Daniel Hood on Pruitt compared to Butch

Wait this is saying the same thing two ways....

I think he's trying to say that when Butch was here, he "coached effort" (i.e., tried a lot of motivating), then would try and correct technique.

With this staff, there's just a standard of effort you are expected to provide, with technique being taught all the time.

I agree with wmc that the fact Butch had to "coach effort" is disconcerting. At any high-functioning organization, putting in a certain level of effort is just a given; it doesn't have to be coached.

Reactions: 1 person
While I agree, does not mean a guaranteed fix.

SEC is full of ball coaches, Butch style was the exception in the league, not the norm.

We don't all of a sudden have something no one else has, we finally have what everyone else has had.

But that in itself is a big improvement.

Butch did feel more like a Marketing guy. To be fair, his tactics generated a lot of money for UT football, just not a lot of wins

Butch did feel more like a Marketing guy. To be fair, his tactics generated a lot of money for UT football, just not a lot of wins

Butch was a fraud trying to grasp for whatever ancillary thing he could to keep fans from realizing he was hopelessly out of his league coaching at the D1, P5 level, especially in the SEC. He gave it his best shot, no doubt that he worked as hard as he could, just didn’t have it in him. The “marketing guy” part was designed to fool fans as long as possible before he was “found out”. Good on him that he was able to stretch it out for 5 seasons and $20+ million from the UT AD coffers.

Reactions: 2 people
Butch was a fraud trying to grasp for whatever ancillary thing he could to keep fans from realizing he was hopelessly out of his league coaching at the D1, P5 level, especially in the SEC. He gave it his best shot, no doubt that he worked as hard as he could, just didn’t have it in him. The “marketing guy” part was designed to fool fans as long as possible before he was “found out”. Good on him that he was able to stretch it out for 5 seasons and $20+ million from the UT AD coffers.

Well making more money doesn't hurt, especially when it comes to facility, the stadium renovations, our new staff's salary, and all of the buyouts that we have.

"One of the reasons Butch lost his job was that he lost his discipline and accountability when he lost Dave Lawson. The accountability is at an all-time high right now and it is not a surprise that accountability and discipline is the first things that were fixed when they came in.”

Probably the most insightful part of the story IMO.

How Jones thought he could skate by the way he handled the S&C program was and will continue to be beyond me.

Of course Daniel Hood said CBJ was a major improvement over CDD too...and that may be true even though CBJ was a failure.

What does that say about CDD? ...and the Mizzou Tigers for hiring him as OC?

Wow, we sure could pick um!

Well maybe the tide is turning (pun) as "Old School" Pruitt here to save the day.

not really. you look around the league at the current head coaches, and their level of success they've had, what their backgrounds our, their basic fundamental philosophy about football (except maybe Malzahn) either as HC's or as assistants/coordinators, and i'd say he's exactly right....we've finally got what all these other programs have had....for a while now.
Well, now, Jake. Let's take a breath and look at this for a bit. If we're talking Bama (Saban), UGA (Smart), UF (Mullen), and now A&M (Jimbo), then I'm all in there with ya'. That's just five outta' fourteen, though. Looking at the other nine, we've just not got that type of HC setup. There's Malzahn at Auby and Muschamp at SCjr. They're not quite there with Malzahn's annual spate of hiccups and only one decent (and that's only decent) season under Muschamp's belt. Stoops at UK, Mason at Vandy and Odom at Mizzou don't cut muster. We don't really know what Chad Morris will be able to pull off at Arky. He was a hit at TCU, sure, but he Big 12 just isn't the SEC, so that's simply a question awaiting an answer. Same's true for PSU's ex-OC Joe Morehead at MSU...only with maybe a bit lower-placed set of expectations. I don't think Orgeron at LSU's up to that upper-cut level. Do you? Matt Luke is in that same Orgeron setup; might work out a winner but just as easily might not. 'Not meaning to pee in your Cheerios, ole pal, but I'm gona' hafta' differ with you just a bit.

Okay, you want to hire felons as police officers? Sex offenders as day care workers? Buglars as housemaids?
Terrible analogy. He more than paid his due for a crime that he committed when he was 12 (?). He deserved a second chance and I'm glad he got one.. as are most reasonable people.

Reactions: 14 people
Okay, you want to hire felons as police officers? Sex offenders as day care workers? Buglars as housemaids?

Gollum-Confused.gif

Reactions: 6 people
Well, now, Jake. Let's take a breath and look at this for a bit. If we're talking Bama (Saban), UGA (Smart), UF (Mullen), and now A&M (Jimbo), then I'm all in there with ya'.
isn't that group we want to compete with????? so yeah, that should be the peer group we look at.

That's just five outta' fourteen, though.
honestly, i i don't really care about the others. that's not who i'm looking to hang out with.

Looking at the other nine, we've just not got that type of HC setup. There's Malzahn at Auby and Muschamp at SCjr. They're not quite there with Malzahn's annual spate of hiccups and only one decent (and that's only decent) season under Muschamp's belt.
and still, going back to my original point, both of those guys were uber successful as assistants/coordinators and both (i think Muschamp won one somewhere, LSU?) have national titles as assistants/coordinators, which was where i was coming from originally...

Stoops at UK, Mason at Vandy and Odom at Mizzou don't cut muster.
agreed, and don't care.

We don't really know what Chad Morris will be able to pull off at Arky. He was a hit at TCU, sure, but he Big 12 just isn't the SEC, so that's simply a question awaiting an answer
a) chad morris was, again, a very successful OC at Clemson and b) he came from SMU.

Same's true for PSU's ex-OC Joe Morehead at MSU...only with maybe a bit lower-placed set of expectations. I don't think Orgeron at LSU's up to that upper-cut level. Do you?
as former successful assistants/coordinators that are now head coaches in the SEC, yes, i do.

Matt Luke is in that same Orgeron setup; might work out a winner but just as easily might not. 'Not meaning to pee in your Cheerios, ole pal, but I'm gona' hafta' differ with you just a bit.
i'm not trying to swim in the same pool as Luke.

as for disagreeing with me, that's fine. but you're disagreeing with me on a point i never tried to make.:good!:

Man everything I read about Pruitt fires me the f*** up. We have a ball coach now boys and girls. Bright days ahead.

Man, I wish I could share your optimism. However, we have been burned one too many times. Right when you can't see something going wrong has been when something can rear it's ugly head: failures to evaluate, discipline, respect, lack of common sense. I could go on all day but you get the gist. But I hope the Hell you are right. We need a real ball coach, not another jackwagon.

Dammit to Hell, I am sick as Hell of this judgmental horse crap. Get it through your thick skull, the courts handled what he did as a minor. He has paid a heavy price for it, and has moved forward.

Why don't we have somebody dig into your past and find something crappy you did? Then we can post it all over the web so you get reminded of it till the day your putrid ass goes to the grave.

And just so you know, my housemaid is a bugler. And if she doesn't stop blowing reville at 6 AM every morning, I am firing her.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
I thought he was a confederate civil war general.
Yea, he got his arm crippled at Gettysburg and lost a leg at Chickamauga.:eek:lol: Actually that was John Bell Hood but he could be a relative of Daniel.

Last edited:
i think it's funny that the guy that posts next is named Shoney, and the guy above, that's not, has the shoney's big boy as his avatar.

Reactions: 7 people
i think it's funny that the guy that posts next is named Shoney, and the guy above, that's not, has the shoney's big boy as his avatar.

I got the nickname Shoney when I was in High school, they said I kind of favored the Shoney Big Boy, only I was much better looking.:) The name stuck in college, most people I went to college with only knew me by my nickname including professors. Professors would call roll the first day and l would say call me Shoney. Only the guys in my Fraternity knew my real name.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back