Danny White raise

Why? He was offered a contract and signed it. Isn't that good enough?
Yes, it was apparently good enough for him but not necessarily for me. He has a lot more responsibility jobwise than Heupel....AD vs. HC. I know that's the way it normally works in college football but I don't agree. Just my opinion.

After the 2022 football season and with both baseball and softball teams reaching the upper echelons of their respective tournaments (and the basketball team having a pretty decent year), is there any doubt that Tennessee has maybe the best AD in America? Out Athletic Department has went from a national laughing stock to the envy of the entire NCAA world in two short years.
Forget statues of legendary coaches, White keeps this up, HE needs a statue.

After the 2022 football season and with both baseball and softball teams reaching the upper echelons of their respective tournaments (and the basketball team having a pretty decent year), is there any doubt that Tennessee has maybe the best AD in America? Out Athletic Department has went from a national laughing stock to the envy of the entire NCAA world in two short years.
Idk about a statue yet but he is definitely one of the best ADs we have ever had.

Danny is surely earning his money. You know he irks the Bammers... LOL

GO VOLS!!!
Not just the Bammers...work with a HUGE UGA fan and well as two Vandy grads...they have all commented "We missed the boat on getting Danny White as AD".
Guy is writing the book on how to be successful on the field and in the financial columns at the same time.

Danny is surely earning his money. You know he irks the Bammers... LOL

GO VOLS!!!
Danny and Josh done went a broke Saban so bad that he scuttled the proposed 9 game SEC schedule so he wouldn’t have to play us every year. 😂

Reactions: Ratvol
Let's get real here, gents: We had some excellent coaches and programs long before White arrived. White didn't hire ANY of the UT coaches who've won SEC titles recently--zero. I'm pretty sure the basketball program has "clicked" because of Rick Barnes, not White, and the same for our swimming program (2 SEC titles for the women) under Kredich--one of the best coaches in the country. Same with men's tennis (a recent SEC tourney title): It's been strong for a very long time. Baseball? I suspect that a lot of fans have assumed that White hired Vitello. He didn't.

Athletic directors don't raise programs--coaches do. White has been the beneficiary of good hires by previous ADs. White deserves credit for hiring Heupel, of course--and while I'm as excited as anybody about the year we just had and the prospects for our football program going forward, it's also true that there have been many coaches who done well in their first year or two, then gotten big extensions/raises amid renewed excitement, only to flounder in subsequent years. The only other hire that White has made, soccer (SEC tourney title before the coach was hired away), is looking... not good. Best AD in the country? We'd have to at least finish in the top 10 in the All Sports rankings to make that claim even halfway valid--and we haven't

Mind you, I've got nothing against White--except for the soccer hire--but all this hype about guy turning programs around is amusing and quite accurate. Your programs are only as good as your coaches.
What's your purpose in posting this? Do you just feel it's your role to piss on parades? I can think of no reason of benefit to anyone to post such a downer soliloquy. I just don't get it, but maddeningly there always seem to be a few fans who derive more pleasure from pointing out perceived negatives than in enjoying the ups. Maybe a new hobby? Sheesh.

Danny is great at turning around programs and that is his passion. He doesn’t like maintenance. My guess is shortly after we win a natty in 24 or 25 he will leave to build back another program.
He can take sabbatical down the road at Maryville College and then come home

Reactions: OrangeTsar
Agreed. It could be considered that every Vol program is a top 8 in their sport. That is football, basketball, women’s basketball, softball, and baseball. Do not know about track, tennis, or soccer. But has this ever happened before?

Agreed. It could be considered that every Vol program is a top 8 in their sport. That is football, basketball, women’s basketball, softball, and baseball. Do not know about track, tennis, or soccer. But has this ever happened before?
Still think we need a curling 🥌 squad.
B7FDE9B1-FB7D-4637-AF4F-9C680E6D7E52.gif

Reactions: #1HomeGrownUTVOL
TN just won the SEC All sports trophy for this past season which is the first time in SEC history the same school won both men's and women's all sports trophies in the same season. That's a big deal. A good AD makes a huge difference as he is the one who decides if a coach is doing their jobs up to the expectations of the school and the one who can do something about it if they are not.

Just go back to the days of Mike Hamilton, who single handedly destroyed the UT sports programs to see what happens when you have an incompetent AD for multiple yrs.

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
TN just won the SEC All sports trophy for this past season which is the first time in SEC history the same school won both men's and women's all sports trophies in the same season. That's a big deal. A good AD makes a huge difference as he is the one who decides if a coach is doing their jobs up to the expectations of the school and the one who can do something about it if they are not.

Just go back to the days of Mike Hamilton, who single handedly destroyed the UT sports programs to see what happens when you have an incompetent AD for multiple yrs.
AND we won the All Sports trophies whilst also simultaneously scoring the highest GPAs in school history. That raises the accomplishment to a whole different order of magnitude

Men's tennis was the #8 overall, this year, though we're upset in the S16 by South Carolina. They made the Final Four in the NCAAT, last year, losing to eventual champ, UVA, in the semis. UVA has won the last two men's titles.

Women's tennis also made the S16.

Women's soccer has finished #1 or #2 in the SEC East in each of the past 3 seasons. Lost in the 1st round of the NCAAT, last year, and made the S16 in 2021 after winning the SECT.

Danny White is 43 years old. Let's imagine he continues to improve on his record and becomes of of the best ADs ever in the US. What does he do next? Would he entertain becoming the President of the University of Tennessee system? Does the title of SEC Commissioner or NCAA (better yet, whatever organization replaces it) President have a nice ring to it for Mr. White? I'm sure AD White could garner the support to become governor or US Senator from Tennessee. What say ye?

Last edited:
Bill Parcells/The Big Tuna “You are who your numbers say you are.”

if The Big Tuna was right and I think he is, then Danny White certainly has stellar numbers having had the job for a short period. He deserves top tier pay of all P5 ADs.

Reactions: vol94
I do want to make one point. For all of the crazy and inexplicable decisions that AD Currie made in his time here, we DO have him to thank for CTV. So credit where credit is due….thanks John Currie

I remember when John McKay was paid $48K per year for being both the head football coach and the AD at USC. Of course if he wanted or needed anything, he got it one way or the other.

Money is out of control in college athletics. At some point, it will reach critical mass. Maybe it already has.

we are paying top dollar for strong results. The scope of the baseball stadium renovations has been doubled. We are gonna throw over $90m into a stadium that currently seats 4000 or so. That’s insane, but he’s bringing in the 💰.

VN Store

Back