduation Success Rate (91 percent) in school history and a lot of reasons for 2022 football excitement. The complaints about White’s decision to hire Josh Heupel, his football coach at UCF, have turned to commendations.""I think we’ve accomplished a lot in the first year. In my mind, I liken it to a foundation. We’re not done with the foundation yet, but we’ve done a lot of good work in building a foundation from which we can have a ton of success. I think about building a business model that allows us to go back to being the Tennessee we once were. Getting our facilities back to being at the top of the SEC and the country. We’ve started projects already and we’re working through the process of others to make sure that happens. Fundraising has gone really well in that respect. And then doing things to get our budget model and revenue machine going to the place when Tennessee was competing for national championships. Not just football but across the board. We were one of the top budgets in the SEC, one of the top Learfield Cup all-sports ranking finishers in the SEC as a department." Rexrode, The Athletic

Great analysis. I think if the Vols faithful remain patient as White and hires gradually reconstruct our once proud standing university's sports teams, we will come storming back with hypercane force.

Different topic: May I suggest, given your board name, the fitting avatar below? For those who don't know, this was a WWII character drawn by Dr. Seus himself. It was classified at the time for military personnel only viewing. Animated shorts were a favorite among GI's. If any care to know more about this character, click here.
SNAFU1.jpg

Actually Fulmer was gonna hire the Louisville womens coach I believe until the Lady Vol alums told him he wasn’t.

Nevertheless, even Fulmer said when he was hired “getting Football fixed” was his top assignment. And boy did he fail at that.

For sure his football hire was a disaster, but you cannot discount the stability he passed on to White in dang near every other program that had been under his watch for 3 years. Kind of like admitting you don't care about the rest of your kids as long as your eldest is successful.

Let's also not forget that his hire was the result of an idiot dumping the previous failure without a legitimate replacement plan in his top left drawer, and after publicly fooling around in the market and spoiling the candidate list was dancing behind his bosses' backs and got canned, giving CPF a very short window and a very limited list to work with. Not a justification, just the facts. Guessing Steele then, instead of later, as an interim or not would have been the best move, but hindsite is what it is. Pruitt was for sure worst case, but the other candidate is holding up MSU as we speak. CPF's handling of the folks dealing with the day to day was pretty good based on their retention of all the coaches White doubled down on. Thrilled with the chances we have with the guy we got, but he pretty much validated CPF's non football moves for his three years. Harper is not the next Pat, don't think there is a next Pat, but you can't argue with the trend line of his second most major hire.

Ok. Congrats to Fulmer for firing Warwick and hiring Harper, however, Fulmer has to be criticized for the almost destruction of football due to his meddling and hiring of Pruitt. So, is his atta boy in women’s Bb greater than his whiff in football? I say no, due to nearly killing the cash cow. White has done a remarkable job cleaning up the mess as Heupel has done a remarkable job in stopping the program from falling off the cliff into oblivion. Now comes the harder part, getting better fast enough for the TN fans with the patience of a 2 year old.

Other than WBB what other coach did Phil hire?

Your on fire today hog, ha. He did hire Kelly, but was really forced to. He didn't want to fire Holly because she was a long time friend but LV's program had become a dumpster fire and players were leaving. Unless he hired a track coach or something I believe Pruitt and Kelly were his 2 hires. Guess he is 1-1 on that. Oh yeah I forgot about Steele, his future replacement for Pruitt before he was caught up in the trash.

Steele collected about $80K for 4 weeks work, something like that. Way to go Phil!!

Reactions: wmcovol
And he also retained Barnes preventing a disaster for the men’s program. Not to mention, he spent money on the baseball program to keep Vitello happy. But let’s not let the truth stand in the way of a good lie. ‘Guys grab your pitchforks’

Randy Boyd gets the credit for retaining Barnes in 2019 when UCLA tried to hire Barnes.

Fulmer was going to let Barnes go to UCLA.

Reactions: Rickyvol77

VN Store

Back