Dan Mullen or Greg Schanio? Now Currie's targets

LOL one coached at Florida in the worst division in football and the other at Missifreaking State in the toughest division in football. Give me a break.

And they wanted him at Florida OVER DAN MULLEN

And they KNEW DAN MULLEN AT FLORIDA FROM BEING THE OC FOR A NC!

What's that tell you about Dan Mullen?

Reactions: 1 person
Ole Miss in the same state had zero problems beating Alabama in the same time Mullen has had at State!!!

And Mullen couldn't beat Saban because Dan Mullen is at a Mississippi school???

Dan Mullen is a great OC a very average HC

So that's the bar? Beat Alabama, yet still go average, then get fired and on probation for cheating? How many East titles does Mullen win at FLORIDA or Tenn?

two words.....Mississippi. State. if you're not willing to even entertain the notion that thsoe two words have at least SOMETHING to do with the results not being what you might like them to be, then it's not really worth having the conversation.

if you throw up his record against the top 25 or against the SEC, there's a lot of easy counters to that, that no one really can deny..........you're just choosing to ignore it.

and that's fine with me. doesn't make it any less true.

Reactions: 5 people
I am on board with Schanio. Proven NCAA coach and some NFL experience. Most importantly, very little to no buy out and can be in place after next Saturday.

are you writing the check? why on earth is that "most improtant"?

What was his record at the end of that year when they were ranked number 1? Yea no thanks.

10-3....yeah, that sucks, no thanks, he’s horrible. Btw, they finished #11 in the country that year, but you’re right, our program (6 losing seasons in the last decade) is way too good for Mullen, he’s rotten.

Ftr, he’s 69-45 at lowly Miss State, arguably the 2nd most difficult job in the SEC behind Vandy. He coaches in what has been considered the most difficult division in college football for at least 6-7 years now. Played toe to toe with and damn near beat Alabama last week....same Bama team that beat us 45-7 a few weeks ago.

He’s taken average 3 star Dak Prescott and low 3 star Nick Fitzgerald and won a ton of games with both of them. Please also recall he was Urban Meyer’s QC coach and was the one primarily responsible for Alex Smith being taken #1 overall. Please also recall that he was both Chris Leak’s and Tim Tebow’s OC and QB coach at Florida, when they were winning national titles in 2006 and 2008. As alluded to, he comes from the Urban Meyer coaching tree, but what does that matter?

But hey, you’re right, he’s a horrible candidate for Tennessee. He likely couldn’t do more at Tennessee with all its resources and cash than he did at Miss State, which has neither.

Reactions: 4 people
I am on board with Schanio. Proven NCAA coach and some NFL experience. Most importantly, very little to no buy out and can be in place after next Saturday.

Shouldn’t whether or not he can be successful in the SEC (of which there is zero evidence) be considerably more important than what his buyout is.

Hell, I ain’t got no stinking buyout, hire me.

My lord anyone but schiano ! We should have just kept butch if our expectations are this low . Wow never thought we would ever be so desperate to actually considering a pedophile enabler who gave up 55 points to Iowa w " a Better DL than any he had in the NFL "

Sheesh

Last edited:
Report: Vols AD John Currie met with Jon Gruden as procedural move, 2 other candidates emerge
Looks like Gruden out...

Please no Dan Mullen!!!!!

Take the hard nose successful HC!

Bring on Schanio!!' Please Currie

No way i take Schanio. He made Rutgers good, oh wow. Its not the SEC. I would take Mullen in a minute. He was the OC at Florida. He has Miss St playing good every year in the SEC west. He can develop QBs. Givin the resorces at Tennessee he could recruit even better. We get smashed every year against Alabama. He lost to Bama in the last minute. I know he could get better players to come to Tennessee than he can at Miss St. He is a proven SEC coach.

Hierarchy according to this novice (meaning me):

Tier 1

Saban
Meyer
Gruden
Kelly
Patterson
Franklin

Tier 2

Riley
Schiano
Mullen
Campbell
Frost
Kiffin

I would put Petersen in Tier 1 list, or Tier 1b at least. I would take a much more experienced Mullen over those others (not saying they're bad choices.)

Campbell before those two for sure.

Explosive, expensive, and experienced

Players hated his military style approach in Tampa, he won’t be popular with recruits. Hard pass for me as we couldn’t get rid of him quick enough here in Tampa. We are in some serious trouble if he even gets an interview.
Yeah, recruits like the easygoing touchy-feely approach of guys like Nick Saban.

Both of those options suck.

Also, the fact that Currie is interviewing other coaches does NOT mean that Gruden is out of the picture. It just means that Currie isn't a complete fool. He's investigating backup options.

It means all those Pied Pipers leading the rubes in the Gruden threads around by the nose claiming it was a done deal, signed MOUs/Contracts/dates for announcing were FOS as well.

I would put Petersen in Tier 1 list, or Tier 1b at least. I would take a much more experienced Mullen over those others (not saying they're bad choices.)

Good point. I always forget about Petersen because for so many years he got offers and never left Boise. Mullen intrigued me. He’s not a “sexy” hire, but he’s clearly a very good coach. Then again, I’d probably have put him in the same category as Richt at UGA, now he’s got Miami undefeated in year 2.

His overall losing SEC Record and up till this year has only been above 500 in SEC play one year. He loses games yearly that he shouldn't and was lucky to win yesterday. His issues with Flor are more with Strickland not being able to stand him. He's got a reputation as being hard to work with and isn't gonna win over many recruits parents with his personality. Even the year he got to #1 his team faded shortly after. They lost to Ala then finished the rest of the year losing 3 of their last 4. If we are gonna pay a coach 5.5+ mill a year he should atleast have won something and not have a losing conference record. We could definitely do worse and based off our last few hires we have but when you really dive into his record it's not worthy of that kind of money. Especially with yearly loses and close calls to teams like S.ala,Troy,Umass,a bad BYU team and that horrid yearly regular season OOC schedule should be 4 guaranteed wins before you take the first snap bis teams have lost quite a few of those inexplicably and inexcusable loses. My point is if we are spending that much for a HC the full body of work should be worthy of that kind of payday.JMO and I know many will agree and disagree with me.

Then who are we hiring? Who are real, legit options. Please don’t start with Gruden, Stoops or Patterson. Go ahead, give us the list.....

Mullen finished 2nd in the SECW once, and Schiano finished 2nd in the Big East once. Reaching for the stars!

Imagine if Franklin had stayed at Vandy, he would've never won the SEC and he would've never maintained even a 60% winning percentage. Wouldn't have meant he was a bad coach, would've just meant that he didn't have the same ammo that others might have at their disposal. That's Mullen imo

VN Store

Back