Danny White raise

Let's get real here, gents: We had some excellent coaches and programs long before White arrived. White didn't hire ANY of the UT coaches who've won SEC titles recently--zero. I'm pretty sure the basketball program has "clicked" because of Rick Barnes, not White, and the same for our swimming program (2 SEC titles for the women) under Kredich--one of the best coaches in the country. Same with men's tennis (a recent SEC tourney title): It's been strong for a very long time. Baseball? I suspect that a lot of fans have assumed that White hired Vitello. He didn't.

Athletic directors don't raise programs--coaches do. White has been the beneficiary of good hires by previous ADs. White deserves credit for hiring Heupel, of course--and while I'm as excited as anybody about the year we just had and the prospects for our football program going forward, it's also true that there have been many coaches who done well in their first year or two, then gotten big extensions/raises amid renewed excitement, only to flounder in subsequent years. The only other hire that White has made, soccer (SEC tourney title before the coach was hired away), is looking... not good. Best AD in the country? We'd have to at least finish in the top 10 in the All Sports rankings to make that claim even halfway valid--and we haven't

Mind you, I've got nothing against White--except for the soccer hire--but all this hype about guy turning programs around is amusing and quite accurate. Your programs are only as good as your coaches.

Oh wow..... well let me ask did Fulmer throw a ***** block party for UT baseball ? What about watch parties for Basketball ?... He may not have hired these coaches but you can damn sure bet they are appreciative of White and his support for all Athletics.. What other AD have we had that has listened to fans about V O L lettering at the top of Neyland or Interaction with disaster victims. He is the best we have had, time will prove this. So yes I would say White is a big part of the rise. The UT admin team and their support staff have had an enormous impact on UT.

Danny White deserves every penny UT has signed him for.Look at what he has done since his arrival.My top one is getting the VOLS letters back on the stadium.And give Coach Rodney Garner any amount to keep him here until he becomes 96 years old.

Plowman and Boyd get all the credit for hiring White away from Central Florida and I think White will have a Woodruff or Dickey type career as the Tennessee athletic director for a very long time.
It was fun when that thread was bumped and we got to relive posters bisching about paying both White’s and Heupel’s buyouts…along with their pay hikes. Think cheap get worthless. 😎

Reactions: Volfan1000
Tennessee struggled with poor to horrendous leadership at all levels for so long that we should never, ever take for granted what it’s like for it to be an obvious strength of the current university structure. I’m very happy White, Huepel, Vitello, etc., are getting getting market value for their success.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Al Orange
Let's get real here, gents: We had some excellent coaches and programs long before White arrived. White didn't hire ANY of the UT coaches who've won SEC titles recently--zero. I'm pretty sure the basketball program has "clicked" because of Rick Barnes, not White, and the same for our swimming program (2 SEC titles for the women) under Kredich--one of the best coaches in the country. Same with men's tennis (a recent SEC tourney title): It's been strong for a very long time. Baseball? I suspect that a lot of fans have assumed that White hired Vitello. He didn't.

Athletic directors don't raise programs--coaches do. White has been the beneficiary of good hires by previous ADs. White deserves credit for hiring Heupel, of course--and while I'm as excited as anybody about the year we just had and the prospects for our football program going forward, it's also true that there have been many coaches who done well in their first year or two, then gotten big extensions/raises amid renewed excitement, only to flounder in subsequent years. The only other hire that White has made, soccer (SEC tourney title before the coach was hired away), is looking... not good. Best AD in the country? We'd have to at least finish in the top 10 in the All Sports rankings to make that claim even halfway valid--and we haven't

Mind you, I've got nothing against White--except for the soccer hire--but all this hype about guy turning programs around is amusing and quite accurate. Your programs are only as good as your coaches.

Let me help you a bit

Since White launched the My All Campaign in the summer of 2021, the Tennessee Fund has engaged with close to 13,000 "new" donors—individuals who had never previously given to Tennessee Athletics.

White announced in December that commitments to the My All Campaign had climbed to more than $361 million—72 percent of the campaign's goal of raising $500 million by summer 2026.

Multiple innovative initiatives spearheaded by White—such as moving the department's outbound ticket sales operation in-house, increasing sponsorship revenue nearly 10 percent and introducing a pair of new and popular premium-seating offerings at Neyland Stadium, to name only a few—led to Tennessee Athletics posting its highest-ever single-year operating revenue of $154.5 million in FY22—with significant growth again forecasted for FY23.

Its not just that he has some successful coaches on staff already - he is crushing the BUSINESS of the AD. THAT is his real job and he is doing fan-frikkin-tastic at it. Granted, it all goes oh so much more smoothly when UTfootball is going well and he knows that.

So well deserved. He’s been a breath of fresh air. At a time we were at our lowest. Seriously…compare DW professionalism, intelligence, vision, and energy I what we had before him. Obviously, PF should have never been anywhere close to that ad office. But even Currie and hart had never demonstrated any of the traits I listed above. None of them had a track record of totally revamping a program. They were both right place, right time. I especially hated the Dave Hart higher. He is a lifelong Bamer. Born and bred. We went and got him specifically because he worked in that Bama A.D. office as an assistant. Pathetic. And then that’s exactly what PF did with the Pruitt hire. He looked at who’s winning and hired an assistant from there. How uncreative could someone possibly be? Those programs thrived long before those respective assistants were ever involved. They had nothing to do with the program’s success. Whoever hired those last 3 AD’s should’ve been fired along with them.

Absolutely well deserved. Congrats to Danny White and his family. He has the whole university athletic department pulling on the same rope for the first time in 20 years. He has united the fan base with great decisions and hires. I can’t think of one bad thing to say about Mr. White. I hope he stays for a long long time. Go Vols.

We need stability. That’s what all of this has done in the last few days. It hasn’t been so long ago that we were in total disarray. Well deserved raises because the proof is in the pudding. I look forward to many more years of stability in a competitive environment in our athletics department.

Not paying him enough, the man can’t even get two popcorns for he and his wife

Attachments

• F9980AF9-5E36-4E23-927A-B8DD5DC55944.jpeg
    F9980AF9-5E36-4E23-927A-B8DD5DC55944.jpeg
    795.3 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: Coach_Z
So well deserved. He’s been a breath of fresh air. At a time we were at our lowest. Seriously…compare DW professionalism, intelligence, vision, and energy I what we had before him. Obviously, PF should have never been anywhere close to that ad office. But even Currie and hart had never demonstrated any of the traits I listed above. None of them had a track record of totally revamping a program. They were both right place, right time. I especially hated the Dave Hart higher. He is a lifelong Bamer. Born and bred. We went and got him specifically because he worked in that Bama A.D. office as an assistant. Pathetic. And then that’s exactly what PF did with the Pruitt hire. He looked at who’s winning and hired an assistant from there. How uncreative could someone possibly be? Those programs thrived long before those respective assistants were ever involved. They had nothing to do with the program’s success. Whoever hired those last 3 AD’s should’ve been fired along with them.

It really is refreshing. I know it's just football and sports, but White's impact is huge around Knoxville. Bringing the city and businesses a ton of revenue. University applications are up 50%. It's good for the community financially and brings us together as a town. Really something for everyone. Business, academia, sports fans, etc.

And you bring up a great point about all the attempts to just "copy and paste" AL people here, magically hoping for success. It's clear people like White and Heupel are hungry to build something and not afraid to put in the legwork. These guys deserve every penny.

Danny is great at turning around programs and that is his passion. He doesn’t like maintenance. My guess is shortly after we win a natty in 24 or 25 he will leave to build back another program.
??? If I'm not mistaken, every job change has been a career advancement move to a bigger stage. He's now at a place where he is the highest paid AD in the SEC and one of the highest in the nation. The stage doesn't get much bigger. Where would he go?

The man made the Department in his own image, and that image is excellence and class.
Tough combination.
He does great things with such a smooth leadership style.

Oh wow..... well let me ask did Fulmer throw a ***** block party for UT baseball ? What about watch parties for Basketball ?... He may not have hired these coaches but you can damn sure bet they are appreciative of White and his support for all Athletics.. What other AD have we had that has listened to fans about V O L lettering at the top of Neyland or Interaction with disaster victims. He is the best we have had, time will prove this. So yes I would say White is a big part of the rise. The UT admin team and their support staff have had an enormous impact on UT.
Culture. . . . He builds culture.

Early qualifier for most uniformed post of the year. Congrats. It's not even February

VN Store

Back