Daniel West ruled ineligible

We have no idea how good West would have been this year. At least Maze is eligible. Bruce will have to figure out how to best utilize Tabb and Prince when Maze is on the bench. I agree that the timing reeks.

I guess I'm missing something... why is that?

Let's hope he goes to Pellissippi for the rest of the year, gets eligible and comes back next season.

"
Pearl said West's options are to finish the fall semester at UT – which he must now pay for – and transfer to a junior college, or, finish the entire school year at UT at his expense and be eligible for next season.
"

I wonder what he will do. Of course, scratch the extra scholly if he decides to stay. He wouldn't be able to practice though, so he'd basically lose a year of progression.

"
Pearl said his heart goes out to West, who had passed through the NCAA Clearinghouse before his standardized test score was flagged.
“The frustration is he passed many checks and balances and was in summer school and did very well,'' Pearl said. “To get the rug pulled out from underneath you is certainly disappointing."
"

That part makes me very angry.

"
Pearl said West's options are to finish the fall semester at UT – which he must now pay for – and transfer to a junior college, or, finish the entire school year at UT at his expense and be eligible for next season.
"

I wonder what he will do. Of course, scratch the extra scholly if he decides to stay. He wouldn't be able to practice though, so he'd basically lose a year of progression.

"
Pearl said his heart goes out to West, who had passed through the NCAA Clearinghouse before his standardized test score was flagged.
“The frustration is he passed many checks and balances and was in summer school and did very well,'' Pearl said. “To get the rug pulled out from underneath you is certainly disappointing."
"

That part makes me very angry.

I would find a really good lawyer! How in the world could someone go throught the clearinghouse, be enrolled (and pass) summer school, and be more than halfway through a 2nd semester successfully be ruled ineligible based on a preentrance test score that was already approved. Why is there not a reasonable time frame for ruling on this stuff at the NCAA? The NCAA needs serious reform!

I'd like to know what Hat thinks about this.
I think it gives me a chance to revise my SEC East preview, which has already been turned into management, to place Tennessee 3rd in the East. I also think several coaches who arched their eyebrows at Ramar Smith gaining initial eligibility at UT are subtly smiling at this outcome.

Just read it on volnation's home page..
this is HORRIBLE news..
the NCAA makes me sooo mad that they just now decide within less than a week before the season starts..

Now Prince is the only backup PG that we got.. and we know what it did to us last season ! :(

hopefully Maze doesnt get hurt, and i pray it wont kill us not having a backup PG come the NCAA tourney..

So, does this mean that we will see Tyler Smith handling the ball when Maze isn't on the floor?

So, does this mean that we will see Tyler Smith handling the ball when Maze isn't on the floor?

Probably.
Bruce will have to do some juggling. Prince will log minutes both on the wing and as the backup PG. Tabb will probably fill-in at PG as needed - that's when someone like Tyler will be needed to help distribute the ball. Remember two seasons ago when someone else would bring it up and then hand it to Dane Bradshaw. At least we know that Tabb is a solid on-ball defender.

Think about the play we got at PG last season. We won the SEC and reached the Sweet 16 again.
Here's hoping The Solution lives up to his adopted nickname.

To me, this means Josh Tabb is going to have to step up, big-time. He's been kind of the forgotten man and clearly he's in Pearl's doghouse. We know he's not much of a scoring threat, but he's strong defensively. I'd trust him more than Prince, though. What say ye, Hat: can Tabb play 10-12 minutes at point per game?

for all you sky-is-falling types: we did pretty well last year with Jordan Howell playing 15+ minutes a game at the point.

To me, this means Josh Tabb is going to have to step up, big-time. He's been kind of the forgotten man and clearly he's in Pearl's doghouse. We know he's not much of a scoring threat, but he's strong defensively. I'd trust him more than Prince, though. What say ye, Hat: can Tabb play 10-12 minutes at point per game?

for all you sky-is-falling types: we did pretty well last year with Jordan Howell playing 15+ minutes a game at the point.

I love the way Tabb plays, and if he can give us 12 minutes or so at the point with his energy, then I am all for it. In my opinion, I really think he can help us, now that West is out. Would rather West had not been ruled ineligible, but sometimes good things come from what seem like bad things at the time.

What say ye, Hat: can Tabb play 10-12 minutes at point per game?
That's the $64,000 question. I have no doubt he can do it defensively. He hasn't handled the ball enough in game situations to make an informed call on his ability to run the offense.

I am confident Bruce will find a gameplan that best fits this team with the lack of depth at point. I don't believe he will make the same mistake with JP at point like the tourney last year. Maybe prince has improved his ball handling skills significantly?? :dunno:

This is going to absolutely kill our depth at PG... get ready to see Prince at the point again...

VN Store

Back